Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm trying to learn as much about my EQ-600 as I can, I've decided to invoke my inner nerd and make a spreadsheet in Google Sheets that I can use to track what I dig. Here's an example from two recent hunts.

EQ-600.jpg

I have each entry indexed in order to keep things in their original form after sorting. I use two fields for numbers in order to have a value that will sort individually that way I can easily see what numbers correspond to what finds. The depths are approximate based on the length of my digging tool blade. Looks like I'm going to have to etch depth marks on the blade so I can get a little better estimate.

The biggest problem I see with the sheet so far is the inability to logically sort the find by name. Unless I use the exact same spelling each time I enter an item, the sort would be meaningless. I'm way overthinking this thing but I'm considering creating a database with a drop-down list of items commonly found or, at least, create an alpha-numeric code for each item found (for example, 1=nickel, 2=zinc penny, etc.)

If any of y'all want to weigh in on a different/better way to do what I am doing, feel free to let me know.

I apparently have too much time on my hands but at least this project keeps my mind working.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you're doing is nothing but wasting time.. Spend more time detecting and then you won't waste time on a D base. Throw your trash in one can and coins in another and when you get $100 in clad go to coinstar.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you're doing is nothing but wasting time.. Spend more time detecting and then you won't waste time on a D base. Throw your trash in one can and coins in another and when you get $100 in clad go to coinstar.

You are probably quite right that, for most folks, my exercise is an incredible waste of time but, to tell the truth, I enjoy quantifying things. I know that I learn best when I am methodical in my methods and I am trying to learn how to use my Equinox 600. Besides, it really doesn't take much time to jot down a few notes and put them in my db when I am working on my computer in the mornings. Who knows, maybe the information I develop will be useful to someone else some day.

MiTreasureHunter

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2018
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, XP Deus, AT-Pro, F2, Minelab Equinox 800 on order..
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a similar project but I made it in video format.

Rings and other Jewelry

Coins

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Mi ... I have watched those videos and enjoyed them. As a new detectorist with a new EQ-600 I found the info to be very useful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread