Anyone ever Lost a Piece of your Equipment while Detecting?

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had the misfortune of loosing any of their kit while out detecting?

Sad to say I managed to loose a brand new Garrett Pro Pointer AT this week that was not even a week out of the box...
I was sick to my stomach, because i apparently dropped it on the way back due to carrying my AT Max over my shoulder, and it most likely slipped out of the holster and fell behind me on my way home un noticed.
I was distracted by another find when I got home and put my detector away and never noticed it was not in its holster till 2 days later, by then it was long gone...

After exhaustive searching and realizing it was picked up by some luck passer by, i decided to bite the bullet and order another one from the place i bought it from the week before. When I went to the site, a chat box popped up with an attendant asking to help make a purchase, now i usually just ignore those altogether, but in my state of frustration, i explained what happened to the guy, and to my surprise he said, hold on, lemme find you a coupon code for a new one at my cost. That decent gesture not only saved me about 50 bucks off retail of a new one, it also renewed my faith in people, and the brotherhood of camaraderie that fellow detectorists share...

Not only will I be even more anal retentive with my equipment now, but im gonna put my name on everything as well, after a hard lesson learned.
So with all that being said, Thanks to the efforts of a great online vendor, ill be back in the dirt early next week, and hopefully a lot more lucky in the future.

Upvote 0

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My Wilcox digger. A friend and I go several times a year to a local ranch where we divide our time between detecting and artifact hunting. Weeks after the last trip, the ranch manager, a good guy and good friend, noticed it lying somewhere in all those acres. I had not yet even noticed it missing. It would have been a needle-in-a-haystack.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a weeks time I managed to lose a Raptor C-31 digger, left in a park ($65) a Smith and Wesson knife ($25), lost in a field and a pair of sunglasses. Up until that time I had never lost an item in over 25 years of hunting.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost my Black Pro Pointer in a woods and had no idea where to look because I had been in the woods for over 3 hours and had been successful. I decided to take a shortcut back to my truck when I noticed the pointer was gone. I knew it had to be close to where I quit. I tried to go back to the place I had quit and didn't know where it was after about 20 minutes or so and headed back to my truck pizzed. I stopped next a tree to take a pee and looked down and I was peeing on the pointer. Was happy and mad at the same time but at least I found it.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost my Black Pro Pointer in a woods and had no idea where to look because I had been in the woods for over 3 hours and had been successful. I decided to take a shortcut back to my truck when I noticed the pointer was gone. I knew it had to be close to where I quit. I tried to go back to the place I had quit and didn't know where it was after about 20 minutes or so and headed back to my truck pizzed. I stopped next a tree to take a pee and looked down and I was peeing on the pointer. Was happy and mad at the same time but at least I found it.

Thats pretty Funny... lol Glad you found it..

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't - But the two biggest things I have seen people lose:

CTX: Guy left it at the park. Came back and it was gone. It was brand new too.
Etrac: Multiple broke due to a fall on the wetsand right into the water.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What about this simple device attached to the tools?
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1 Pack less than $15 at amazon.
153C4D3F-98C0-4484-BEEA-C467C59555AE.jpeg

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a weeks time I managed to lose a Raptor C-31 digger, left in a park ($65) a Smith and Wesson knife ($25), lost in a field and a pair of sunglasses. Up until that time I had never lost an item in over 25 years of hunting.
I'm gonna start following Dan around. 😁

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna start following Dan around. ��

Lol.... I replaced all my expensive gear with cheap Chinese shite just in case I have another week like that :-)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The most ambitious/ distance days seem too generate losses.
Left a lake shore. Climbed serious long hill grade , ( same hill climb that saw headphone wires chewed up in wheelchair spokes) crossed sportsfield detected earlier over to b. ball court. Got a good signal ,reached for Leche.........

Returned to top of hill across field and could see the tiny looking digger far below. About the third time it has been recovered ,so far.

Backtracked all over a park looking for my cheaters/ glasses. How could I not find them?
Days later they turned up between the truck seat and console? What the heck. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lost my sunglasses on a hunt one time. Found em about 6 months later...RIGHT where i left em! 😁

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost a Garrett Carrot in a creek in 2015. Soon afterwards, I bought a $1.00 lanyard from a hardware store near me. Hundreds of hunts in creeks and fields later... I'm still using the same lanyard. Best buck I ever spent !
IMG_20180118_205129.jpg
IMG_20180112_094940.jpg

bobolender

Jun 23, 2013
If you purchased it with a credit card you might be able to recover the cost of your purchase. I had the same misfortune as you, but was reimbursed by my credit card company. Good lock.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it would be against the rules to mention the vendor's business name that helped you out. As far as losing/finding things... I tried a lanyard and it did not work for me. I bought my machine because it has no wires to snag and the lanyard was snagging. I guess if I lose it I'll have to replace it and consider it simply as the cost of doing business (errrr.. or pleasure). I've been metal detecting for 3 years and haven't lost anything while hunting; had a few close calls. However.. I have misplaced a carrot somewhere in my house,car,garage, trailer and cannot find it.

As far as finding things.. I'm a bricklayer and two years ago I was in the middle of some woods and found a bricklayers trowel buried about a foot deep. Guess he got sick of it and didn't want anyone else stuck with it either.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curse this thread. I think it jinxed me as I lost my Lesche this Sunday at a school. I think maybe on the last plug I put it down by my feet and left in a hurry as a T-storm was rolling in.

I went back last night but it was long gone :(

+$2 in clad and -$40 for a shovel.. not my worst day but close.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how we always find the things we lost in the last place we look.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curse this thread. I think it jinxed me as I lost my Lesche this Sunday at a school. I think maybe on the last plug I put it down by my feet and left in a hurry as a T-storm was rolling in.

I went back last night but it was long gone :(

+$2 in clad and -$40 for a shovel.. not my worst day but close.

Man that Sux... Sorry man..

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked away from a brand new Garrett Pro pointer at an 1800's horse racing track. Must have been the last hole of the day as I didn't realize it until I got home to check all my gear. Went back the next day and never found it. Now I'm using a Garrett "Carrot" pin pointer.........and it has a lanyard on it. Lifes lessons can be expensive.....

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks! I can live with my spade but a pin pointer would be rough..

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it would be against the rules to mention the vendor's business name that helped you out. As far as losing/finding things... I tried a lanyard and it did not work for me. I bought my machine because it has no wires to snag and the lanyard was snagging. I guess if I lose it I'll have to replace it and consider it simply as the cost of doing business (errrr.. or pleasure). I've been metal detecting for 3 years and haven't lost anything while hunting; had a few close calls. However.. I have misplaced a carrot somewhere in my house,car,garage, trailer and cannot find it.

As far as finding things.. I'm a bricklayer and two years ago I was in the middle of some woods and found a bricklayers trowel buried about a foot deep. Guess he got sick of it and didn't want anyone else stuck with it either.

Was wondering.. do bricklayers still place a coin in the foundation of the chimneys they build, of the year it was built? or was that something that they used to do and dont really do anymore? was curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread