Raptor 31 or lesche for the park.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grave Digger Tools "Nemesis" shovel, Lesche "Sampson Pro" shovel, Deteknix "Diamond" hand digger, Grave Digger Tools "Sidekick" hand digger. :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0287 (2).jpg
    IMG_0287 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Root slayer shovel,like the piranha but half the price!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Predator tools. Will last you a lifetime.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree spade- Walmart $20. It has a long thin blade so you can make small plugs and it doesn't tear up the turf too much. I put a short loop of line on mine so I can sling it around my shoulder and its really low profile and light when you are hiking along for a good distance. Plus its a decent walking stick on tough terrain since it has a longer handle than most diggers. Not all walmarts have them but most do.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Cold Steel SOG entrenching tool/shovel. Small, easy to carry, and makes a VERY GOOD weapon without the nasty look. Check it out. ╦╦Ç

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grave Digger Tools "Nemesis" shovel, Lesche "Sampson Pro" shovel, Deteknix "Diamond" hand digger, Grave Digger Tools "Sidekick" hand digger. :skullflag:

You can clearly see Terry does NOT &@$# around....

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you have any experience with a White's Ground Hawg shovel? I can get one locally but, based on popular opinion, I may want to get the Lesche Sampson Pro.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the ground hog would be a good high quality shovel like the sampson. It's a little longer with a little wider blade than the 31" sampson. I have the 31" and 18" sampson T handle shovels and love the 18". I hardly ever use the longer one, but that's just myself and both will work well. I like to get on my knees after I cut the plug open, and if you need to dig deeper/more from there it's nicer to have the smaller shovel in hand rather than trying to awkwardly use the longer handled while kneeling down or having to stand up again to use it. Also if a person thinks they may use it in a public place like a park, the smaller 18" is less obscure.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of ground will you be digging? Ive broken/bent everything I've owned. First few I went with lowes specials, broke them all. next went to sampson t handle, have bent it a few times but still not totally broken. Next I went to whites groundhawg. broke it twice, once at the base of the tube handle, welded it and then the round stock connected to the blade broke. . onto a predator shovel now. We will see how it lasts, seems much better quality than the others I've used so far.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought one small garden shovel and it was a waste of money. I've bought two lesche shovels: t handle sampson and t handle 18" (to fit in backpack). They are very well made and I always have to cut roots so they get a workout. They are a little pricey but worth every penny. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of ground will you be digging?

The question about ground is well taken. I live and hunt in an area with every soil type from sandy loam to hard packed clay - sometimes within a few yards of each other. Many places have rocks that percolate up through the soil over time (especially during the winter). It seems that everywhere I get signals is overrun with roots.

@DivineProfit, thanks for the suggestion about a shorter handled shovel. I like that idea for the reasons you mentioned. As I mentioned in my first post on this subject, I have been using a trenching shovel that works pretty well but it has an incredibly long handle. Definitely less than subtle.

dhog

Feb 26, 2018
SW Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 400 AT PRO Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have White's Groundhog so far I really like it. Not to heavy and haven't bent it yet

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Lesche Relic Hunter shovel. These are very well made and can stand up to the elements.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dislike any hand digger or shovel type that has a serrated edge. Catches on too many roots. ╦╦Ç

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question about ground is well taken. I live and hunt in an area with every soil type from sandy loam to hard packed clay - sometimes within a few yards of each other. Many places have rocks that percolate up through the soil over time (especially during the winter). It seems that everywhere I get signals is overrun with roots.

@DivineProfit, thanks for the suggestion about a shorter handled shovel. I like that idea for the reasons you mentioned. As I mentioned in my first post on this subject, I have been using a trenching shovel that works pretty well but it has an incredibly long handle. Definitely less than subtle.

If your not in yards with it I would try the predator tools if you can afford it. Vey pleased so far (only had it for 2 month or so, dug easily over 1000 holes with it so far) they have lots of options to choose from, I think mine is the pirana model?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Sampson 58 Dixie (36" ball top handle). Discontinued - but I could fight off the Zombie Apocalypse with it. Strong and easy to use. The "T" handle would probably be good and is still available.

HPIM0593.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread