Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: To sell or not to sell ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    May 2009
    Southern Ontario
    Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
    466 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    I had a lot of nice items from my first 20 yrs (started in 1975) that I would kill to have back and at
    the very least I wish I had pics of all my stuff from back then
    lot easier now with digital cameras to get and store pics
    I had not only some real nice jewelry finds - one of a kind sort of stuff and lot of nice coins and relics
    that I wish I had pics of / or still had them
    I've only ever sold my really good gold rings, a necklace and a silver ring. I was on the fence about selling them but they'd just sit in a display case so I decided to sell. Had my daughter take nice pics of them so I'd at least have that but some how they got deleted before they were downloaded.
    I was a little bummed but with the money it almost paid for our trip to Punta Cana so I'm not overly upset. I keep all the old coins and interesting finds though.

ca
    Semi-precious rock and gem collecter, classic book reader, horse lover, metal detecter gal.

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    Bounty Hunter Jr.
    391 times
    Metal Detecting
    This is my first year of detecting. So far I have found 4 silver rings, four silver coins (one is a really cool 1919 dime that I found at a tot lot) and a silver horse brooch. nothing I have is worth a whole lot... maybe 20 bucks in silver value and a bit more if I could sell my rings to people who'd use them. But I need a lot of upgrades... I have two family members who want to buy a ring. I'm like..... "I'm not sure if I wanna sell... I like them" I wouldnt really use them because I don't use much jewelry and two are men's rings... but just looking at them sparkle on my shelf makes me want to keep em! I never thought I'd find all that in my first year!!! One really cool men's ring is a hockey prize... it's really heavy 12g.!!! I'm thinking I could ask a guy I know to melt it down and make a few rings from it. I'd rather that then sell it. I could give some away as nice gifts. Also, maybe I will sell in the future... I think the first year of detecting every thing you find is worth millions in your newbie eyes lol!!!
    Truth1253 likes this.
    Always check rabbit holes when metal detecting... you never know, there might be karats down there.

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter w/Cors Fortune coil
    837 times
    Metal Detecting
    You guys are no help. LOL !
    I still have the ring , i'm going to save my gold and when i get a bunch saved up then ill sell.
    found four gold rings so far this year.

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1649 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Mvgirl, that hockey ring is worth a lot more than scrap value! You could easily get several times scrap value on E-bay as many would want to collect rings such as that.
    Scrap silver is so easy to obtain. Heck, I found half a dozen silver rings at the thrift stores last week for 25 cents to a dollar each.
    Just took in a big pile of scrap from this summer's detecting. Modern silver coins, broken or ugly jewelry, it doesn't take long to build up.
    My formula is to keep and display historic items and sell everything I consider "modern."
    If someone offered me $250 (U.S.) for the ring posted by the OP, I would sell it in a heartbeat!
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15043 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I'm in my second phase of detecting.

I was avid and adventurous in my first phase from 1983 through 1987. Never sold anything or even spent the clad. Then along came the painful divorce years - she'd met someone. I have only a little jar of odd finds she didn't want, nothing of value - Canadian large cents, couple of tokens, a few slick Buffalos.

She got the rest.

Returned to the hobby in 2013, building delights again. I guess my kids will get them.

Easy come, easy go (not really reflected by the pain)!

Do what ya gotta do lest the Reaper comes for you!
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    10027 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Take the wife on vacation or shopping spree.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    219 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Take it to get a rough appraisal. If it's less than $250 then sell it to the one who offered $250 even if you don't need the money as I doubt it's value will go up high very soon. Besides, you have no idea what the real value is yet as you might be sitting on a $500+ find and if so you better not sell it for cheap.

us
    JP

Jan 2013
    Bradford, NH
    AT PRO
    207 times
    I had to have my wedding ring cut off and enlarged -I took in 3 gold rings and asked if I could sell them and pay the 125$ ring fix.
    I got the bill paid and another 125$ to buy the Garrett Z link system.. I thought they treated me well// Perry

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    457 times
    The answer to your question depends on whether you want to keep the object or would rather have the dollars for some other purpose. I know that if I found any ladies jewelry, my wife would make the decision about selling/keeping. She likes shiny things. I show all my finds to my kids and grand-kids and, if they want anything, they can have it. Of course, that drives my daughters crazy because the kids want to keep everything that Papa finds. I just look at that as payback for all the crap they left at my house when they got married and moved out.

As for me, if an object has value to someone who is willing to part with their hard-earned to own it, I will be happy to make that transaction. As I get older, I find that I'm a lot pickier about what I want to own. Since I have plenty of stuff, I'd prefer experiences so I'm willing to sell found objects to finance those experiences.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    10027 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Our opinions. dont matter you gotta live with your decision
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links