Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been a pretty dedicated coin hunter for a good 7+ years now. I have a very good collection of about 45 silver coins, 3 gold rings, a handful of silver rings, 180+ Wheats, a handful of 1700-1800 coppers, a few V nickels, a King George, the list goes on. The one thing I do lack is machine knowledge. I started out with a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger, understandably a very basic machine. After awhile I upgraded to a Bounty Hunter Gold. I payed about $275 new at the time. I've mastered the machine and found everything mentioned above with it. The other day I had a chance to use a Garrett Ace 250 for a few hours and loved it. Now, I want to upgrade to something new. Not necessarily the Garrett Ace 250 but something. The question being, what do get in a machine in the range of $200-$600-$1000? I've broken it down to these 3 price categories to understand more. I do understand that there are things to consider like water proof coils, ground balancing, weight, what type of hunter you are, etc. Beyond that, I'm trying to learn. I'm assuming good discrimination is a factor to consider. That is exactly what I found better about the Garrett. Where my machine would go crazy on the same discrimination settings, the Garrett was nice and smooth. That was the turning point for me. I've noticed Garrett offers the 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc... That's a lot to understand. Hoping to get some useful info on how much I would like to spend and possibly what brand I would like to go with. And I'm also going out on a limb here, but I would think there are machines that are similar in performance but different in brand name. I hate asking a question that's been asked 1000 times already I'm sure. Thanks everyone. And if my questions aren't that easy to just answer, let me know. Any questions for me would be great too.

Upvote 0

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am probably biased but I have a Technetics T2+ and love it. It's amazing what it can do for the price. It has several discrimination settings including a boost program. I paid $546 for it and it came with a pinpointer, headphones, digging tool with carrying pouch and a MD bag. Great deal! I have been hunting with a friend who use a Whites MXT which runs around $900 and i usually find as much if not more most times. I would definitively recommend the T2+ as a good all around machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use and like my Tesoro Cibola. I think they're $369 new but you can find used ones. For horrid ground and lots of iron I like my XP Deus, used maybe $1k. I have named the Deus "Killer" as it kills it in the field. There are a lot of choices out there. I have tried most of the brands made. If I were you I'd try to find a dealer and take a look in person. You're talking about dozens of choices.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of tones do you like to hear? Do you plan on hunting in streams and need it to be waterproof? I have bought most of my detectors used and never had an issue. As for the Garrett series, the newer 200, 300, & 400 series gives you target ID numbers. The 150, 250, $ 350 series only give a target range. I know your current machine has found some amazing finds, I must admit I started with something similar and now swing the F75LTD. You are wanting to upgrade at a good time since you can get used machines $200 or more under retail. I moved from my simple machine to a lower mid level machine before I took the leap to the flagship model. I've been swinging it for 4 years. All 3 of my machines used similar tones so it was an easy progression. I for one favor DD coils over concentric coils. The Garrets use a bell tone (not my cup of tea). Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, and Fisher all use similar tones and are under the First Texas umbrella. I recommend you look into one of those.

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of tones do you like to hear? Do you plan on hunting in streams and need it to be waterproof? I have bought most of my detectors used and never had an issue. As for the Garrett series, the newer 200, 300, & 400 series gives you target ID numbers. The 150, 250, $ 350 series only give a target range. I know your current machine has found some amazing finds, I must admit I started with something similar and now swing the F75LTD. You are wanting to upgrade at a good time since you can get used machines $200 or more under retail. I moved from my simple machine to a lower mid level machine before I took the leap to the flagship model. I've been swinging it for 4 years. All 3 of my machines used similar tones so it was an easy progression. I for one favor DD coils over concentric coils. The Garrets use a bell tone (not my cup of tea). Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, and Fisher all use similar tones and are under the First Texas umbrella. I recommend you look into one of those.
I don't particularly care for the bell tone either. I would like a machine with target ID numbers. Waterproof... probably, just to cover the issue even though I'm not much of a stream hunter. I've been reading and looking over the Garrett 300 and 400 models on a comparison chart to understand a little more.

10KHz - 8KHz
8.5x11 DD - 7x10 concentric
2.9lbs - 2.8lbs

I'm not sure if these are big differences, but as you mentioned about favoring the DD coil, I have nothing to compare to, being that the Bounty Hunter and Garrett that I used are both concentric.

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any opinions on the Garrett AT Pro? I've heard mixed opinions that it's a ***** to swing and imbalanced.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is the best bang for the buck. Waterproof too, and will handle salt water beaches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As coda said I would look into an Equinox 600 or 800.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab safari or the new equinox 800. Never used the 800, but sounds like you’d love it. Used the safari for years now and I can’t say enough good things about this solid machine. Used: $450-$600, new $1,000.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I like the Fisher F44, the Kruzer Multi and the Nox.
All have weatherproofing, and are quality detectors. The Nox and Kruzer have multiple frequencies.
The Nox has salt water and prospecting capabilities, but is also the most expensive, and hard to get right now.
Saw a Fisher F75 on EBay, used, a couple hours ago. Buy it now $350

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone I know has an F75 and absolutely loves it. Lots of choices.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you military or ex military? I know I have a unique situation compared to some, but I just picked up a an EQ600 from ft Bedford, for $551.00 with my veterans 15% discount and their free shipping. If you are a vet, this price is unprecedented. I sold my AT Pro last fall in anticipation of getting an Equinox this spring. While the ATPro was not a bad detector, in my soil here in Minnesota, realistic depth was 6-7", it just would simply not pick up anything coin size deeper then that. My Fisher CZ picks up a quarter (barely) at a buried, measured depth of 9" in my soil, 2-3" deeper then my AT Pro did! (33% deeper). Now, i'll hold my breath until I get it on Thursday, but I trust in the numerous credible reports rolling in of its (the Equinox's) performance in the field by members of Tnet here and I fully expect it to meet or exceed both of my other detectors.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to spend another $100+ for the 5x8 coil or you won't like it.. Should have went with the Equinox 600. $649 and an awesome detector plus it's easy to use and you can use it in water. Not that the AT Pro is a bad detector the Equinox is just that much better and a deep machine..

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to spend another $100+ for the 5x8 coil or you won't like it.. Should have went with the Equinox 600. $649 and an awesome detector plus it's easy to use and you can use it in water. Not that the AT Pro is a bad detector the Equinox is just that much better and a deep machine..
I looked up the Equinox. It looks like a great machine. Nonetheless I received my ATP last week and ordered my 5x8 today. So far I like the ATP. In just a few days I've found a silver Rosie, silver Merc, a silver ring, an Indian, and a handful of Wheaties. Not too bad. Hopefully the 5x8 will help me snipe just a little better.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're doing good with it. It is a well proven machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread