Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Budgeted Beach Detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Metal Kid

Mar 2017
    Illinois
    Garrett Ace 250
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Budgeted Beach Detecting

Hey everyone, I've had my Ace 250 for about a year but I just moved to Hyde Park in Chicago so I want to get a machine that can function in wet sand. I found someone selling a Bounty Hunter 2200 for 60$ but I'm not sure if it is a good beach detector.

Any detectors that work well in wet sand that I can get for a decent price used? My budget is probably about 200$ if I want to sell my Ace 250.

Thanks!

If you are going to be hunting in fresh water wet sand, your Ace 250 should work fine. If you are hunting Lake Michigan beaches, I would go for it. Salt water wet sand would require something a little more expensive.
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19723 times
    Metal Detecting
    A quality sand scoop is going to cost $150.00 - $250.00 all by itself. Beach hunting is expensive. The most inexpensive waterproof FRESHWATER detector is the Garrett AT Pro ($555.00).

Spend the extra few bucks and get a Tesoro Tiger Shark if you are going in the water. Tesoro has a Lifetime Warranty. I used my Tiger Shark for 5 years and ended up with a leak at the coil. I sent it back to Tesoro {$17 shipping}. They replaced the coil & headphones and recalibrated the box and shipped it back for free. Good Luck doing that with a 5 year old Garrett.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27771 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    A quality sand scoop is going to cost $150.00 - $250.00 all by itself. Beach hunting is expensive. The most inexpensive waterproof FRESHWATER detector is the Garrett AT Pro ($555.00).
    Terry is correct, something to keep in mind, that $150 scoop can be sold 5 years from now for $100-$125, the $250 can be sold 5 years from now for $200-$225. As long as you take care of scoop they lose very little value. Twice I have sold $200 scoops for $175 used.
    Terry Soloman and BrettCo124 like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    782 times
    My personal suggestion is getting a used Tesoro sand shark. May be able to get one for 350-400 on eBay. Try letgo too. Or the marketplace.

A Sand Shark in fresh water would drive you crazy digging 3 foot deep bobby pins. Stick to the Tiger Shark for fresh water.

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    511 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    As others have said, keep your ace 250 until you have enough cash to get a AT Pro, Tiger Shark, Equinox. For now get a good sand scoop and yea they are as much as your ace 250 but man they are worth it.

us
    Jun 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
    31 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Steve View Post
    A Sand Shark in fresh water would drive you crazy digging 3 foot deep bobby pins. Stick to the Tiger Shark for fresh water.
    As a long time Tiger Shark owner I agree here.

May 2018
    2 times
    Keep your ace 250 until you have enough cash to get a AT Pro, Tiger Shark, Equinox
    Last edited by tamzin; May 27, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
    Normsel and Dragonscout like this.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.
    192.168.0.1 login, run 3 game

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1531 times
    I can't imagine anyone paying $250.00 for a sand scoop. My idea is to have one that has NO METAL in it.
    I put a broom handle on a plastic scoop for my use. Plastic ties and JB Weld to hold the handle.
    Note: I do not go in the water--------------just sandy beaches. I want to be able to scoop while standing and then run my detector over it. I see VIDS of guys W/Metal scoops shaking out the sand and really not knowing whether they have anything or not.
    For me a metal scoop would be a time killer.
    Marvin
    https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Plast.../dp/B000RZC5AG
    From the Redneck dictionary-----------un∑der∑tak∑er | \ˌən-dər-ˈtā-kər,
    The last person to see you Naked.
    Beep, Beep.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    776 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A sand scoop doesn't have to cost $150 you can get hand held scoops from $9 to SS for $37 from garrett

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27771 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
    I can't imagine anyone paying $250.00 for a sand scoop. My idea is to have one that has NO METAL in it.
    I put a broom handle on a plastic scoop for my use. Plastic ties and JB Weld to hold the handle.
    Note: I do not go in the water--------------just sandy beaches. I want to be able to scoop while standing and then run my detector over it. I see VIDS of guys W/Metal scoops shaking out the sand and really not knowing whether they have anything or not.
    For me a metal scoop would be a time killer.
    Marvin
    https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Plast.../dp/B000RZC5AG

Scoop your describing is okay in dry sand but not very good at all in hard wet sand or water. I find far more gold rings in the wet sand and water than I ever find in the dry sand. Try standing on a plastic scoop to push it in deeper in the hard wet sand and see how long it lasts. I see guys at the beach with the plastic scoops digging and I can dig circles around them with my metal scoop recovering a lot more targets a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
    I see VIDS of guys W/Metal scoops shaking out the sand and really not knowing whether they have anything or not.
    You take a scoop of sand and re-scan target with your detector to see if target is still there, if no response from target that is when you empty out the scoop.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

au
    Beach Roomba Hunter

Feb 2017
    Australia
    Minelab Sovereign Elite
    18 times
    Ace 250 is pretty good detector. If you decide wet sand detecting then there isnít much a budget detector. Once you start detecting near the wet sand at beach, you gotta have the right tool for the job. I would stick with the Ace 250 on dry sand. Once you have a set cash on side, then invest a decent beach detector (sand shark, minelab sov, and etc). If your in this hobby for long run, it will pay itself off sooner or later. Best luck on your journey.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17931 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Recovered quite a few gold and silver rings at fresh water beaches and lakes using the AT PRO. Over the years I have accumulated 4 or 5 scoops. Plastic or small basket scoops for shallow dry sand targets. Heavier 2 pieces metal scoops for in water recoveries.
    They don't go bad.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links