Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By digger460
  • 1 Post By CoinFetcher
  • 1 Post By EdHartzel

Thread: Equinox 600 settings.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2014
    washington
    At gold
    111 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Equinox 600 settings.

So I just got the 600 last week.having a bit of a time adjusting to it from the Garrett at model.just wondering what is a good setup in a typical park setting.as far as any adjustments other then defaults.what others have had some luck with.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Equinox 600 Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730 Lesche 18" and 30" shovel's 4 fried chickens and a coke. And some dry white toast.
    2785 times
    Give her more time danec! I came from the atpro, and of course I wanted to start messing with settings to get the full advantage from the EQ, but what I've found , as well as many other's, that the presets are pretty darn good out of the box.

Typical park, I use Park 1, Park 2, and sometime's Field 1 preset's. All with 5 tone, because I don't get out enough to learn 50 tone's. Being proficient with 50 tone's is probably going to be the key over changing settings. IMO

Same as all machine's, just got to put your hours in! Just wouldn't mess with the settings for a while.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

us
    Jul 2017
    Cary, NC
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    151 times
    Relic Hunting
    I am entering the hobby with the Equinox as my first "serious" detector in over 30 years and am in the same boat about messing with the settings on my EQ-600. I took everyone's advice about getting in the field and sweeping without changing the settings. I generally use the presets for my location (park, field, beach) and have found them to work well. I do switch between Modes 1 and 2 from time to time. I have my machine set for 50 tones just to get used to what different targets sound like. The only thing I change on a regular basis is the sensitivity if I am in an area with high interference.
    ---------------------
    I'd rather try and fail than die wondering.

---------------------
    You don't have to live on the edge,
    just move away from the center.

us
    Oct 2014
    washington
    At gold
    111 times
    My main problem is it seems like it's always picking up on something.it will get a hit or a choppy or high low type hit and as you keep sweeping over it the tone will change or go away.then if you keep trying it will show again then go away.keeping it balanced and using the noise cancel doesn't seem to help.even lowering sensitivity is the same.maybe this detector is just super sensitive.also can't seem to cancel out nails if possible.they will even give a pretty high reading so I will dig and find a nail.i know it's maybe best to dig everything but it seems like I'm getting some kind of signal on every swing.a broken signal with a high tone one way and a low the other or one that seems to come and go with every swing could be something good.but when it seems to make a noise with every swing it gets frustrating alittle.but I'm not giving up at all I will learn wasnjustnwondering about maybe something better then what I was doing.i am also just pretty much using presets and mainly adjusting sensitivity.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    1263 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    donít focus on what the machine sounds like over crappy targets. When you says it not repeatable and really jumpy - thatís a sign of junk target. Sure dig em if you like, and in some areas you should dig more Ďbadí Targets than others.

Maybe start by focusing on the tone of known good targets, like rings and coins. They are usually not very jumpy.

I have had a lot of good coins sound like nails, especially in the saltwater...
    Stringtyer likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    Cary, NC
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    151 times
    Relic Hunting
    @danec71 ... I have had the same experience of high tone when sweeping one way and low on the reverse. I tend to give those hits a few sweeps to see if they ever level out and, if not, I move on. As for nails ringing in at a what sounds like a good tone or with a desirable number, that depends on the nail. If it a plain nail, it should show and sound as iron. If, however, it is a coated nail (cadmium, galvanized, or other coating) it may ring out as something worth digging.

As an example, I chased what looked like a good signal (tone and number) about 6 - 7 inches under a root in my daughter's yard only to find an old cadmium plated siding nail. Live and learn.
    ---------------------
    I'd rather try and fail than die wondering.

---------------------
    You don't have to live on the edge,
    just move away from the center.

us
    Oct 2014
    washington
    At gold
    111 times
    You are probably right about the nails.it doesn't really hit on old square nails but it does on just the kind of nails you described

us
    Jun 2018
    Bucks County PA
    Mine lab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    As frustrating as it may be- time on the machine is the answer. I was in your boat 6 weeks ago. Factory presets in my area were chirping at cell phones and WiFi and who knows what else. I decided to turn my sensitivity down a few notches after performing the necessary noise cancelation- and learn the signals shallow obvious targets give before taking on the more advanced higher levels of sensitivity. 10 operating hours, 12 clad coins, and 20 pull tabs later, I gradually increased the sensitivity and can listen to everything in the ground.
    danec71 likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    washington
    At gold
    111 times
    One of the hardest things for me to learn at this moment is I get a lot of quick hi tones with nothing the other way and then those tones will disappear and be kind of choppy and then they'll come back. And if you swing the opposite way there won't be anything. But it seems to have a Lotta Quick high tones than nothing. The lower broken tones are obviously no good It just seems like you get a lot of false signals. So I don't know if I should be digging those at all. The obvious ones are clear and I try to concentrate on that but I don't want to miss anything good . I know sometimes a good target can have a broken signal. But if I'm not wrong you should at least get a constant or at least some kind a solid signal that tells you there's something there. It seem like my garrett at was a little more stable but maybe this equinox is just really sensitive

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links