Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Sidcane ... I'm heading to Scotland and Ireland later this year and have had the same thoughts ... where to detect while I'm visiting. It looks like detecting in Scotland is a very complex issue. I found an interesting document that explains the "Treasure Trove" laws. Here is the link to that info: http://www.gov.scot/resource/doc/253350/0075060.pdf

I'm still reading the rules and will appreciate any input you have about their interpretation. I certainly don't want to get cross-wise with the laws in Scotland.

OP
OP
S

Sidcane

Aug 14, 2017
Flagler county fl
Detector(s) used
Ace 250&400 just bought at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found that info. Sounds like u have to report anytbing u find and if they lime it they will pay u for finding it. If it a common find tbey give it nack to u....i am going in November. Guess will ask locals and hit shorelines.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I put little stock into what some of those compendium lists have compiled. Some of it (heck, for most all except Britian) sounds downright dire. If not explicit "no's". Filled with all sorts of scary verbiage on cultural heritage blah blah.

The reason I put little stock into the lists, is the way they were compiled years or decades ago. It was simple: They just emailed or dialed up a lawyer or bureaucrat pencil pusher there, and asked. What could be more logical than that, eh ? Who better to ask, then the entity themselves, eh ? But here's where it gets funky :

The old "no one cared till you asked" psychology can occur on a NATIONWIDE scale, just like it can occur on a city scale. You know the drill: No one ever cared or had a problem before. But then one day, someone shows up at city hall , asking questions, and gets a "no". So the old-timers are left scratching their heads saying "since when ?". SO TOO DOES IT HAPPEN on large country scale too. Someone in an archie's office couches shipwreck salvor laws, or cultural heritage laws (which never applied to anything except sensitive obvious monuments before that), and presto: You get the pressing safe answer to a silly question.

Then these dire sounding "no's" make it on to the compendiums. Then links lead to links. And before long, no one can ever put it to rest. It's just taken as gospel law. Perhaps the language was never meant to apply to private land (farmer's fields with permission).

It would be no different than if someone were getting ready to vacation in the USA and inquired ahead. He might find a purist archie to cite ARPA, or morph Mel Fisher legal hassles, and cite all kinds of scary language.

I would read between the lines. I would go help that farmer find the lost ring his wife just lost. Or go find the ring your wife lost on the beach last night. But that's just me. Of course avoid archie conventions and obvious historic monument type spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread