Anyone ever Lost a Piece of your Equipment while Detecting?

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had the misfortune of loosing any of their kit while out detecting?

Sad to say I managed to loose a brand new Garrett Pro Pointer AT this week that was not even a week out of the box...
I was sick to my stomach, because i apparently dropped it on the way back due to carrying my AT Max over my shoulder, and it most likely slipped out of the holster and fell behind me on my way home un noticed.
I was distracted by another find when I got home and put my detector away and never noticed it was not in its holster till 2 days later, by then it was long gone...

After exhaustive searching and realizing it was picked up by some luck passer by, i decided to bite the bullet and order another one from the place i bought it from the week before. When I went to the site, a chat box popped up with an attendant asking to help make a purchase, now i usually just ignore those altogether, but in my state of frustration, i explained what happened to the guy, and to my surprise he said, hold on, lemme find you a coupon code for a new one at my cost. That decent gesture not only saved me about 50 bucks off retail of a new one, it also renewed my faith in people, and the brotherhood of camaraderie that fellow detectorists share...

Not only will I be even more anal retentive with my equipment now, but im gonna put my name on everything as well, after a hard lesson learned.
So with all that being said, Thanks to the efforts of a great online vendor, ill be back in the dirt early next week, and hopefully a lot more lucky in the future.

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 pinpointers one recovery. The one I found felt like I hit a silver dollar it was in the woods so wasn’t sure exactly where I was. Felt great. Congrats on saving that nifty fifty.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i lost my pinpointer at a old mill in the deep creek steep banks on both sides i watched it sink down below

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess thats why they put Lanyard Attach Points on em then huh? Guess I might wanna try that see how it works out too. I honestly never even gave any thought to loosing a bright orange Garrett Carrot.. still smarts a good bit...

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Suggestion, thanks for the link.. gonna give it a look see for sure..

I know they are a little more expensive than some other options, but they are durable.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Janitors keyring reel. Works amazing and nothing to get hung up on

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just attach a shoelace and caribiner to mine. Back in the day, I did lose a few screwdrivers used as probes. Rarely use one these days with pin pointers and Lesches.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took off my glasses one time while hunting in a very leafy, tree field. At least two inches of leaves on the ground. I was inspecting a find, and then moved on to a couple more locations before realizing I was missing my glasses. Aghhh! Started searching, trying to remember where I had dug all the plugs. 40 minutes of swinging my Equinox 600 and BINGO...there were my glasses completely invisible under a bunch of leaves. Damn near stepped on them!
Lucky! ($450 glasses!)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 1st lost item was an original black Garret Pro-Pointer at dusk in the woods. It took me 45 minutes of back tracking to locate it. The very next day I bought a hot pink roll of duct tape and keep a nice wrap on it so it is easier to find.

My 2nd almost lost was my F75LTD that was just returned from the DST upgrade back in 2015. I took a Friday afternoon off from work and hit a few sites in early spring. The last site was at the local football field. When I pulled in the parking lot I noticed about 20 other cars and figured some local high school athletes were doing weight training. I also saw a half full Gatorade bottle in the parking lot near where I parked. I hunted for about 45 minutes and noticed it was almost dinner time. I leaned my detector up on the passenger side of the vehicle (the same side where that Gatorade bottle was). I took off all my gear, shut the back of the van, walked to the drivers door and got in. I started the van and backed out but heard a sound of me running something over. I figured it was that Gatorade bottle. I drove 2 miles home and ate dinner. After dinner I wanted to clean my detecting gear. I opened the back of the van and noticed my F75LTD was not in the van. I had a panic attack since that was $1000 machine back then. I hauled @ss back to the football field. All 20 cars were gone, but my detector was still laying in the parking lot. I inspected it and noticed the only damage was to the battery compartment. I count my blessings I live in a small town full of honest people.

My 1st time hunting in NY with the "B@astards of the Bramble" my $8 lowes shovel fell off my hook while I was roaming through the woods detecting. Not an issue, I had a spare in the van. I never did find that shovel.

Last summer I was hunting in Norwalk Ohio, and really intended on detecting at the a park down town and then the fair grounds. After hunting the park I drove to the fair grounds and noticed they had an event going on so I headed back into town to a small park I passed. This is the only park where I did not get a single signal, not even in the tot lot. Must be a local guy who keeps this park cleaned out of targets. I started with the tot lot and knew I did not need my Lesche shovel so I stuck it in the ground. After not getting one hit in the wood chips I did some test grids in the rest of the park. Not getting any signal was odd. I walked back to the van, put all my gear in the back and headed to a drive through carry out for a cold drink and a snack. The drive-thru is close to the old football field so I headed there. When I was getting geared up I noticed my Lesche shovel missing. I jumped in the van and sped back to the park, and had only been gone for 15 minutes. My shovel was missing. I drove the neighborhood hoping to see some kit riding a bike or walking with my shovel. I can only figure that the local MDer must live in one of the houses that are next to the park and he/she was probably watching me hunt. As soon as I left they probably came out and grabbed my shovel. I love the Lesche shovel and ordered a replacement as soon as I got home that day.

Lessons learned:

1. If your going to lean your detector up against your vehicle, make sure it's on the driver's side.

2. Never take a black pin pointer into the woods without a strip of highly visible colored duct tape.

3. Inventory your gear before you leave a site.

4. Always take time to check the tightness of your coil hardware before you ground grab.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... my pinpointer... TP Vibra Probe 580.

Went to grab it... and it was gone... and I had a lanyard.

I scoured and scoured... never to be found again.

Bothers me still...

I LOVE finding things.

And HATE losing them.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your next thread should be "Who has found metal detectorist things".

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... my pinpointer... TP Vibra Probe 580.

Went to grab it... and it was gone... and I had a lanyard.

I scoured and scoured... never to be found again.

Bothers me still...

I LOVE finding things.

And HATE losing them.

Yup.. I know that feeling for dang sure..

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took off my glasses one time while hunting in a very leafy, tree field. At least two inches of leaves on the ground. I was inspecting a find, and then moved on to a couple more locations before realizing I was missing my glasses. Aghhh! Started searching, trying to remember where I had dug all the plugs. 40 minutes of swinging my Equinox 600 and BINGO...there were my glasses completely invisible under a bunch of leaves. Damn near stepped on them!
Lucky! ($450 glasses!)

When i cant find my cheaters/sunglasses, they are usually on top my head or hat and i realize after a massive fruitless search of the area... lol

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1st lost item was an original black Garret Pro-Pointer at dusk in the woods. It took me 45 minutes of back tracking to locate it. The very next day I bought a hot pink roll of duct tape and keep a nice wrap on it so it is easier to find.

My 2nd almost lost was my F75LTD that was just returned from the DST upgrade back in 2015. I took a Friday afternoon off from work and hit a few sites in early spring. The last site was at the local football field. When I pulled in the parking lot I noticed about 20 other cars and figured some local high school athletes were doing weight training. I also saw a half full Gatorade bottle in the parking lot near where I parked. I hunted for about 45 minutes and noticed it was almost dinner time. I leaned my detector up on the passenger side of the vehicle (the same side where that Gatorade bottle was). I took off all my gear, shut the back of the van, walked to the drivers door and got in. I started the van and backed out but heard a sound of me running something over. I figured it was that Gatorade bottle. I drove 2 miles home and ate dinner. After dinner I wanted to clean my detecting gear. I opened the back of the van and noticed my F75LTD was not in the van. I had a panic attack since that was $1000 machine back then. I hauled @ss back to the football field. All 20 cars were gone, but my detector was still laying in the parking lot. I inspected it and noticed the only damage was to the battery compartment. I count my blessings I live in a small town full of honest people.

My 1st time hunting in NY with the "B@astards of the Bramble" my $8 lowes shovel fell off my hook while I was roaming through the woods detecting. Not an issue, I had a spare in the van. I never did find that shovel.

Last summer I was hunting in Norwalk Ohio, and really intended on detecting at the a park down town and then the fair grounds. After hunting the park I drove to the fair grounds and noticed they had an event going on so I headed back into town to a small park I passed. This is the only park where I did not get a single signal, not even in the tot lot. Must be a local guy who keeps this park cleaned out of targets. I started with the tot lot and knew I did not need my Lesche shovel so I stuck it in the ground. After not getting one hit in the wood chips I did some test grids in the rest of the park. Not getting any signal was odd. I walked back to the van, put all my gear in the back and headed to a drive through carry out for a cold drink and a snack. The drive-thru is close to the old football field so I headed there. When I was getting geared up I noticed my Lesche shovel missing. I jumped in the van and sped back to the park, and had only been gone for 15 minutes. My shovel was missing. I drove the neighborhood hoping to see some kit riding a bike or walking with my shovel. I can only figure that the local MDer must live in one of the houses that are next to the park and he/she was probably watching me hunt. As soon as I left they probably came out and grabbed my shovel. I love the Lesche shovel and ordered a replacement as soon as I got home that day.

Lessons learned:

1. If your going to lean your detector up against your vehicle, make sure it's on the driver's side.

2. Never take a black pin pointer into the woods without a strip of highly visible colored duct tape.

3. Inventory your gear before you leave a site.

4. Always take time to check the tightness of your coil hardware before you ground grab.

Hard Lessons well learned....
The Pucker Factor must have been HIGH, when you realized what the Crunch Sound must have actually been...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold boy go back and Magnet fish it out. It will attract to the battery !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread