Am I doing something wrong?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doesn't seem like you're doing anything wrong. Just the nature of the beast; some sites are littered with trash = More dug trash.

There could be some way to reduce the false signals on the wet sand, I bet, though I'm not familiar with your machine.

fpelt

Greenie
May 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the solution is experience. I have the smaller coil, which helps. Your ears will learn to pick out a good signal so you don’t have to dig everything. There’s a ton of tips out there to help you. Swing slowly and listen to what your machine is telling you.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the AT Pro with the Cors Scout coil and never get chatter in dry or wet sand even at max sensitivity. It could be though that my coil is a tad bit better than the stock coil. Do you ground balance alot during beach hunts ? I've discovered sand doesn't give a consistent ground balance number so as I move to different areas of the beach I re-ground balance accordingly. Also another good tip is to keep your coil a few inches higher off the sand than normal. This method seems to give a more accurate vdi number. Try STD coin mode in sand and dig only targets above 77. When you get used to this .... switch to all metal in STD mode to start finding the gold.
As an AT Pro owner the best advise I can give you is have patience and don't rush your hunts. The more you swing... the more confident you'll be at it and the more treasure you will find !
...and most of all ... remember to HAVE FUN. -If your not having fun your in the wrong hobby.

-To give you an idea on how my detector reacts to sand .... here's a vid of me last year on vacation with it at Cocoa Beach Florida. -This was in wet sand...

Last edited:

potheadlady

May 7, 2018
Alamo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's best to have an ear like the others out if you have a strong reading then it will be a consistent sound and the more high pitched the better for me

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude you can have a good day or bad day with any machine, check you connections, make sure you have good batteries, swing close and steady.

Most important thing, you are not going to find the ceremonial knife of Shangri La each time, accept it and have fun.

Now if you really want to feel frustration, go get you a GPZ and get on some bad ground. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread