Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: How deep is your silver?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Jan 2015
    76 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Most of my permissions are old pasture grounds, many have never seen a plough.
    Modern coins from the last hundred years, 2-6 inch deep.
    1700's -late 1800's 5-8inch.
    The older silver coins are small thin hammered types and there difficult to find on unworked ground, mostly 6inch plus, i've found a number of them at the 8 inch mark, but very desperate scratchy signals.
    There's always the exceptions to the rules though, i've dug 10inch+ deep 1800's milled silver and copper.
    I'll also add that my soil is quite mineralised, most of the deep coins came from the Etrac and Signum, most of the other machines i've used just couldn't get any decent depth.
    Timebandit likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    359 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow. It looks like my simple question about a general sink rate caused a bit of a firestorm. That was certainly not my intent; I was just trying to understand a bit more about my new hobby.

I have to weigh in on the idea of objects (including coins) moving around in the soil column based on many factors including rainfall, soil type, temperature differentials across the day period and seasons, and natural movement of the soil for any myriad reasons. I'll support my argument by looking at the rocks that heave upward from my soil on a regular basis. I live in an area in which my soil is classed as sandy clay. It is fairly hard packed unless it rains.

Over the period of a year, rocks tend to percolate up based on temperature differentials and water content of the soil. That actually can be demonstrated with a jar and some soil. If, for example, you take a quart jar and fill it 2/3 - 3/4 full of soil with rocks and pebbles and gently shake it, the larger rocks will - over time - percolate to the top. I think that if natural objects (rocks) move in the soil column, coins could do the same thing. The interesting question may be, how do they start any possible migration. Perhaps that's where tilling and grading, soil deposition, etc. come into to play.

That said, I have found a few coins with relatively modern dates (>1980) at depths of 3 - 4 inches and a Ruger pistol that has likely been in the ground over 50 years at essentially the same depth but different soil types. Looks like I'm going to have to plant a coin garden and monitor depths over the next year. Way too much time on my hands.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    767 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Density of the soil and moisture play a roll in coins sinking but the biggest factor is vibrations over time.. I have seen coins in the 1990's that are 8" deep in virgin soil. Mulch from mowing etc has very little to do with depth of a coin. It takes years of mowing to build up 1" of soil and then it is black top soil..

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links