Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone !
Do you sell your treasures ? You worked hard to find them , swatted lots of bugs , Drove all over the city, Dug 1000's of holes , pissed off the significant other , And then you find something worth a decent amount of moo la.
Do you sell it?
I found a nice gold ring with 7 diamonds in my scoop the other day.
gl01.jpg
Not my first gold ring , second this year. Found my first one last year. But its soooooo nice i'm torn between selling it and keeping it. I was made an offer three times melt value.
But its sooooo nice !
What to do ???

And to those who say "give it to the wife" , i'm single. Cat was not impressed.

Upvote 0

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything I find. Clad I cash in and buy silver. I plan on leaving it all to my kids when I take the big dirt nap. :-)

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend my clad and sell everything else of value. Gold is always easy to sell, if I don't need the money I hang onto gold & silver until either the price for scrap goes up or I have a need for the money. If that lady offered $250, that will be hard to beat at scrap prices, and she might change her mind as time passes.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tend to keep all of my old coins and jewelry, but if someone really like a find; I usually just give it away. :icon_thumleft:

For your beautiful ring recovery, I'm leaning towards selling it to the lady that will wear and enjoy it...just me. :hello2:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a simple way to answer to your question.

Do you NEED the money?

Yes: sell it
No: keep it

Nah, I don't need money and I don't need stuff that takes up space that will not be used so I sell it or give it away.
Marvin

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't sell any of my precious metals. The government says I shouldn't have past a certain amount. This of course makes me want to keep as much as possible.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You can't take it with you... and if you leave it to your kids, they're just gonna get ripped off trying to unload it."

-Shakakka's motto

Seriously. I can envision my kids dumping all my silver into the coinstar machine on the way back from my funeral! "Hey look, Dad has loose change!" :laughing7:

They'd be the ones to leave all the good stuff in the reject tray, too.

I could see them taking all the rings and chains and bringing them to a jeweler. "How much for all this stuff? A thousand dollars!?!?! DEAL!"

Yeah... no thanks.

I'd say save your "firsts" and your best, most beloved finds - valuable or not. Anything else worth money? Take nice photos to remember them by, then sell them. Buy new toys. New detectors, pinpointers, headphones, etc. The best thing about the hobby is that it actually pays you to enjoy it. If you're not taking advantage of that, you're nuts!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been in hobby over 40 yrs and I regret everything ive ever sold
but I needed money to get by - if you need the cash - sell it
if you don't - I wouldn't

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lot of nice items from my first 20 yrs (started in 1975) that I would kill to have back and at
the very least I wish I had pics of all my stuff from back then
lot easier now with digital cameras to get and store pics
I had not only some real nice jewelry finds - one of a kind sort of stuff and lot of nice coins and relics
that I wish I had pics of / or still had them

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all of my finds. I might be a hoarder.

My cat is not impressed with my finds either.

Congrats on the nice find.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I had a lot of nice items from my first 20 yrs (started in 1975) that I would kill to have back and at
the very least I wish I had pics of all my stuff from back then
lot easier now with digital cameras to get and store pics
I had not only some real nice jewelry finds - one of a kind sort of stuff and lot of nice coins and relics
that I wish I had pics of / or still had them

I've only ever sold my really good gold rings, a necklace and a silver ring. I was on the fence about selling them but they'd just sit in a display case so I decided to sell. Had my daughter take nice pics of them so I'd at least have that but some how they got deleted before they were downloaded. :dontknow:
I was a little bummed but with the money it almost paid for our trip to Punta Cana so I'm not overly upset. I keep all the old coins and interesting finds though.

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my first year of detecting. So far I have found 4 silver rings, four silver coins (one is a really cool 1919 dime that I found at a tot lot) and a silver horse brooch. nothing I have is worth a whole lot... maybe 20 bucks in silver value and a bit more if I could sell my rings to people who'd use them. But I need a lot of upgrades... I have two family members who want to buy a ring. I'm like..... "I'm not sure if I wanna sell... I like them" I wouldnt really use them because I don't use much jewelry and two are men's rings... but just looking at them sparkle on my shelf makes me want to keep em! I never thought I'd find all that in my first year!!! One really cool men's ring is a hockey prize... it's really heavy 12g.!!! I'm thinking I could ask a guy I know to melt it down and make a few rings from it. I'd rather that then sell it. I could give some away as nice gifts. Also, maybe I will sell in the future... I think the first year of detecting every thing you find is worth millions in your newbie eyes lol!!!

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are no help. LOL !
I still have the ring , i'm going to save my gold and when i get a bunch saved up then ill sell.
found four gold rings so far this year.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mvgirl, that hockey ring is worth a lot more than scrap value! You could easily get several times scrap value on E-bay as many would want to collect rings such as that.
Scrap silver is so easy to obtain. Heck, I found half a dozen silver rings at the thrift stores last week for 25 cents to a dollar each.
Just took in a big pile of scrap from this summer's detecting. Modern silver coins, broken or ugly jewelry, it doesn't take long to build up.
My formula is to keep and display historic items and sell everything I consider "modern."
If someone offered me $250 (U.S.) for the ring posted by the OP, I would sell it in a heartbeat!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in my second phase of detecting.

I was avid and adventurous in my first phase from 1983 through 1987. Never sold anything or even spent the clad. Then along came the painful divorce years - she'd met someone. I have only a little jar of odd finds she didn't want, nothing of value - Canadian large cents, couple of tokens, a few slick Buffalos.

She got the rest.

Returned to the hobby in 2013, building delights again. I guess my kids will get them.

Easy come, easy go (not really reflected by the pain)!

Do what ya gotta do lest the Reaper comes for you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the wife on vacation or shopping spree.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it to get a rough appraisal. If it's less than $250 then sell it to the one who offered $250 even if you don't need the money as I doubt it's value will go up high very soon. Besides, you have no idea what the real value is yet as you might be sitting on a $500+ find and if so you better not sell it for cheap.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to have my wedding ring cut off and enlarged -I took in 3 gold rings and asked if I could sell them and pay the 125$ ring fix.
I got the bill paid and another 125$ to buy the Garrett Z link system.. I thought they treated me well// Perry

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your question depends on whether you want to keep the object or would rather have the dollars for some other purpose. I know that if I found any ladies jewelry, my wife would make the decision about selling/keeping. She likes shiny things. I show all my finds to my kids and grand-kids and, if they want anything, they can have it. Of course, that drives my daughters crazy because the kids want to keep everything that Papa finds. I just look at that as payback for all the crap they left at my house when they got married and moved out.

As for me, if an object has value to someone who is willing to part with their hard-earned to own it, I will be happy to make that transaction. As I get older, I find that I'm a lot pickier about what I want to own. Since I have plenty of stuff, I'd prefer experiences so I'm willing to sell found objects to finance those experiences.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our opinions. dont matter you gotta live with your decision

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread