PLEASE READ AND BE TRUTHFUL.........

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently found a 14K gold girls high school ring chest deep in water, 5 inches down in the sand, south Miami beach. I mean, this puppy was lost forever.......................

Be truthful, no fakes, don't try to impress the ones that read the post, would you go to the high school web page, contact the school, and attempt to find the one who it belongs to?

Now, I'm sure the ones that try to find the owner would post the results on "Honorable Mention" - Where good deeds get noticed!

Attachments

• 14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 906
  • 14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    14K South Miami Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there returning lost items is better than finding them ;) AA

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
In a heartbeat I would return it.
It is a special ring for someone.

No I probably wouldn't post returning it.
To each his own.
George

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a 2005 Ring ?

Call the School give them the Initials
And ask IF they could tell you who it Belonged to.

These days of 911 Paranoia it's a 50/50 chance they will tell you.
But they would Probably Contact them with your Info.

Of course IF you would rather Keep it, That's
your prerogative. But Believe me the Rush of
the Return is Bigger then the Rush of Finding.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Being that the ring is so new "2005" I would probably try to find the owner. If the ring were "older" I would probably keep it.

VPR

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Another thought....... 2005 graduate puts the girl 20 years old or so.....
Probably cute.......
Return it and you just may get a little kiss on the cheek.....

VPR

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I would return it without thinking twice about it. Trust me it feels good to return something to someone who lost it. :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAVY JONES said:
Now, I'm sure the ones that try to find the owner would post the results on "Honorable Mention" - Where good deeds get noticed!

Forgot to Mention.

Members do not Post their story in Honerable Mention.

We move them in when We Wish to Honor a Members good Deed.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would try to return it but if you dont want to i wouldnt think bad about you. its your find so its your call.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I would keep it 10 or 15 years, then return it and tell the person I would of returned it sooner but I wasn't sure they would be responible enough to hang on to it.
NOW DO NOT LOSE IT AGAIN!!!

Just kidding, I would return it!

I lost mine along time ago and would love to have it back.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I couldn't stand knowing that I kept something for myself that would make a young girl very happy.Think how bad she must have felt.But that's me,you have your own conscience.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Returning lost rings are one of my most satifying and memorable metal detecting memories. The happiness you provide to the person and the happiness you feel is worth more then any money you could get pawning it.

I have found for or returned 5 rings in my MDing career and do not have any regrets about it.

Last year I found a 20 year old girls wallet in the road with $130 in it. I called her, went through a ton of hassle getting it back to her, no reward from her, just thanks (it was all the money she had and was her rent money). Do I regret that? NO. It was the right thing to doo and I figure somehow, I will be rewarded, maybe by the MDing gods.

Good luck to you DJ!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep I would return it and have gone to great lengths to find an owner including paying for memberships on these H.S. reunion websites to be able to e-mail other classmates from same year - in order to track down the owner.

Have a ring right now that I'm trying to find owner and none of the traditional outlets have turned up anything. But i haven't given up and will return ring as soon as I connect with rightful owner.

But that's a decision each has to make themselves. To see that look of disbelief on somebody's face is worth it to me. :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have never found a class ring, but when I do, I will return it. They cost a lot of money and for a high school student, it was probably most of the summer job money. As far as I see it, this one should be easy. You have the year (2005), you have the school name, and her name (Bianca). This return should be very easy. I would return it no matter how long it took to find the owner. It is the decent thing to do. Just my opinion but then again, it is your find and your decision.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I retured 1 last year an now have a nice letter to show for it. I need to get the pic of the ring printed an put it in a frame with the letter. I have a sec. class ring but the school is no help at all. They want tell me anything or pass the info on

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 772
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 783

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There was a fellow in our club who found 1 yr. old class ring, near his home, that was from the same high school that his daughter was attending. He took it home and showed his family. The daughter looked up the initials in her yearbook, and says "oh, I know that girl, she lives just down the street!". So my friend calls their phone #, but only gets a voicemail. He leaves a message to the effect: "I've found your class ring. If you want it back, call me at this number and we'll discuss it".

He thought nothing more of the matter. Later that night, they sat down to dinner. There was a knock at the door. Guess who it was?? the POLICE! Turns out the ring had been one of many items stolen during a home burglary a few weeks earlier. The people who had received the phone message on their machine took it as some sort of extortion suggestion :( I guess the thief, when he had been leaving the residence, must've lost it when crossing the school yard, for my friend to find a few weeks later. How was my friend to know? He figured it was a fumble-fingers loss.

Anyhow, there was a long song and dance discussion with the police. My friend tried to explain that he'd found it with a metal detector (of course, he was getting the "oh SHHUUURRE" stares by the cops). In the end, the ring was given to the cops, who presumably returned it to the girl. My friend never got so much as a thank you, no-thank-you, or kiss my *ss from the family. He vowed never again to attempt to return a class ring again (this was back in the early '80s, when a gold class ring was worth over $100 in scrap gold. Not a pittance in early '80s dollar buying value)

I have another friend who has found over 100 class rings on the beaches of So. California. I asked him once "do you ever try to return the rings?" He quickly chimed "no". His reasoning was the same. He's met with people who hang up, because they think it's a prank. Or one guy who shows up at his house, grabs the ring with a scowl, and tromps off with not a word, etc.....

Think of it: Most of the time, when someone looses their class ring, they don't think "It must've slipped off my finger", but instead think "where did I leave it?" This is especially true of women who notoriously leave their rings by the sink when they wash their hands. Then later, when it turns up missing, they think "I must've left it in the bathroom when I washed my hands last", when in fact, it flew off their fingers when they were playing frisbee (or whatever). So if they file a police report, do you think they say "lost because I was a dummy" or "possibly stolen"? Of course they think it was stolen. Heck, even if they KNOW they lost it, they assume whoever finds it, must, because it is sitting there, turn it in to lost and found, lest it NOW be "stolen". So you come along and find it, and think you're a "hero"?

You see the psychology at work here? This has caused many folks to not even look at the initials inside class rings :P

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
You would be surprized how many people won't come to get them. Most people will want them back for sure. When I was telling the story of how the owner who I had talked to on the phone never came for the ring, two other guys chimed in with similar stories. One guy was talking to the father on the phone, The father said," hey some guy found your class ring". The kid said, " tell him to keep it". Hey if it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have believed it. Rob

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
I'd try to return it.

A few years back, we found a roll of cash in the parking lot at Dollywood. We took the cash to lost and found, left our name, address and other contact info. Were informed if no one claimed the cash, it would be turned over to us. A couple of weeks later, we got an nice card and some money. Turns out that the family that lost it decided to check the lost and found, they identified the area they had parked in and that was where we found the money. That cash was their "going home money", the money for gas, food and lodging on their way home. Gave us a warm feeling to get that card and helped teach the kids a good lesson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread