What is your BEST Pulltab Story?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a cloudy, humid, mid-summer day in White Plains, NY. I was detecting “Battle Hill,” or Chatterton’s Hill, as it was known in late October 1776. After raking out a 20’ x 20’ section near a 300-year-old Oak tree, I started detecting. As I was checking near the roots of the old Oak, I got a faint but repeatable signal. As I dug down, my Sampson shovel immediately hit a 7” in diameter root.

I spent the next 10-minutes attempting to dig under the root, running into rocks and smaller roots as I worked. After 15-minutes, I took a break, had a swallow of water, and pulled out my pinpointer. A beep! I was close. Four minutes later, sweating and cursing, I had my prize in hand - A pulltab from “The Battle of White Plains, 2017.” :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was on the old fort site here in town, when I dug my first ever pewter U*S button. It was a steady 45-46 signal on my Ace, and only 3" deep. I was ecstatic, and pretty quickly got another almost identical signal. I dug a plug with my hori-hori knife that had to be 10" across and all 7" of the blade deep. I was NOT hitting this Button! After 20 minutes or so of surgically removing the soil in search of my second prize, I not only pull out a pop tab, but I pull out 3. My plug was that big! My hunting buddy was never "happier" for me!

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a hard one to top, Terry : )

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one wedge in between my coil cover and coil once. Took my about 5 minutes to figure what was wrong with my detector and too this day I still cannot figure out how it got there. :dontknow:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
oh come on Terry can there be such a thing as a best pull tab story ? i hate lawyers they are on top of my list then doctors. but then suddenly when i'm out detecting pull tabs automatically become top tenders. can anybody relate ? it does'nt shock me how you refer to sweating and swearing ! i actually found 2 pull tabs that i have never came across ever again. never seen any others like them ? i've had them laying around for years, who knows 5,6 maybe 7 years ? just sitting there waiting for somebody to remind me of posting a picture. see thats what antidepressants do ????? "head in the clouds" i'll post a picture later to see if any of our experts can i.d then K.......................p.s forgot to say how patriotic of you to post the pulltab in front of the american flag 1103170824-00.jpg

Attachments

• 1103170824-01.jpg
    1103170824-01.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
I had one wedge in between my coil cover and coil once. Took my about 5 minutes to figure what was wrong with my detector and too this day I still cannot figure out how it got there. :dontknow:

silly wabbit ? God put it there just to dwive you nuts ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was swinging and had a good reading and when I dug I found a pull tab. I almost just left it there instead of putting it in my trash pocket. I picked it up and it had a chain thru the hole and on close examination it was a 14 K pull tab piece of jewelry and chain (broken) necklace that was very nice. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/163001506941?chn=ps

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
I was swinging and had a good reading and when I dug I found a pull tab. I almost just left it there instead of putting it in my trash pocket. I picked it up and it had a chain thru the hole and on close examination it was a 14 K pull tab piece of jewelry and chain (broken) necklace that was very nice. like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/163001506941?chn=ps
obviously a metal detectorist would'nt want to be reminded of what a pulltab looks like let alone wear one ? and 200 bucks ? no,no,no

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day at the beach, I noticed a bunch of unfilled holes and junk laying next to them. Cursing under my breath while kicking sand back into the holes and picking up the trash, I noticed the offender down the beach a ways. I know the guy and have mentioned his inappropriate behavior to him before. Don't know anyone who likes him.......a total dirt bag. At one of his holes, I picked up a pull tab for the umteenth time and then swept over the hole. Hmm, another signal. I dig down and found a nice gold ring. I was tempted to go rub it in to him, but, then thought again that it would be better not to help him realize his mistakes. Maybe he'll give up and quit the hobby.....for the benefit of all of us.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep 'em coming! :hello2:

Attachments

• persistence.jpg
    persistence.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 94
  • necklace 005.jpg
    necklace 005.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 81

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was just the other day. I went back to the "detectorists amusement park", the 55 acre farm we were the first ones in. After a short hour hunt, I had a bunch of early relics and one pull tab. But it looked funny. It was a silver Indian trade piece that looks like a pull tab. Who would have thought?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This don't match the others but the 3rd day I had my E-800 I had a good signal and knew it was deep. Was hoping it was a ring. I dug a big 8" plug then kept digging and at 12" I found a gold tab. It was my 1st deep find with the E-800

cudamark jerks like that guy never learn.. I was told F-O by a guy using a Sampson shovel in a park then just kicking hole full and moving on. He didn't even dig plugs. I said you're going to get us banned from detecting these parks and he said so what when I leave I won't be back to this one. He said F-O dude and leave me alone. I said well I would be totally embarrassed to let anyone see that piece of junk detector you use.. I said I find everything you don't and you don't find much with that detector. I said I already pulled $4 following you and you're lucky to have $1.50. Of course I was lying. He looked over at me and left.. Never seen him again but that don't mean he quit detecting, most likely destroying parks in another city.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years I have pulled a ton of pull tabs from the ground metal detecting, this morning I took a trip to one of our local fishing docks to do bit of magnet fishing. You guessed it every throw yielded several rusty tabs. Evidently we have had a beer drinking fisherman who got very little fishing done and a whole lot of drinking done.:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty tabs? :icon_scratch: Never seen any steel ones. Maybe that's because I disc out iron targets. What do they come on?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty tabs? :icon_scratch: Never seen any steel ones. Maybe that's because I disc out iron targets. What do they come on?

I was also a bit confused when I seen the first ones but they definitely were sticking to the magnet. It may be that they were from mix oil cans for the two cycle boat engines.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I was 17, and dating a 34 year old woman, who was a part-time manager of a motel. { What a great situation } One cold Winter day she told me about a ring at the bottom of their pool. They had been trying to scoop it out, but didn't have any luck. I stood beside the pool & could see it in the deep end . I had " Gold Fever " to get it, & split sale of it with her. About mid-night, I stripped down to my tighty-whities" & dove in . I could tell what it was about the time I reached for it. The ring from a " Beaver-tail " pull-tab !!!!

imagearhead

Sep 15, 2012
Cincinnati OHIO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. 6.5x9 coil
Bounty Hunters Quick Silver2
Bose, over the ear noise reduction and volume control headphones wireless.
Garrett propointer.. I love the new one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting at a local Cincinnati park built in 1933. It is know for its mix of trash & treasures. I got a Gold/pulltab signal in the middle of soccer field. I dug it slowly. As I neared the target, a faint gleam of gold color appeared as the sun hit it. I jumped up in excitement, danced in a circle and then quickly stopped. I noticed a youth soccer game was starting and i was being stared at by passer-by's. I dropped back down to collect my due prize, only to find that the detecting gods have a sense of humor. It was a large, gold colored pull tab... I just had to laugh. I acted a fool over finding my arch enemy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, gold colored pull tabs should be illegal and a felony! :censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread