Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: They Say There Are No Dumb Questions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2005
    Iowa
    White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT Fisher 1280x
    72 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have used the surveyor flags on my grid pattern for many years. I cut the wire to 6" and have a place in my belt bag to carry a hand full of them.
    GA_Boy, Ogre1190, Kace and 3 others like this.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1572 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
    I have used the surveyor flags on my grid pattern for many years. I cut the wire to 6" and have a place in my belt bag to carry a hand full of them.
    Sounds like a winner.
    Marvin
    Kace likes this.
    From the Redneck dictionary-----------un·der·tak·er | \ˌən-dər-ˈtā-kər,
    The last person to see you Naked.
    Beep, Beep.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1968 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
    Exactly what I do when gridding. Just keep hopscotching the back pair of flags. 😁
    Kace and Joe-Dirt like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    778 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I either use small flags like they use to mark buried phone and electrical lines or I use landmarks and focus on a spot each pass. I did a 60 acre soccer park one time and it took me 2 months to grid hunt it. One that site I used about 10 flags and moved one every pass.

I like the tennis ball idea and may try that.
    Loco-Digger and Kace like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    8649 times
    And go slowly. Also keep in mind that after rain or winter frost heaves targets my now be within your detectors depth range.
    boogeyman, Kace and holepuncher like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    The tennis ball work great in an area where there aren't any mower tracks. Space them out it a line and when you come up to one use your coil to sweep it over to the end of your sweep and continue to the next tennis ball.
    Have you thought of those day glow golf balls? I've made up 11 (used to be 12) with SS welding rod (4"long) in a drilled hole with a drop of superglue. Those lil boogers are handy as heck! They don't roll, good markers, and great for holding the tip of your long tape measure. Made a few for a friend that was tying surveyors tape on everything in sight except his legs. Only time I found they didn't work was with my labby. She kept bringing em to me. How do you explain to a dog, no I meant to leave it there.... sheeze......
    Loco-Digger, Kace and holepuncher like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    2758 times
    I'm very interested in gridding and I plan on doing it a lot next year when I'm retired. I plan on using plastic fluorescent yellow tent stakes and fluorescent yellow string. Going to measure my swing for the width of the string -6 inches for overlap. Then set the length for whatever the site is I'm at. I have a couple ideas how to grid but this one seems the best to try first.
    Kace and A2coins like this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    3148 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I use construction flag markers for detecting, mushroom and ginseng hunting.

Kace
    holepuncher and A2coins like this.

us
    Don

Feb 2016
    Missouri
    macro racer 2, whites mx5, trx pinpointer
    744 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    I do search my permissions in a grid pattern but I don't mark them off with rope or balls or anything. I follow the landscape and use trees and bushes and other things to mark where I am going. I can also look back in grassy areas and see where I have been by looking at the footprints I have created while taking short steps. Those footprints become my line to follow. I grid as I go so valuable swing time is not wasted.
    This is much the same as I do. Four or five inch tall grass reveals my shuffle marks nicely. Also have a few of the orange construction flags in my beater, detecting truck.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    858 times
    i just use plastic bottle caps or sticks that i find out there.i only carry what fits it my pockets.
    good luck brad
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1572 times
    I have seen some folks doing this type of detecting. Just ramble around in no discernible pattern..
    Marvin
    https://www.amazon.com/ECOVACS-N79S-...2141158&sr=1-3
    A2coins likes this.
    From the Redneck dictionary-----------un·der·tak·er | \ˌən-dər-ˈtā-kər,
    The last person to see you Naked.
    Beep, Beep.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    14546 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Its about having fun if you grid you still need to come from different directions sounds like a good plan
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    685 times
    Metal Detecting
    You've got the right mind set. Covering a small area well, will often pay off better than going over a larger area in a sloppy fashion.
    As to dumb questions, I generally stumble over questions about whether a particular site is worth detecting or not. If it's handy to you, the only way to really know is to get moving and give it a good hunt. Sometimes great finds show up in the strangest places. I found a presidential campaign token from the 1860 Lincoln/Douglas election under the basement stairway in an old house with a dirt floor one time. Thought it was a quarter until I got it cleaned up a bit.
    luvsdux

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    626 times
    This is an interesting resurrection of an older thread especially in light of a site that I am working these days. The site is what I refer to as my "learning permission" because I am still fairly new to serious MD work, the site is old enough to be interesting (100 years old or so), it is close enough to the house that it takes little time to get there, and the owners are good friends.

I started out working the site willy-nilly then went to a grid system. I was still working around the edge of the house looking for coin spills and stuff thrown from the house. On my most recent trip, I did less detecting and more exploring/research. I had talked with the owner - who lived in the house as a child in the late 1940's and early 1950's. She pointed out areas where her grandfather's outbuildings had been.

I spent most of my last visit stomping around the property and found (and documented using the Spyglass app) several interesting places. For example, I found foundation stones that suggest the location of the old shop/storage building as well as two or three slight depressions in the earth that suggest dump sites.

I'll be working those sites pretty heavily on my next few trips.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links