Large coin - surface find - Any chance of ID?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

This was found while searching for arrowheads today. I know it’s completely messed up, but was hoping you may know of an ID based on shape, size and weight. I lightened up the photos a little to see it better, my hands aren’t really that red lol.

It weighs 4.8 grams and is REALLY thin. It’s copper. Definitely a coin. Hopefully the photo can help with size. I have it currently soaking in olive oil. Any advice on further cleaning? How long in olive oil should it sit?

I know it’s a long shot to ID it, but if anyone would know, it would be all of you.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526333427.885677.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526333439.623599.jpg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "coin find" is in a condition we here call "toast"...

No offense.

I will be HIGHLY surprised if this is I.D.'d in its current condition.

We are good here... but no one is that good ... anywhere. heh

Like I said no offense.

Lets let some coin guys recommend some tips on getting you down to the coin...
IF it even is a coin... for at this point it is even hard to say that for sure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I see you safely getting that thing "back" to legible condition IMO would be an electrolysis.

Which you can do easily.

YouTube. :)

PS...

This is not only the best way to salvage this coin... but highly recommended.

You may have found a rare copper coin for all we know.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! I am going to look in to electrolysis. I went back out a few hours later and again found a toasted one. Same size. Ugh frustrating but that’s all part of the game I guess.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You can narrow the ID by seeing How the coin rings up on the machine. British coins, King George, ring lower, like a zinc cent. US copper usually rings higher, like a quarter.

Per AARC’s recommendation, electrolysis might work.

Good luck to you and congrats on the score.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another method for cleaning copper coins without making them worse. Put about 1/2 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide in a small glass dish. Microwave the Peroxide for about 30 seconds to get it boiling. Remove from microwave and drop the coin into the Peroxide and it will bubble and fizz until the peroxide cools off. Pick off any loose material with a wooden toothpick. Repeat as many times as needed.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I tried electrolysis last night. It bubbled away, but oddly I did not even see a single bit of residue come off of the coin. I’ve seen some videos where it changes the entire color of the water and becomes cloudy. Mine didn’t do that at all. I put the negative wire to the coin, and positive wire to the stainless spoon. Both bubbled away but I did not notice a change at all on the coin. I let it go for a good 10-15 minutes.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you use for the electrolytic solution? I like Arm & Hammer Washing SODA and water.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually tried it again. I used baking soda, but this time used only salt. I put it in a smaller jar this time and it started up and changed color immediately! I need to do it more though. How long should I keep it going for? I only tried 10 minutes.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the coin's diameter and thickness in MMs. That's how they are measured worldwide, including usa. That may narrow down the id process. ╦╦Ç

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Do it just a few minutes at a time, so as not to overdo it. I use baking soda and salt water as the solution. You can shock it until eats all of the corrosion off, but it looks odd to me, with no patina.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a head! After the second attempt at electrolysis. I’m getting there!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526521315.247450.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526521340.127569.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread