Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone !
Do you sell your treasures ? You worked hard to find them , swatted lots of bugs , Drove all over the city, Dug 1000's of holes , pissed off the significant other , And then you find something worth a decent amount of moo la.
Do you sell it?
I found a nice gold ring with 7 diamonds in my scoop the other day.
gl01.jpg
Not my first gold ring , second this year. Found my first one last year. But its soooooo nice i'm torn between selling it and keeping it. I was made an offer three times melt value.
But its sooooo nice !
What to do ???

And to those who say "give it to the wife" , i'm single. Cat was not impressed.

Upvote 0

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try selling it as is first. If it didn't sell I'd sell it for the diamond and melt value and buy more toys.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd sell it and get a nice pin pointer. Or a nice pair of Raybans sunglasses. Or trade it for a gold coin or silver bullion. Or cases of Whisker Lickins....

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
my deal is when its gone its gone.but ive never found anything worth over a hundred dollars.what do you think thats worth?
cool find brad

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people never let go of anything they find. Some display their finds in their man caves or living rooms. I sell my great gold, platinum, and silver finds. I dig them out of the past, and put them back into circulation. Some finds have paid for single dinners at fine restaurants, one paid for a bottle of 25-year-old Macallan, and three bought my wife and I a trip to Bermuda.

Keeping stuff in your sock drawer ain't fun.:occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've found several rings, mostly wedding bands(no owners found) but I've kept them all. I guess when the day comes I need some cash I'll sell. I'll probably leave them to the grandkids. Or not.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my deal is when its gone its gone.but ive never found anything worth over a hundred dollars.what do you think thats worth?
cool find brad

Came out to $127 melt. 5 grams @ 14k. I know a place that gives approx 90% melt value , so around $100 bucks.
This lady i know said she'd give me $250.
Like you said "when its gone its gone".

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been dirt fishing for 4 years and only dug 5 gold rings. They look good in the display so I keep them. Lord knows I've never dug anything as sweet as yours. What a dilemma to have.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Display case is nice but so is cash.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never sold anything I’ve found, but if I had to I would. I love looking my at my hard work remember the feeling I had when I first saw it. I’m sentimental with things but that just me. If someone offered you 3x’s melt and you can use the cash.......SOLD. I’d probably sell my gold rings if I were a beach hunter, but finding gold on land is too far and in between. In 4 years I’m at 8 and I still look at them in disbelief that I found that. But I’m also the guy who doesn’t do ring returns, so to each their own.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it to the "significant other". That will get one monkey off your back! :laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, I've always kept everything. Always called it my retirement fund
tongue3.gif
(yeah right). A few times I've given pieces away to people that've done me good. Unless you need the $$ keep your goodies & use them as motivation! The fun part of keeping your finds or as the wife calls it hoarding is having stuff to show the young kids who are interested in detecting! When you see their eyes bug when you tell them they can find stuff like this too if you put in the work. If you don't need the $$ why sell it? Unless metals go through the roof. :laughing7:

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I keep are silver coins that have NO numismatic value. I keep them in a leather pouch and shake them them every now and then, makes me laugh. Everything else I sell. I do not need anymore stuff in my life, I welcome the interesting activity. For me the best part of finding is the first look. I have never regretted cutting loose of finds. A Pirate spends treasure on ale and wenches not 401k's

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never sold anything I’ve found, but if I had to I would. I love looking my at my hard work remember the feeling I had when I first saw it. I’m sentimental with things but that just me. If someone offered you 3x’s melt and you can use the cash.......SOLD. I’d probably sell my gold rings if I were a beach hunter, but finding gold on land is too far and in between. In 4 years I’m at 8 and I still look at them in disbelief that I found that. But I’m also the guy who doesn’t do ring returns, so to each their own.
Well said. This is exactly how I feel.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really pretty ring. I have a tub of damaged and broken gold. It will go for melt value when the price is right. The nice rings that I have found, are on the side. If I got an offer of $250,, for a ring like yours, I would sell it. The only gold I won't sell, is the first gold wedding band that I found in the 80's.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being single you are now armed to go out and find that special someone! (but I recommend that you sell it) Quit while you are ahead!!!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a simple way to answer to your question.

Do you NEED the money?

Yes: sell it
No: keep it

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
If you had $250 in your pocket and saw this ring would you buy it? Yes, keep it. No, sell it. If you don't need it, I'd use the money for something I do. Or it can sit there like a savings account to spend later....

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it depends on your financial situation and what your reasons are for MDing. I've found several things that are probably worth a few hundred dollars but I wouldn't sell anything unless i really needed the money. I'd rather have them to look at and to show others. If I sold a coin or whatever the money would get spent, the coin would be gone and there'd be nothing left to show for it and all the time and work it took to find it. But that's just my opinion.

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF I found such a ring, and IF someone offered me well over the metal value, and if my wife didn't want it (the first two are bigger ifs than the third; she's not into stuff), then there's no question I'd turn it into cash while the premium offer stood. I'd unhesitatingly put the money toward something I'd rather have, like a getaway with my wife!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread