MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No dirty stuff now … :laughing7:

I use a 3/16 x 4" screwdriver to pop coins, but the other day finally successfully hit a couple coins that were too deep to pop with it. I could tap them; they were most likely coins, but I didn't have enough length to slip under an edge. I don't want to dig, so I left them. It's also occurred to me in the past that this screwdriver might be a little narrow for consistent lifting.

Anyone have any length/width recommendations for coin-popping screwdrivers?

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a t-handled allen wrench, 17.0cm x 4.0mm
I have rounded the end, to where there is no angle left, on the hex-shaped shaft tip....
That (mostly) eliminates any scratching stuff during probing for the target.
See attached example - it can make for a good one to try (usually sold for <$5)
thandle.JPG

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I USE the Predator#31 hand tool. Nobody beats it.:thumbsup: Nobody. And it's made in the USA. In NJ.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dirty stuff now … :laughing7:

I use a 3/16 x 4" screwdriver to pop coins, but the other day finally successfully hit a couple coins that were too deep to pop with it. I could tap them; they were most likely coins, but I didn't have enough length to slip under an edge. I don't want to dig, so I left them. It's also occurred to me in the past that this screwdriver might be a little narrow for consistent lifting.

Anyone have any length/width recommendations for coin-popping screwdrivers?

If too deep for popping use a 12" hemostat--------cut a 2-3" slit above target.
Marvin
I

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
To pop coins I took a brass welding rod cleaned the flux off and cut an old broom handle off drilled a hole in the end just a bit smaller than the rod drove the handle on and wala. Coil popper. Side note: Its about 12" long. Works great.

RedDirtGirl

Jul 9, 2017
Huntsville
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie here. I was wondering if someone could tell me how on earth you can pinpoint a target so well you can pop it out with a screwdriver! I have been detecting for about a year and I am very happy just to find the target in my plug which may be about 8 inches square. How can I get better at this? I have a new XP Deus with the 9" DD coil, so I wiggle back off of it to get an idea where it is.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An automotive gasket scraper (rounded over on a grinder) is one of my coin popping tools for groomed lawns.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know about this technique also. Just don't understand how it could work.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a ww-2 bayonet but people always gave me strange looks when in public. So, i now use a gasket scraper. I suggest getting a pack of different size scrappers and testing each size out for the best fit.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An automotive gasket scraper (rounded over on a grinder) is one of my coin popping tools for groomed lawns.

I use a gasket scraper just like you. To me I feel less liklely to scratch something with the width of the scraper as opposed to a thin screwdriver blade.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Firemanphob,

IMHO: For any of these extraction techniques to work properly, your pin pointing must be dead-on. I pin point using the machine, then use a hand held pin pointer to see if the coin (or object) is within tool depth. If it is, I create a valley (grass looks like it was cut) with the object in the middle an pry then pop it through the separated grass. Then it is simple to push back the two pieces of grass and you were never there! With the gasket scraper you can actually dig a bit in the hole without disturbing much dirt and grass. This technique does take practice, but with time you can extract coin sized objects from the best of best lawns with little or no trace. The detectorist Dirtfishing (YouTube) demonstrates the method very well for shallow targets.

If not, I use a Raptor 31C hand digger to dig a well defined plug to remove the object. Again, making sure to leave little or no trace.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Doc

OP
OP
M

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Professor for the tool tip! I had to Google "automotive gasket scraper," and it looks like it'd be just the ticket if the shaft is longer than my 4" screwdriver!

RedDirtGirl and firemanphob, coin popping is a great way to retrieve shallow targets without digging. It may even be the preferred approach in public parks, where detecting is starting to become a prohibited activity, partly because of jerks who don't fill their holes but also because allegedly wildlife and dogs take advantage of the loosened soil to dig out even well-closed plugs in search of food or whatever. (That's what I've been told, anyway.) But, yeah, you need to be good at pinpointing. A pinpointer helps a lot, especially because it doesn't detect down very deep. If the pinpointer picks up a target, it's probably within reach of your popping tool. I use a 4" screwdriver; most people seem to use longer tools, which is why I asked the question. Anyways, once you have the target pinpointed, you probe with the tool until you hit the target, then gently work the tool tip to the edge of the target, push it under a bit, and lever your target up to the surface. Done right, it takes just a few seconds and leaves absolutely no trace. Most of the coins I pop are just below the surface, maybe 1-2" down, although I have popped deeper.

Brruce

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2018
Naperville IL
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I use. The popper (1" gasket scraper) is 11" long
poppr-M.jpg

Attachments

• poppr-M.jpg
    poppr-M.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use probes or poppers. I use a lesche digger to dig a 4 sided plug.
Get signal, pinpoint w/ coil, dig plug, retrieve target, replace plug, tamper.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont use probes or poppers. I use a leave to dig a 4 sided plug.
Get signal, pinpoint w/ coil, dig plug, retrieve target, replace plug, tamper.

Same here. I always use my t handle Sampson and if I come along a shallow coin I want to retrieve I simply just use the point of the shovel and flip over a tiny patch. I'd never fumble around with a screwdriver or other tool to do this. Too much time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread