Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

How does it compare to the Tejón?
[/quote]

Do you mean the Sovereign GT or Silver uMax with 12x10 coil?

The Sovereign GT outguns the Tejon all the way. I'd say it's easily 4 inches deeper on copper pennies. The Sovereign GT finds a lot more if used properly.

But some people are beep-n-dig hunters and they would like the Tejon better even though it doesn't have the capabilities of the GT.

The Tejon is a great machine and will find 90% of what is to be found at most sites. And, it's a whole lot faster machine. If I couldn't get a GT I'd still be using the Tejon. It's a super great detector.

The Silver uMax is a basic machine lacking an adjustable ground balance so it won't match a Tejon at every site. But, at mild soil sites fitted with the 12x10 inch concentric coil it will find a lot more than the Tejon. Move into bad soil and the game may turn around fast. But the Silver uMax is the beep-n-dig hunters dream come true.

Badger

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Michigan Badger said:

The Sovereign GT outguns the Tejon all the way. I'd say it's easily 4 inches deeper on copper pennies. The Sovereign GT finds a lot more if used properly.

But some people are beep-n-dig hunters and they would like the Tejon better even though it doesn't have the capabilities of the GT.

The Tejon is a great machine and will find 90% of what is to be found at most sites. And, it's a whole lot faster machine. If I couldn't get a GT I'd still be using the Tejon. It's a super great detector.

The Silver uMax is a basic machine lacking an adjustable ground balance so it won't match a Tejon at every site. But, at mild soil sites fitted with the 12x10 inch concentric coil it will find a lot more than the Tejon. Move into bad soil and the game may turn around fast. But the Silver uMax is the beep-n-dig hunters dream come true.

Badger
[/quote]

Thanks Badger
I was thinking about getting the Sovereign GT or the Tejon? But now I think I should get the Sovereign GT.

Its hard so many choices

Geckokid

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
geckokid said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

Thanks Badger
I was thinking about getting the Sovereign GT or the Tejon? But now I think I should get the Sovereign GT.

Its hard so many choices

Geckokid
[/quote]

Oh yes, the GT has it all over the Tejon. You have multi-tone target ID (and it works great); true automatic ground balance; mult-frequency signal; notch that works perfectly, and the depth is far superior.

If you ever decide to buy a backhoe, order the 15 inch WOT coil for it. ;D

You'll love the GT. Just practice pinpointing with that DD coil and once you get that down you've got it made. Run her in AUTO sensitivity in discrimination mode but with the discrimination knob set to zero (full counterclockwise). At this setting most iron trash is rejected. Set her on IRON MASK and PINPOINT and you'll get the deep loot.

Badger

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
I have the ace 250 now. But I want to upgrade to the Minelab Sov.

(Is the Excalibur the same except for being water proof?) ???

I usually dig all repeatable signals with it. I don't look at the meter at all. I go by what I hear (tone). You never know what you will dig up... I guess you can call me sort of a beep-n-dig hunter. ::)

Depending where I'm at I sometimes do dig Iron too. I have found some really kewl looking pieces of Iron.

Thanks Badger!! ;)

Geckokid

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
geckokid said:
I have the ace 250 now. But I want to upgrade to the Minelab Sov.

(Is the Excalibur the same except for being water proof?) ???

I usually dig all repeatable signals with it. I don't look at the meter at all. I go by what I hear (tone). You never know what you will dig up... I guess you can call me sort of a beep-n-dig hunter. ::)

Depending where I'm at I sometimes do dig Iron too. I have found some really kewl looking pieces of Iron.

Thanks Badger!! ;)

Geckokid

Many love the Excalibur. But personally I think the GT is a much better detector for land hunting.

I know everybody says the Excal and Sovereign are basically the same detector but I didn't see that with my Excal and GT. I was not impressed with the depth of my Excalibur. The Sovereign GT is super.

When it comes to hunting iron I'd go more with a Tesoro detectors. Tesoros love iron and they're excellent at finding the big iron objects.

But, while the GT in all-metal mode will go deeper for iron than a Tesoro, the signals aren't as clear as with a Tesoro machine (for iron).

When it comes to iron you really can't beat a Tesoro. When it comes to copper, silver, or gold, the Minelab GT is the better machine (in my opinion).

HH,

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread