Apr 24, 2007
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Spectra V3i
White's Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following story is from about 4 years ago.

I was just sitting with my wife talking about how it had been a while since I found a ring metal detecting, and she reminded me of a ring that my young son and I had located for a woman a few years ago over in Pennsylvania. I searched the internet a bit and was able to find the old story and a photo! I met the woman through a website that helps people find lost items and I thought it might be nice to share the story with Treasurenet.

Lost Ring found June 2014:

Ok, I'm not a great story teller, but it goes like this. I noticed the Lost Item Report for item number 1289 on my cell phone. I haven't had one close by yet that I could go look for and this one was 50 miles away. I had June 26th off so I asked my 4 year old if he would like to come help a woman find a lost ring. He was very excited and agreed to tag along. I sent Jennifer (the woman who had lost her ring.) an e-mail, and we got in touch via text messaging. We set up a meeting time of 5:00 PM on June 26th.

When I meet up with Jennifer she was a very nice person. Jennifer informed me that she had lost the ring out of her pocket about 5 years ago while she was planting shrubs in a wooded area near her home. Jennifer wasn't sure where exactly she had lost the ring but did say that it fell out of her pocket. She went on to explain that the ring was a gift from her husband and that she had even tried renting a metal detector to look for it when she'd lost it.

Armed with my White's V3i and a 4 year old son to run the digger and pinpointer, I began to do a quick random search of the area that Jennifer believed she had lost the ring in. I had noticed that there where a few random pieces of aluminum laying around so I wanted to see how many trash targets I'd be dealing with. My first swipe of the detector revealed a zinc penny laying on top of the dirt. 2 minutes in, I had dug a piece of foil and a brass screw. About 7 minutes after that I had a really strong solid ring/foil signal and I told Jennifer that we may be really lucky or we were about to dig up a really nice pull tab. After my 4 year old played around a few minutes with the pinpointer, I dug about 2 inches down and out popped Jennifer's ring! I couldn't believe that the ring was recovered in 10 minutes! Jennifer was super excited about the find and couldn't believe that someone from a random website that she saw on Facebook came out and found her ring that had been lost for 5 years in 10 minutes!
It was a great day out with my son, and it was nice to be able to help Jennifer find her ring. I couldn't believe how lucky I got to swing my detector right over the ring while just doing a random check of the area!
What a great website Lost My Stuff is that we can help people like this!
The Found Ring!

found ring.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread