Secrets to park and playground hunting, what are yours ?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I'm really suprised at the number of times I've found good finds out in the middle of nowhere. The next time your at the park or P/G try Mding out in the middle of that open field. I find alot of coins and jewelery in these locals. I also hunt around structures because people like to put there stuff and sit next too or against things like fences, walls, trees etc...

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
I'm really suprised at the number of times I've found good finds out in the middle of nowhere. The next time your at the park or P/G try Mding out in the middle of that open field. I find alot of coins and jewelery in these locals. I also hunt around structures because people like to put there stuff and sit next too or against things like fences, walls, trees etc...
trees

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think on many parks, the common areas, trees, walls, etc. get hit a lot heavier than the open areas, so the open areas have a chance to accrue more stuff, and yes, I have found goodies in the open areas too, I just keep getting drawn to the popular areas.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I spent a couple partial days at a local park. It's busy in the winter becasue of a decent-sized hill, where everyone sleds. Change must just have a way of falling-out of pockets when bouncing-around on a sled, after a wipe-out, or in the process of getting off & on the sleds. I also found my 1st ring there which probably came off a finger when someone removed a glove.

Same for concert areas, or anywhere there's a"gathering" of people with something to watch, many choose a sloped area for the incline to elevate them for a better view. Same with shade trees....most picnics are held under the shade as those who read, or just want to relax with their main-squeeze ;D

Smitty

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig the very small blips in the woodchips because they are in fact small jewelry or stuff. the pinpionter won't work because they are so small, so they may look like they are 5 inches deep, but may be 1 inch deep

HH
-GC

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
goldencoin said:
dig the very small blips in the woodchips because they are in fact small jewelry or stuff. the pinpionter won't work because they are so small, so they may look like they are 5 inches deep, but may be 1 inch deep

HH
-GC

I second this. often it is bits of foil, but it is also small ear rings etc. My dfx shows this stuff at 5.5" almost all the time, but may be only 1/2"

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good spot to detect is outside old cemetary property, along the road where they tied their horses and buggies.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Around the playground, dig everything. I always look for the shade spots where parents can sit and talk while the kids play. Before I dig I always look for signs of heavy foot traffic in the grass. The trail in and out always is worth knowing. About 30 feet from where the car is parked always is worth looking at (whenever the keys are pulled out the change usually follows).

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
The best I have found for old parks is what I call "edging". Hit the very edge of the park, the part that most people walk over to hit the big open spaces. Hit the hills as others have said. Hit the spots that others find difficult to detect. I've gotten multiple silvers out of "hunted out" parks this way.

Rich

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
great tips you guys, I'm hoping this thread will help the new hunters who think the mulch areas are the only valuable spots. Thanks ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
dowser said:
A good spot to detect is outside old cemetary property, along the road where they tied their horses and buggies.

yeah only then you run into the problem I have had three times now, you find things you probably would rather not find. Like the head off of a mystery statue and casket parts. :) :D

But I agree I think that is a good area.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
well lets see..the question was parks and playground equipment...and one guy is talking about cemeteries...ok ...back to the subject parks and playground equipment...right??? Well I start like everyone has mentioned...once I think I have covered all the obvious spots...I start the park over and hunt slowly gridding it out section by section....usually either 10 x 10 or 20 x 20 areas...

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
DFX-Gregg said:
well lets see..the question was parks and playground equipment...and one guy is talking about cemeteries...ok ...back to the subject parks and playground equipment...right??? Well I start like everyone has mentioned...once I think I have covered all the obvious spots...I start the park over and hunt slowly gridding it out section by section....usually either 10 x 10 or 20 x 20 areas...

Actually two of us were. :)

But you always find lots of stuff and I like looking at what you post so I will just sit back and read. I just can't figure out how to detect close to the playground equipment.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
mastereagle22 said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Actually two of us were. :)

But you always find lots of stuff and I like looking at what you post so I will just sit back and read. I just can't figure out how to detect close to the playground equipment.

Ok lets change this to hunting cemeteries...no seriously...I have trouble getting close to playground equipment also...what I do is turn down the sensitivity...and also a smaller coil helps...but sometimes just to much metal and detector screams like I just beat it! :D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
That has been my experience as well. Oh well I thought maybe you had found the secret to finding the treasure burried close to those types of item. :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
mastereagle22 said:
That has been my experience as well. Oh well I thought maybe you had found the secret to finding the treasure burried close to those types of item. :)

No Boobydoo is the king of the tot lots/playgrounds...maybe he add a comment...ok now back to the subject...cemeteries... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions