Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well just like everything good in life everything must come to a end. It’s been verified in the rules of the park that metal detecting is not permitted. I had a great 4 year run and must move on.....plus they told me to get out.
I told the guy I’ve been detecting here for 10yrs and he said, ”Well I hope you had a good run” lol The End

With the heat and humidity this summer might be the perfect time to start water hunting. A friend I meet on TNet is a diving instructor and said he’d teach me the ropes. To my surprise he said the bad thing is once you water hunt these rivers you never go bad to land....we’ll see.

Thank you City Park for the wonderful memories and treasure.

Upvote 0

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You will find way fewer ticks in the water !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for cottonmouths in fresh water down there. I was in a boat with my uncle once, one followed us down the canal for quite a ways. They equate people with fish dinner.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always sad to lose an old friend but I know you have a lot of great memories.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old friends are silver.... new friends are gold --both are a pleasure to have and to hold....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
City parks is for people, when you start running folks out it is just a job for some city employees. It shouldn't matter we are hunting in the park, it keeps us out of harm way. Plus the city most likely aerates the park twice a year. I do understand the water lines around trees, and all it akes is one jerk who is too lazy to do some research. I also have caught people pulling plugs and taking pictures. So it may not have been a digger. But there is many places to hunt for sure. Just dont support the parks and make sure city council knows it when its election time.

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I just learned my local parks have the same rule: No metal detecting except in the tot lots. I had a nice chat with the city parks worker who rolled up to shoo me off. He explained that (1) there were apparently enough bad eggs who dug giant holes in the turf (frankly, I suspect I've seen some of them, and I don't like them either) and (2) that even a nicely closed plug often gets dug up again by a dog interested in the scent or wildlife looking for an easier place to dig up food. I asked about detecting in the loose leaf litter around trees, and he said sorry, what he's been told is no detecting, period, except in the tot lots.

Fortunately, I live in a beach town, albeit some distance away.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitledCC.png .... Before 2000 ..I was 90% land hunter - 10% water
now its 90% water - 10% land ...so your friend might be right
I used to hit farm fields and cellar holes - but during hot months - fields are planted and bugs and poison ivy are rampant
plus like you started losing permissions and places becoming off limits (mostly due to guys leaving holes and going into spots after hours)
so water was the way to go - plus gold finds are like 50 to 1
I like the older stuff and still have some spots I can get 100+ yr old stuff at including relics
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums.html

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a spot when I was a kid - old school but before that they had fairs there and there used to be indian heads all over the place - got thrown out
one day and they put up a sign - no detecting - said it was cause of the holes left by others (cause I told the guy Id give him a dollar for every spot
he could see I dug - I use a sharp knife and cut small perfect plugs and try and keep all the dirt in the hole ..he saw none)
- come to find out - wasnt detectorists at all
was couple of locals golfing there with 9 irons taking huge divots and not replacing - and when they did the grass just died

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission to hunt a large open field from the chief of police for that community. Turns out, there used to be a carnival held there every year and just found out that the University of Michigan football team practiced there from 1901 to 1910 which explains why I found a toasty Indian head penny. Now, here's the problem... a fellow detectorist from our rod and gun club also has permission, but every plug he digs (small, round plugs) seem to get removed by racoons at night. I've asked him to cut larger "U" shaped plugs that will be too big for the racoons to remove, but that ain't happening! Expect we will lose access soon because we will be blamed for leaving open holes!

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a shame it seems sometimes people just get jealous. I dig super neat plugs use a rag for extra dirt and do the best I can. Most of the time you can't tell I was even there. But the reality is that it's just grass, it will grow back. Some people just can't stand to see other's have fun.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission to hunt a large open field from the chief of police for that community. Turns out, there used to be a carnival held there every year and just found out that the University of Michigan football team practiced there from 1901 to 1910 which explains why I found a toasty Indian head penny. Now, here's the problem... a fellow detectorist from our rod and gun club also has permission, but every plug he digs (small, round plugs) seem to get removed by racoons at night. I've asked him to cut larger "U" shaped plugs that will be too big for the racoons to remove, but that ain't happening! Expect we will lose access soon because we will be blamed for leaving open holes!

Large U shapes solves it all.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a shame it seems sometimes people just get jealous. I dig super neat plugs use a rag for extra dirt and do the best I can. Most of the time you can't tell I was even there. But the reality is that it's just grass, it will grow back. Some people just can't stand to see other's have fun.

Well at this park and where it’s located it’s also a fact that the “people” view it as I’m plunging my lesche into Mother Earth’s back. I actually watch them cringe. Their more into tying a strap between two trees and walking across it and twirling holla hoops around there arms while doing some sort of “dance art” with multicolored hair which I found hilarious. Oh well as Dylan sang...Times are a charging.

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was confronted by a park ranger last week. Basically told me the same. I can detect but no digging in the grass.
Kinda pissed him off when i said "OK no problem" and moved into the park tot lot. But he left me alone.
Like you , i'v been dong this park or years. But im not to upset, all the easy pick'ins are gone . I also started more beach hunting. My detecting buddy reminded me that i live in a tourist town with a huge beach.
View attachment 1600097

That's the rules around me also, not allowed to dig.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the rules around here.

I was told last week by a cool old guy who’s a police that detectorist we’re getting complaints by “tree huggers” his words not mine. Same people who took down a confederate statute that stood in front of the park. It’s over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread