Advice for someone that does not detect? (Cleaning an OLD find)

QuickQuestion

May 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

I do not detect myself, and I apologize if there is a better section to post this in. Please feel free to merge/lock if need be.

Anyway, I recently allowed someone to detect on family property which is very old. They found 6 flat buttons all together from the 1700s. Two, I am told, are George Washington inaugural flat buttons. I allowed the person to keep 4 (including one of the GW buttons), and I kept two (the other GW and a regular one).

The one I allowed them to keep is in better shape than mine. But hey, nice guy and I never would have found them otherwise.

My question is - should I attempt to clean mine, or let it be? If I do clean it, what are some safe methods, or am I better off having a professional do it? I’ve tried to google on the topic but I didn’t come across anyone that specifically advertises that specific service.

I will try to add a picture, I’m posting on my phone so we’ll see if I can figure that out.

I appreciate any feedback

Attachments

• 376E99A5-97CB-4D13-A5EC-CA0557B82B57.jpeg
    376E99A5-97CB-4D13-A5EC-CA0557B82B57.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a whole section here on Tnet devoted to cleaning and preserving your finds. It's toward the bottom of the forums page.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on what I see leave it. The issue is wear, not corrosion, and in that circumstance cleaning always makes it worse. You can't bring back detail that is already gone.

You could try a Qtip dipped in peroxide and see if that removes anything to reveal detail. It's a pretty safe starting point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread