Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be the right spot for this post but I couldn't find another header that seemed right.

I was detecting at a house that is >100 years old and which, for the past 20 or so years, has been vacant. The most previous occupants were a group of guys who were working on a local road construction project. They had rented it and live there for about 4 years.

I was working fairly close to the house (3-4 feet) and found the usual repository of pull tabs, bottle caps, and foil packaging. I got an interesting signal that bounced between 25 - 33 (EQ-600 numbers) so I decided to dig. I came up with a wad of pennies in what looked like a concrete matrix.

Got it home, washed the dirt off of it, found one penny facing outward - dated 1975. Went to the garage and, using a large flat bladed screwdriver, struck the matrix at what looked like a cleavage line. When it cracked open, it was shiny silver.

My question is, other than sending it to the jewelry store where my wife works part time, how can I determine if the matrix is silver?

There has to be an interesting story to this find.

Pennies in Matrix.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennies in a firepit, encased in melted beer can?

Good chance that's true. That would account for the closeness of the pennies. Makes sense since aluminum melts off over 750 degrees before copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread