Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: MD test targets

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
    31 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AurumHunter024 View Post

Can anybody tell me why chrome plated steel pegs (a hair clip) the meter around 34-36 (EQ800)?

Im seeing why yall tell noobs to dig everything. Some of these readings seem a bit anomalous.
    I've found that most Chrome items hit the mid 30's. I was searching by an old garage foundation and everything chrome that fell off of their cars over the years hit in that range (door handles, etc).
    AurumHunter024 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    5306 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I like to make test "strips" from Laminating machine plastic. Silver dime, wheat cent, etc. Most importantly, make trash strips too! You can bury the strip at exactly the depth you want then simply pull it out by grabbing the strip and out it comes. Re-useable too. ╦╦
    Hard times don't create heroes. But heroes are revealed in the hard times.

us
    May 2018
    CO, 4 corners
    ML Equinox 800
    51 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Similarly, I put each coin target in a food saver strip.
    My tiny gold nuggets go into tiny plastic baggies.
    TerryC likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    225 times
    Relic Hunting
    I agree 100% with other posts about just getting out there digging all targets and take mental or written notes. Especially on the junk finds. I have a box full of junk and good targets that i use on the surface just to keep my ears trained on what I am hearing. You will have to learn that a coin or civil war bullet near an iron object will sound and ring up different on the VDI than just the coin or bullet alone. But with time you will learn the 800's considerable abilities to find good targets among junk targets. Be prepared for a long learning curve being a newbie with a hot detector. There are a lot of factors to success in this hobby. Hours spent, luck, research and site location. Park volley ball courts and playgrounds are a good place to start using the stock settings like park1 or park2. One of the attractions of this hobby for many is learning a good machine and how to use it. If this hobby was slam dunk easy, then all the good targets would be gone a long time ago. It is a little like golf but much with mud, dirt, bugs, snakes, heat and cold. You are competing with yourself as much as competing with others.

good luck, this hobby can be very discouraging or very rewarding and addictive depending on how you approach it. Beware of youtube videos, you will not have the find rate that they have due to their editing out of trips that are not productive which people do not want to watch.

Also with the 800 on your first trips to trashy parks or fields you will hear so many tones and see so many VDI readings you will think your detector is going bonkers. It takes experience on learning how to set up the 800 for each hunting situation. But when you do learn this you have an excellent machine to use in your hunts. 9 times out of 10 it is not the Equinox but your settings and ground conditions.

Have fun and don't give up.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    5306 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulltabfelix View Post
    I agree 100% with other posts about just getting out there digging all targets and take mental or written notes. Especially on the junk finds. I have a box full of junk and good targets that i use on the surface just to keep my ears trained on what I am hearing. You will have to learn that a coin or civil war bullet near an iron object will sound and ring up different on the VDI than just the coin or bullet alone. But with time you will learn the 800's considerable abilities to find good targets among junk targets. Be prepared for a long learning curve being a newbie with a hot detector. There are a lot of factors to success in this hobby. Hours spent, luck, research and site location. Park volley ball courts and playgrounds are a good place to start using the stock settings like park1 or park2. One of the attractions of this hobby for many is learning a good machine and how to use it. If this hobby was slam dunk easy, then all the good targets would be gone a long time ago. It is a little like golf but much with mud, dirt, bugs, snakes, heat and cold. You are competing with yourself as much as competing with others.

good luck, this hobby can be very discouraging or very rewarding and addictive depending on how you approach it. Beware of youtube videos, you will not have the find rate that they have due to their editing out of trips that are not productive which people do not want to watch.

Also with the 800 on your first trips to trashy parks or fields you will hear so many tones and see so many VDI readings you will think your detector is going bonkers. It takes experience on learning how to set up the 800 for each hunting situation. But when you do learn this you have an excellent machine to use in your hunts. 9 times out of 10 it is not the Equinox but your settings and ground conditions.

Have fun and don't give up.
    I found $4.28 in between the back door and the usual spot to park the car. I had to dig in "phases" as not to turn that area into mud after a rain. It was only 50 feet long! I like to hunt very old parks. LOTS of trash but if you will clear those good spots out, you WILL find the old stuff under the trash. Just think of every piece of trash as one step closer to the goodies! ╦╦
    Hard times don't create heroes. But heroes are revealed in the hard times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links