"I'll Give You 25%"

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped by and seen an old friend at his antique shop. When I mentioned metal detecting his eyes lit up. He pointed to an old house next to his shop. He bought it to use as storage. He said an old lady lived there who never used banks and stashed money in walls and buried it in the yard. I thought yeah, right. I've heard stories like that before. Looking at the house, she looked dirt poor to me. Anyway, he said to come and detect it and if I found buried money I could keep 25%. What? Only 25% and not 50/50? I almost felt insulted. Then I thought maybe I'm too greedy. After he said "25%", I didn't say yes or no. Hey, this kind of stuff could end a 45 yr. friendship! So, would you do it for 25% of any buried money?

What about any loose coins I find? I thought Charlie in NY had a good idea. Offer him any personal items and jewelry and keep any coins. Gary

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he is the greedy one. 50-50 or nothing. Tell him to buy his own machine, learn it, find it, and then he can have all of it.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
NOPE ! I agree with others . 50-50 . You are supplying the detector , tools, knowledge, labor, & you will probably find 40 cents that you can split in half with him !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My life's evolution tells me that when there's a chance for negativity and anger - walk away. You'd lose a friend - but then is he really a friend given the offer he made you?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with 25% if I found a cache, (I get 1st pick though) but all single coin finds and other items are mine.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a second detector, let him use it. What he finds with your detector is 25 percent his. What you find with your detector is 50 percent his. see how he likes it.....

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friendship = I'll help you out for nothing = "Hey, let's go play in your yard!"
Business = I get paid for my skills, knowledge, experience, time, and equipment = The clock ticks at an hourly rate, day rates available.
Friendship + Business = Run away, run away!

Long business relationships can lead to friendships - many of my friends are also business associates and partners. But it doesn't seem to work in the other direction, long friendship to a business arrangement. Old friends are hard to come by, so I'd opt out of endangering it over a horde, cache, or 76 cents and a rusty door hinge.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friendship = I'll help you out for nothing = "Hey, let's go play in your yard!"
Business = I get paid for my skills, knowledge, experience, time, and equipment = The clock ticks at an hourly rate, day rates available.
Friendship + Business = Run away, run away!

Long business relationships can lead to friendships - many of my friends are also business associates and partners. But it doesn't seem to work in the other direction, long friendship to a business arrangement. Old friends are hard to come by, so I'd opt out of endangering it over a horde, cache, or 76 cents and a rusty door hinge.

Excellent analysis and conclusion!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it must just be me, but, If he truly was my friend and didn't want to help locate the caches, I would do it for the 25% (and first pick) and be happy with that. As mentioned, individual coins and relics would be mine, but, I would offer many of them to my friend if I didn't need them for my collections. Hey, 25% of something is better than 50% of nothing! :icon_thumright: Nothing to lose a friendship over.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I never charge friends for anything. I'd be thrilled to find something on a friends property! Do those who find class rings and return them to strangers get anything other than a good warm feeling?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where some of you are coming from when you say you'd be happy with 25% of a cache. I think we all would. I just don't like the fact that he threw that number (or any number) out there to begin with. A true friend would never have mentioned percentages and a
50-50 split would already be a given. At least that's the way it would work with one of my "true" long time friends. Granted I can count them on one hand but, the fact remains.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
don,t we hunt clad for hours for free,i would jump at a chance to find some cool.
brad

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stories are legion
25% and $50 minimum

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it looks like you guys are about half and half on this one. Good posts all the way around. I'm still not sure what to do. If I dig it this fall, I'll be sure and post the results. Thanks for your opinions. Gary

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line,his property his choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread