Upvote 0

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just curious, when you say you hear every strike through your detector, are you out hunting in our crazy Florida storms? I have never heard lightning through any of my detectors, but since I mostly hunt on the beach, I head home when storms start brewing so that I don't get electrocuted. It's an interesting question though, because we unplug the tvs and computers when bad storms roll in due to the power poles getting struck periodically and we had every sensor in our security system on one side of the house fried years ago when lightning struck the neighbor's roof and they said that it was caused by the static in the air and not a spike in the power lines at the time. I would think the lightning would have to be pretty close to do something like that though.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard any crackles in any of my machines ever during a lightning storm. However, I do not go out to play in storms.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI gold detectors have very high receiver sensitivity and are notorious for being affected by EMI. Minelab GPX machines can be upset by lightning 100 miles away (or so).

Normal, annoying, but not harmful to the equipment.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.

But heed this warning... If you hear thunder...NOT see lightning... just hear thunder off in distance... in Florida... get off the beach.

OP
OP
dc.gronlund

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am really new to Florida, haha. I didn't realize how often or quick these storms creep up. The lightning was quite far away, but when the lightning struck I got a strong low-high tone. Just like a target. I was quite far down the beach so getting back took a good hour or so, haha. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be a by lasting affects. Thanks.

OP
OP
dc.gronlund

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes.

But heed this warning... If you hear thunder...NOT see lightning... just hear thunder off in distance... in Florida... get off the beach.

What does this mean? Back home this was just heat induced thunder and not a big deal, I'm new here...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was driving near Orlando a few years ago. A T-storm blew up quickly. Lighting hit a telephone pole about 75' in front of the car and it exploded in a ball of blue white fire.

Florida lighting is not forgiving. If they are calling for storms a day you are out, take your cell phone and look at weather.gov for updates. Anything within 15 miles requires an evacuation immediately, at least back to the car until you can tell which way they are coming from. We use that website here in Maryland to see the storms before they get close. We do not let them get close. Two weekends ago, 20 minutes after we got in the car all hades broke loose in a storm. We were aware and watching the internet from our phones. Getting caught out on a beach with metal in your possession in one of those storms may very well be the last thing you do.

Be careful.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does this mean? Back home this was just heat induced thunder and not a big deal, I'm new here...

This means... IN Florida... you are taking a serious risk metal detecting IF YOU HEAR OR SEE anything from the sky.

heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida IS... THE lightning strike capitol... of the entire U.S.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing in the wide open with a wire running to the top of your head (headphones) and an electrical / metal wired pole in your hand in Florida...

Would make you a walking lightning rod.

In Florida the "rule" is... IF you hear thunder... take cover.

OP
OP
dc.gronlund

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm gonna have to start watching the weather app. I've been caught twice on on the beach.

AARC, I thought you were talking about just thunder, like the kind without lightning, haha. I definitely head back when the thunder rolls...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
With 12 Titanium screws in my back and hip, Damn if I'm standing there to find out. why it could be happening. Good luck to you.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All thunder is heat induced. Lightning heats up the air surrounding the bolt to thousands of degrees & the instant heating of the air creates a massive expansion of the air causing a thunder clap.
That said, all thunder is the result of lightning bolts. If you cannot see the bolts you are probably experiencing cloud to cloud lightning strikes.

My experience w PI machines is nil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thunder storms 10+ miles off shore can still produce lighting strikes on shore and have done so many times. A boy in 2015 was hit by lighting at Daytona Shores in the water and the nearest storms were over 10 miles off shore. Florida is the lighting capital of America, we get huge thunder storms as the onshore winds from both coasts collide in the center of the state.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hunted in thunderstorms and pick up every near by strike - had some hit right near me and have never gotten any damage to
myself or machine - though ive been under water each time and use scoop with rubber grip and wear rubberized gloves :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dc.gronlund

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to be clear to all those concerned, I am not hunting during lightning storms. I am new to florid and got caught in a storm. Thanks for all the information though. I also finally found something online that basically says the unit will be fine unless it was actually struck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread