My Cheap Metal Detector Has Paid For Itself Over and Over

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Cheap Metal Detector Has Paid For Itself Over and Over (Images Added)

My first metal detector is a Bounty Hunter IV cost me about $160. In using it about 20 hours total I have found;

1 - 14K Gold Ring with a 2K Sapphire sold to jeweler for $190
4 - Sterling silver rings (still have)
1 Tungsten ring (gifted to someone)
Tag Hauer Swiss watch (sold for parts on Ebay $40)
1 - Sterling/Palladium/Platinum Class ring with an emerald. (still have it awaiting owner to contact me)
Close to 100 fishing sinkers (my other big hobby is fishing)
About $10 in clad coins (spent)

Keep in mind I have dug close to 500 70s pull tabs. I have found a virgin swimming hole not detected much if at all since the 1970s. I can go down right now and find 2 dozen 70s style pull tabs in an hour easy. The place is only a 3 minute drive from my house.

:laughing7:

GOLD RING.jpg
SILVER RING.JPG
20180603_103701.jpg
20180603_103851.jpg
20180603_103913.jpg
20180603_103959.jpg
20180603_104221.jpg
20180603_104328.jpg
20180603_104434.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bounty hunter tracker IV was also my 1st detector. I'm running an equinox now but I still have that original detector and have purchased anouther one. My kids use them. For the price they are a good machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You Go Boy! Show us your Booty!!:occasion14::headbang::hello2:

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK when I get back. I am going down in about a half hour until dark. I found the class ring yesterday along with some other costume jewelry. I'm finding that using a little science has helped me a bunch.

I'm detecting a low lake area swimming beach. I calculated the areas where most people had to actually swim because the water was deep. It's the swimming that causes the rings to fly off. Sunblock+treading water=slippery hands and the rings float right off... especially in a place where people jump in and have to come to the surface.

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK when I get back. I am going down in about a half hour until dark. I found the class ring yesterday along with some other costume jewelry. I'm finding that using a little science has helped me a bunch.

I'm detecting a low lake area swimming beach. I calculated the areas where most people had to actually swim because the water was deep. It's the swimming that causes the rings to fly off. Sunblock+treading water=slippery hands and the rings float right off... especially in a place where people jump in and have to come to the surface.

I like how you think!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always tell all new people to start with the bounty hunter tracker IV. They are cheap and a great beginner machine to get someone started. They are on sale right now at academy for $79. I had one as my first detector and knew if I didn't like the sport I only blew like $60 and if I liked it I would find $60 worth of stuff then get a better machine. I think it took me like two weeks to get my $60 back and I ended up buying a CZ21, a $1200 machine, within about 2 months. They are great first detectors that a lot of people overlook for some reason.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
AusTexDude: Your post shows the most important thing is where you hunt. The second most important thing is the skill, experience, perseverance and plain luck of the person doing the hunting. The third thing (in order) is the machine. Start small with a simple detector and learn where to hunt, how to hunt, and how to use it. Work up - and keep going back to good spots with your newer model(s). For many beginners the best bet is a sound used detector - that involves, in my opinion, a local purchase from a trusted source. Like home exercise equipment, there are lot of good detectors just gathering dust. A treadmill makes a much better clothes rack, however.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your are thinking right...where people swim = Gold and Silver jewelry! Keep at it, the ratio of Gold to pull-tabs will eventually be in your favor!

GL & HH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persistence is the key. And if we don't dig junk, we'll miss the good stuff.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK uploaded the images to the original post. That's only about 1/4th of the fishing sinkers I have found. The rest have already been added to my boxes.

59CRL

May 2, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites, Bounty Hunter, Tecknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one as my first detector and knew if I didn't like the sport I only blew like $60 and if I liked it I would find $60 worth of stuff then get a better machine. I think it took me like two weeks to get my $60 back and I ended up buying a CZ21, a $1200 machine, within about 2 months. They are great first detectors that a lot of people overlook for some reason.

Yes and also look for used detectors in good condition if you don't mind a used one. I picked up a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 for $30 used once then put back in the box.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have multiple cheap bounty hunter detectors and I'm always on the look out for more. I'm addicted to them ... :P My most expensive finds have been with the Tracker 4.. ($4500 wedding ring).. When I'm visiting areas that are kinda "unsafe" I usually take along a cheap detector just in case someone tries to rob me.. lol. BTW .... DAMN NICE HUNT ! :icon_thumright:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V93s6pU5Yr53ZSnS2

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, you have some really nice finds! Keep on digging!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
OK uploaded the images to the original post. That's only about 1/4th of the fishing sinkers I have found. The rest have already been added to my boxes.

Have you tried the San Marcus any, used to be great, also Landa park.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the San Marcus any, used to be great, also Landa park.

No but I really want to here soon. I lived in San Marcos for 5 years back around the turn of the century.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No but I really want to here soon. I lived in San Marcos for 5 years back around the turn of the century.

Oh heck, so you know the party tubers then. Used to snorkel it long ago and find plenty.

Another good spot back in the day was Landa Park. Then if you can make it over to it check out the Bandera Bridge by the stock yard auction, and further would be in Pipe Creek a bridge called English Crossing. All good little banks to hit, lots of drunk drops.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh heck, so you know the party tubers then. Used to snorkel it long ago and find plenty.

Another good spot back in the day was Landa Park. Then if you can make it over to it check out the Bandera Bridge by the stock yard auction, and further would be in Pipe Creek a bridge called English Crossing. All good little banks to hit, lots of drunk drops.

I was one of those tubers a couple times. That water is freaking cold... but the colder the water the more the fingers shrink the more rings to be had.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was one of those tubers a couple times. That water is freaking cold... but the colder the water the more the fingers shrink the more rings to be had.

Yeah it is pretty cold, all year long. Way back in then there was a water park off that river that used that water from the river in all of its rides. Had these crazy tube rides that where just cement and nothing covering them that dumped right into the river off this massive slide down. It was their longest ride of like 4 hours, and right at the end big sand paper grinding slide that someone was always getting hurt at. That spot was perfect to snorkel where it hit the river, always find some good stuff there.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Got my TK4 off Craigslist for $20. Here's my good finds this year so far.
IMG_20180614_092125.jpg gl01.jpg
I up graded to a Whites Treasure Pro , Hated it. VDI numbers jumped all around, kept saying quarter,dug bottle caps , wasn't any deeper. Sold it two weeks after i bought it and went back to my TK4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread