Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How deep is your silver?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by digger460 View Post

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mp sgt maj.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	1587642
    Right then! Off you go! Anyone else rather be doing something beside marching up and down the square?!

  2. #32
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    If you can show me a video of someone stepping in mud and their foot not sinking in, i'll buy anything you are selling me. Jesus may have walked on water, but man does not walk on mud....
    so you are contending that every time it rains, the entirety of the rained upon soils becomes this purely liquid mud?! Amazing! I must live in the strangest place on earth, because no matter how it has ever rained here, those "mud spot" are nothing more than tiny spots. So I take it where you live that the entirety of ground becomes liquid and everything sinks every time it rains. Must be the worst place on earth!

    AS a matter of fact, I have seen rivers and creeks flood their banks on many occasions, and every time the water recedes, the bank are exactly as they were before. Aside from scouring and undercutting of banks, I've seen no damage or change from these occasional floodings. How is that possible in your world where a simple rain turns the ground to a pure liquid through which EVERYTHING more dense than liquid sinks to bedrock?
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; May 07, 2018 at 06:09 PM.
    G.A.P.metal likes this.

  3. #33
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    Minelab E-Trac
    3,509
    1264 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    There is no real answer to your question. First, if someones detector can only see a coin 4 inches deep in their soil, thats the deepest you are going to get as an answer. Next, a different detector may be capable of 12 inches in that same part of the country.

    Now, to make it even more confusing, the "depth of silver" changes dramatically over very short distances. I have a site where silver and other coins lost as far back the founding of my town in 1893 have been 18" deep and there there could be more deeper still. Yet a few blocks away I recover silver and similar dates coins at all depths including sitting on the surface.

    Plant growth, irrigation, fertilization, mowing practices, shade trees, freeze and thaw cycles and other factors all play a role in how deep targets get before we dig them.
    May i ask what detector you were using to get coins at 18 inches and what coin was it?

  4. #34
    us
    Apr 2018
    Plymouth, WI
    Etrac, F2, F44
    30
    50 times
    Metal Detecting
    LOL, well said. I donít care where you dig a zinc....they all look like....
    buck8point likes this.

  5. #35
    us
    Apr 2018
    Plymouth, WI
    Etrac, F2, F44
    30
    50 times
    Metal Detecting
    Silver nuggets...nice! I was hunting a local ski hill and just about blew an ear drum with a big hit....I dug...several large chunks of copper ore. Not silver but it is now a business card holder on my desk.

  6. #36
    us
    Apr 2018
    Plymouth, WI
    Etrac, F2, F44
    30
    50 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow guys, great stuff. I can’t help but wonder how many silvers have been virtually lost forever by construction and destruction. I was driving past a local park the other day and saw that they were filling in about 5 acres of park at about 3ft deep. I will be hunting that area as soon as they are done because the fill came from old base from city streets that were recently dug up and reconstructed.

  7. #37
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
    May i ask what detector you were using to get coins at 18 inches and what coin was it?
    LOL, I knew that would come up! I wish I could detect coins that deep!

    Our town square behind the courthouse has been roughly the same since the founding in 1893. Several years ago, homeland security said "your parking next to the building is too close" so they tore out all that original cement, and then they scraped out part of the park sod for the new parking. They cut it down roughly 12". When I jumped in and started detecting, I was getting coins from surface down to 6 inches which means they were at least 18" from the original sod height.

    BTW- That construction project was the best hunting spot I've ever had. I was there every day for the entire duration.... groundbreaking until rebar was laid. Barber dimes, quarters, halves, walkers, buffies, v-nicks, indians and wheats by the dozen. The only 2 types not found by anybody during it all were silver dollars and gold coins, although I'm really shocked no gold came out. I and others dug everything that wasn't iron. If gold was there, it should have been found.
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; May 07, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
    rodgerdodger likes this.

  8. #38
    us
    Detectorist

    Apr 2018
    Iberville Parish, Louisiana
    Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max / Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
    218
    237 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Thats not the soil, its just the nature of the shitty one cent coins produced at the mint.
    Yea I realize the Copper coated Zinc Pennies are probably the shittiest coin produced, but youd think we could do better than that.

  9. #39
    us
    TunaTonker

    Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    182
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    so you are contending that every time it rains, the entirety of the rained upon soils becomes this purely liquid mud?! Amazing!
    No, I never made this claim. I never claimed "every time it rains" nor "the entirety becomes purely liquid mud" I claimed that in adding enough water, a soil may become saturated to the point of being, in effect, a liquid state. Mud was an example used to illustrate over saturation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    So I take it where you live that the entirety of ground becomes liquid and everything sinks every time it rains. Must be the worst place on earth!
    No, I never made this claim either. I never claimed the "Entirety of the ground becomes liquid" nor "everything sinks everytime it rains" Again, see my previous posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    How is that possible in your world where a simple rain turns the ground to a pure liquid through which EVERYTHING more dense than liquid sinks to bedrock?
    And again, I NEVER made the claim that a "simple rain" turns the ground to "pure liquid" through which "Everything more dense sinks to bedrock".

    To bolster your argument, you literally made up and attributed to me several sweeping statements and words and incorrectly paraphrased ALL of my arguments.

    My arguments were clear, used real world examples and even provided links and quotes.

    If you want to bolster your argument, provide the science(quotes, links, geology) behind why a coin will not sink in soil. Provide evidence that refutes my claim that heavily saturated soil can't turn to mud. Provide evidence to your claim as to why coins only get deeper due to deposits on top of them, rather then any sinking of the coin.

    This will give you a strong argument, but misstating what others have said or claimed, only makes your argument look weaker.

  10. #40
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by buck8point View Post
    Yea I realize the Copper coated Zinc Pennies are probably the shittiest coin produced, but youd think we could do better than that.
    Its all about cost. Zinc is the cheapest metal they can use. They have looked at going to a plated iron, but the dies wear out much faster and off-setting any savings. The only way to produce a cheaper penny is to make it out of plastic. They should stop making them all together!
    xr7ator likes this.

  11. #41
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    2,309
    3143 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    No, they don't. Footings are deep enough to not suffer from frost heave. Again, the vast majority of all buildings are built on pure soil, no bedrock, yet these building haven't sunk in hundreds of years. Strange.... its as if the soil is actually compact enough to support the load, and NOT becoming liquid every time it rains.

    What good would gravel do? It's denser than the soil, so it would sink, just like the building on top of it.... except none of it is really sinking
    Funny how they had to come up with a complex system of drainage to prevent houses from sinking and sliding, isn't it? houses don't sink because they plan for it. and the ones which are poorly drained DO sink.
    GoDeep likes this.

  12. #42
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    No, I never made this claim. I never claimed "every time it rains" nor "the entirety becomes purely liquid mud" I claimed that in adding enough water, a soil may become saturated to the point of being, in effect, a liquid state. Mud was an example used to illustrate over saturation.



    No, I never made this claim either. I never claimed the "Entirety of the ground becomes liquid" nor "everything sinks everytime it rains" Again, see my previous posts.



    And again, I NEVER made the claim that a "simple rain" turns the ground to "pure liquid" through which "Everything more dense sinks to bedrock".

    To bolster your argument, you literally made up and attributed to me several sweeping statements and words and incorrectly paraphrased ALL of my arguments.

    My arguments were clear, used real world examples and even provided links and quotes.

    If you want to bolster your argument, provide the science(quotes, links, geology) behind why a coin will not sink in soil. Provide evidence that refutes my claim that heavily saturated soil can't turn to mud. Provide evidence to your claim as to why coins only get deeper due to deposits on top of them, rather then any sinking of the coin.

    This will give you a strong argument, but misstating what others have said or claimed, only makes your argument look weaker.

    Hahaha! You're still at this?! Geeze, go back and read your own posts. You claimed coins sink because soil is a liquid because of rain. Your words. Too bad you can't defend your original statements. You are also the one who tried to push the argument off on the tangent of slurry tests and bedrock gravel and then got indignant when I showed that those have nothing to do with the argument at hand vis-a-vis COINS DONT SINK.

  13. #43
    us
    TunaTonker

    Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    182
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    You claimed coins sink because soil is a liquid because of rain.
    Again, mis-representing what I said. That was one of many reasons I used, I also spoke about freezing, thawing, soil density, heat, cold, frost, insects, vegetation, wind, density of the object etc.

    Now come at me with science behind why a coin will not sink in soil when exposed to heat, rain, freeze/thaw cycles, insects, decomposing roots etc...then you will have my ear.
    Tpmetal likes this.

  14. #44
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,434
    7140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep View Post
    Again, mis-representing what I said. That was one of many reasons I used, I also spoke about freezing, thawing, soil density, heat, cold, frost, insects, vegetation, wind, density of the object etc.

    Now come at me with science behind why a coin will not sink in soil when exposed to heat, rain, freeze/thaw cycles, insects, decomposing roots etc...then you will have my ear.
    Already talked about those.... but FYI, none of those make a coin SINK. Dont believe me, test it yourself. Go dig a nice chunk of ground from your yard and put it in a jar. Heck do that and fill many jars. Drop a coin on top of each jar of dirt. Put a jar in your closet, put one in the garden, put them everywhere for all kinds of conditions. Just don't touch them. Now go back and look at them year, after year, after year.... those coins will ALWAYS be on top unless there is grass growing in it, in which the grass will bury it.... just like I said originally.

    Funny man, asking for "science" when you can't comprehend the science thats in front of you.

  15. #45
    us
    TunaTonker

    Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    182
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Already talked about those.... but FYI, none of those make a coin SINK. Dont believe me, test it yourself. Go dig a nice chunk of ground from your yard and put it in a jar. Heck do that and fill many jars. Drop a coin on top of each jar of dirt. Put a jar in your closet, put one in the garden, put them everywhere for all kinds of conditions. Just don't touch them. Now go back and look at them year, after year, after year.... those coins will ALWAYS be on top unless there is grass growing in it, in which the grass will bury it.... just like I said originally.

    Funny man, asking for "science" when you can't comprehend the science thats in front of you.
    Putting them in a Jar won't work. A jar confines and supports the soil. A jar also lacks vegetation, insects, microscopic life, bacteria, decaying roots etc. A jar minimizes the effects of freezing, thawing and rain as it confines and supports the soil,....

    ... That is until the Jar BREAKS due to the water in it freezing and expanding, which is exactly what it does to soil, which is exactly one of the points i'm tying to convey, soil moves, expands, contracts, things slowly sift though it over time. That is fact based science. Though you can't easily see it, soil is moving. It is moving due to cold, heat, insects, decaying roots, etc. It is heaving, cracking, freezing, thawing, getting wet, drying out. This slowly sifts a heavier dense object, such as a coin through them.
    Last edited by GoDeep; May 08, 2018 at 08:52 AM.

 

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Some Deep Silver and Some Deep Wheaties Found Today!
    By Cool Hand Fluke in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 20, 2018, 05:38 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 13, 2017, 07:28 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 07, 2017, 12:05 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 18, 2017, 08:47 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun 16, 2015, 12:06 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0