Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be interesting to anyone but I thought it may be fun to get y'all's thoughts and reactions. I have been at "serious" metal detecting for only about 3 months now and am already making a change from what I thought the hobby would mean for me. My initial thought was to find coins and, with any luck at all, jewelry. Well, I've found a few bucks worth of clad and my first wheat penny. I have to admit that it is fun to find things with inherent value but I find myself taking a different path.

I spent my working life in technical fields (engineering based) or teaching drafting and engineering. I was never fascinated by history but, in my old age, I am taking an interest in it. Since I live in the South (North Carolina), I am beginning to study very local history and, much to the surprise of many people who think they know me, have taken a particular interest in Rosenwald Schools that were built in the mid 1920's for the education of African American children. Most of the schools are no longer standing and many of them have been built over by other structures or have been absorbed by farms.

Because of this new interest, I find myself more interested in finding artifacts that could bring life to an interesting historic era than in coin shooting (not that I'll turn them down when I find them). I am beginning to contact various groups throughout the state that have an interest in the Rosenwald schools to offer them any artifacts that I find at the old school sites. Also, because I enjoy doing research, I have found the location of many of the schools in the counties surrounding my home town. I have built a database of the schools and am populating it with the current property owners (thank you, GIS). My next step is to start seeking permissions. With any luck at all, I'll have enough sites to keep me busy for years.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a plan. I was out digging a colonial house that stood by 1680. It's been long gone, a large tree nearby was the only thing that said "dig here".

I've never truly been able to concentrate on coins, so the artifacts keep me going. Each of our sites will tell a story. My site was in existence by 1660-1680, dated from large bore pipe stems, buttons and buckle styles. The house was gone by 1790. Due to the lack of iron, with the exception of the lady of the house's pieces of broken up kettle and absolute lack of nails, it was a frontier log cabin. Due to presence of Indian metal trade points, they traded with the local Indians. Their front door was a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. They didn't have much money but a prized possession was a piece of Westerwald blue and grey German pottery. And on it goes.

Pay careful attention to what you find. In my case the tree probably marks the family cemetery. Knowing your site's history and putting together the picture is half the fun.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that all treasure hunters end up part historian. The research can be exciting but confirming the accuracy of your research by hitting paydirt is what it's all about, regardless of what you are searching for. Keep at it and keep us informed.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started looking for relics and ended up a coin shooter, although I'm pretty equal opportunity for any good or interesting find.
luvsdux

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad is clad and jewelry is always fun...

But building upon something of interest...

can be priceless.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE ...

One of the tools I am using in my search for the historical Rosenwald schools is Maprika (thanks to a thread on this forum). I have been able to georeference several county soil maps from the 1920’s - 1930’s with pretty good accuracy.

I went out today to see if I could locate a couple of the schools listed near me in North Carolina and had great success. I found a site adjacent to a historical African-American church and had a chance to speak with one of the ministers of the congregation that meets there. He knew the school had existed and showed me the approximate location. My map showed me standing at the location of the school. The school has long been demolished and there are no clear landmarks suggesting where it was. The minister said he would be happy for me to survey the area and see what history I could retrieve.

I drove to another potential spot where my georeferencing was off by about 50’ (according to my position in relation to the road). Pulled up to a house, introduced myself, and had a nice chat with the home owner. When I told him what I was looking for, he said, “ Well, you’ve found it.” He was living in what had been a one teacher Rosenwald school. I told him that I respected his property and privacy but asked if I could search around his house for artifacts. He told me to come back in the fall when there were fewer ticks and snakes and I could search all I wanted. He asked if I had an extra detector. Looks like I may have a new detecting buddy.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours is not a rant at all -- it's a very common path. We dig for treasure, both intrinsic and historical. A coin can be both, and jewelry can as well. Silver and gold are thrilling to find, but so is a uniform button or bullet or thimble. If a person gets in the hobby for financial gain, they will tire of it long before they find enough to cover the expenses to get into it.
So here's to history, mates, we love her! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread