Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: What is your BEST Pulltab Story?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19507 times
    Metal Detecting

What is your BEST Pulltab Story?

It was a cloudy, humid, mid-summer day in White Plains, NY. I was detecting “Battle Hill,” or Chatterton’s Hill, as it was known in late October 1776. After raking out a 20’ x 20’ section near a 300-year-old Oak tree, I started detecting. As I was checking near the roots of the old Oak, I got a faint but repeatable signal. As I dug down, my Sampson shovel immediately hit a 7” in diameter root.

I spent the next 10-minutes attempting to dig under the root, running into rocks and smaller roots as I worked. After 15-minutes, I took a break, had a swallow of water, and pulled out my pinpointer. A beep! I was close. Four minutes later, sweating and cursing, I had my prize in hand - A pulltab from “The Battle of White Plains, 2017.”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	1585781  

us
    Ryan

Nov 2017
    Wisconsin
    ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
    640 times
    Metal Detecting
    I was on the old fort site here in town, when I dug my first ever pewter U*S button. It was a steady 45-46 signal on my Ace, and only 3" deep. I was ecstatic, and pretty quickly got another almost identical signal. I dug a plug with my hori-hori knife that had to be 10" across and all 7" of the blade deep. I was NOT hitting this Button! After 20 minutes or so of surgically removing the soil in search of my second prize, I not only pull out a pop tab, but I pull out 3. My plug was that big! My hunting buddy was never "happier" for me!
    From Wisconsin, Iowa, or Minnesota? Join the group:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gr...s-iowa-mn.html

us
    Dec 2017
    Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
    97 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a hard one to top, Terry : )
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800,CTX with Coiltek 14x9 coil, T-Rex scoop, ATPro and 5 Excals
    967 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I had one wedge in between my coil cover and coil once. Took my about 5 minutes to figure what was wrong with my detector and too this day I still cannot figure out how it got there.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    333 times
    oh come on Terry can there be such a thing as a best pull tab story ? i hate lawyers they are on top of my list then doctors. but then suddenly when i'm out detecting pull tabs automatically become top tenders. can anybody relate ? it does'nt shock me how you refer to sweating and swearing ! i actually found 2 pull tabs that i have never came across ever again. never seen any others like them ? i've had them laying around for years, who knows 5,6 maybe 7 years ? just sitting there waiting for somebody to remind me of posting a picture. see thats what antidepressants do ?? "head in the clouds" i'll post a picture later to see if any of our experts can i.d then K.......................p.s forgot to say how patriotic of you to post the pulltab in front of the american flagClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1103170824-00.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	1586254

Name:	1103170824-01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	1586253  
    Last edited by nomad 11; May 04, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Terry Soloman and Inspector like this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    I had one wedge in between my coil cover and coil once. Took my about 5 minutes to figure what was wrong with my detector and too this day I still cannot figure out how it got there.
    silly wabbit ? God put it there just to dwive you nuts ?
    toddbbq likes this.

Nov 2012
    670 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was swinging and had a good reading and when I dug I found a pull tab. I almost just left it there instead of putting it in my trash pocket. I picked it up and it had a chain thru the hole and on close examination it was a 14 K pull tab piece of jewelry and chain (broken) necklace that was very nice. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/163001506941?chn=ps
    Last edited by bowwinkles; May 03, 2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Terry Soloman and nomad 11 like this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    I was swinging and had a good reading and when I dug I found a pull tab. I almost just left it there instead of putting it in my trash pocket. I picked it up and it had a chain thru the hole and on close examination it was a 14 K pull tab piece of jewelry and chain (broken) necklace that was very nice. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/163001506941?chn=ps
    obviously a metal detectorist would'nt want to be reminded of what a pulltab looks like let alone wear one ? and 200 bucks ? no,no,no
    Terry Soloman and Normsel like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5463 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    One day at the beach, I noticed a bunch of unfilled holes and junk laying next to them. Cursing under my breath while kicking sand back into the holes and picking up the trash, I noticed the offender down the beach a ways. I know the guy and have mentioned his inappropriate behavior to him before. Don't know anyone who likes him.......a total dirt bag. At one of his holes, I picked up a pull tab for the umteenth time and then swept over the hole. Hmm, another signal. I dig down and found a nice gold ring. I was tempted to go rub it in to him, but, then thought again that it would be better not to help him realize his mistakes. Maybe he'll give up and quit the hobby.....for the benefit of all of us.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19507 times
    Metal Detecting
    Keep 'em coming!

Name:	persistence.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	1586268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necklace 005.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	1586269  

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13018 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Mine was just the other day. I went back to the "detectorists amusement park", the 55 acre farm we were the first ones in. After a short hour hunt, I had a bunch of early relics and one pull tab. But it looked funny. It was a silver Indian trade piece that looks like a pull tab. Who would have thought?

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    771 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    This don't match the others but the 3rd day I had my E-800 I had a good signal and knew it was deep. Was hoping it was a ring. I dug a big 8" plug then kept digging and at 12" I found a gold tab. It was my 1st deep find with the E-800

cudamark jerks like that guy never learn.. I was told F-O by a guy using a Sampson shovel in a park then just kicking hole full and moving on. He didn't even dig plugs. I said you're going to get us banned from detecting these parks and he said so what when I leave I won't be back to this one. He said F-O dude and leave me alone. I said well I would be totally embarrassed to let anyone see that piece of junk detector you use.. I said I find everything you don't and you don't find much with that detector. I said I already pulled $4 following you and you're lucky to have $1.50. Of course I was lying. He looked over at me and left.. Never seen him again but that don't mean he quit detecting, most likely destroying parks in another city.
    Terry Soloman likes this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    9583 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    My best pull tab story--is still ongoing: I haven't found one in over a year.
    Don..........

Nov 2012
    670 times
    Over the years I have pulled a ton of pull tabs from the ground metal detecting, this morning I took a trip to one of our local fishing docks to do bit of magnet fishing. You guessed it every throw yielded several rusty tabs. Evidently we have had a beer drinking fisherman who got very little fishing done and a whole lot of drinking done.
    can_slaw and Terry Soloman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5463 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Rusty tabs? Never seen any steel ones. Maybe that's because I disc out iron targets. What do they come on?
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links