MetalKid

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I've had my Ace 250 for about a year but I just moved to Hyde Park in Chicago so I want to get a machine that can function in wet sand. I found someone selling a Bounty Hunter 2200 for 60$ but I'm not sure if it is a good beach detector.

Any detectors that work well in wet sand that I can get for a decent price used? My budget is probably about 200$ if I want to sell my Ace 250.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quality sand scoop is going to cost $150.00 - $250.00 all by itself. Beach hunting is expensive. The most inexpensive waterproof FRESHWATER detector is the Garrett AT Pro ($555.00). :skullflag:
...but Terry will tell you too...it can be worth the money -
If you get lucky and just find an average size 14k wedding band - you can pay for that scoop easily
and a couple more and you can get a better salt water machine - Terry has done very well - so has OBN who has well over 100 gold rings this year
...AGAIN!
Depends on the time and commitment your willing to put into it
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

maxjayden748

Dec 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey You can find your ANTP, Tiger shark, and Equinox are worth a lot of money to own

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 words: NOKTA MAKRO SIMPLEX

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a Nokta Makro Simplex for fresh water detecting. $250.00 very well spent. Best value currently on the market. Salt water Gets a bit more expensive!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I can't imagine anyone paying $250.00 for a sand scoop. My idea is to have one that has NO METAL in it.
I put a broom handle on a plastic scoop for my use. Plastic ties and JB Weld to hold the handle.
Note: I do not go in the water--------------just sandy beaches. I want to be able to scoop while standing and then run my detector over it. I see VIDS of guys W/Metal scoops shaking out the sand and really not knowing whether they have anything or not.
For me a metal scoop would be a time killer.
Marvin
https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Plastic-Sand-Scoop/dp/B000RZC5AG

I’ve seen videos of guys shaking their scoops like crazy and I shake my head. Proper technique is to check your hole after each scoop not waste time and energy shaking out sand when you don’t even know if the target is in the scoop. Simple scan over the hole every scoop first. A metal scoop for the whole beach is the way to go. Their is no need to scan your scoop either. If it’s not in the whole it’s in your scoop.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace functions in wet sand [fresh] just fine, I used to take mine in the water right up to the control housing [which you don't want to dunk]
As everyone else suggests, get a decent sandscoop. I got a beauty from a Ukrainian guy on ebay for under $100 shipped. Pinpointers also come in handy for shallow targets wet or dry, don't even need to scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread