Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Turned Down For Permissions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Lancaster County, PA
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Carrot
    632 times
    Metal Detecting

Turned Down For Permissions

After all these years, I've finally started asking for private home permissions recently. A few weeks back I got an ok to set up a time for a really great place, but they stopped communication with me so I didn't push it. I got 3 no's and 2 no one home all in the same day. I typically present myself very well, and try to let them understand that I've been in the hobby for many years and that no lawn damage would occur. I often offer a demonstration on how I would cut a hole and replace it. Even after that, the one gentleman declined my demonstration and said, "The house is so old and there are so many things in the yard, there will be holes all over the place". I go in with the assumption that "digging" would be the main consern of a property owner, therefore offering a demonstration. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for asking such a question, and I've been given a stern "no". I guess I have to get over the feeling of "feeling like a jerk for asking". It's only certain days that I can bring myself to knock on doors also. And those are the days that I can cover up feeling awkward doing so. Does everyone take a flat out "no" and just say thank you and walk away, or is there anymore convincing talk afterwards? I have scored a few permissions so far, but it seems that there are more no's than yes's. This is typical?

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    21918 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    After all these years, I've finally started asking for private home permissions recently. A few weeks back I got an ok to set up a time for a really great place, but they stopped communication with me so I didn't push it. I got 3 no's and 2 no one home all in the same day. I typically present myself very well, and try to let them understand that I've been in the hobby for many years and that no lawn damage would occur. I often offer a demonstration on how I would cut a hole and replace it. Even after that, the one gentleman declined my demonstration and said, "The house is so old and there are so many things in the yard, there will be holes all over the place". I go in with the assumption that "digging" would be the main consern of a property owner, therefore offering a demonstration. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for asking such a question, and I've been given a stern "no". I guess I have to get over the feeling of "feeling like a jerk for asking". It's only certain days that I can bring myself to knock on doors also. And those are the days that I can cover up feeling awkward doing so. Does everyone take a flat out "no" and just say thank you and walk away, or is there anymore convincing talk afterwards? I have scored a few permissions so far, but it seems that there are more no's than yes's. This is typical?
    I still to this day canít bring myself to knock on a door. Itís a bad handicap for me. I dread rejection and the feeling I get from it. I commend you for at least trying.

us
    Jun 2012
    New Mexico
    Minelab Etrac
    4056 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've been door knocking over two yrs now and so far I've been getting yes more than no . My best finds were from premissions. I ride around old neighbor hoods and door knock or if I see someone out side I'll stop by and talk to them

us
    Mar 2012
    Lancaster County, PA
    632 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jimzz977 View Post
    I've been door knocking over two yrs now and so far I've been getting yes more than no . My best finds were from premissions. I ride around old neighbor hoods and door knock or if I see someone out side I'll stop by and talk to them
    It may take a bit to feel more comfortable with it, but I'm going to push on until it becomes 2nd nature. I have such a passion to hunt these old homes so in a way, thats more powerful than anything. I might set a goal to knock until I get a permission that day. I live in an area where the old homes are a dime a dozen.
    Rick K likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    2102 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Every ‘no’ is one step closer to a YES.

Smile, thank em, and move on!
    Jesse James and Phishfarmer like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Lancaster County, PA
    632 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinFetcher View Post
    Every Ďnoí is one step closer to a YES.

Smile, thank em, and move on!
    Very true...

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16947 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    If the yard is meticulously kept I do not even ask. I look for the older properties that are barely kept up.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2924 times
    You're not alone Jesse. I've never been able to do a door knock (or cold call) type of thing. A young friend of mine does it often, and I have gone with him a few times, but just cannot get past that awkward feeling, we did have some yes answers, but just felt like I was being "watched". I don't know, I'm sure it's just me. On my own?, just can't do it. Have always been my happiest somewhere out there detecting alone. It is a tough one, guess at this point and time in life (65), I'm just kind of set in my ways. Neither good or bad, just is. But keep with it Jess, still lots of good stuff out there, and most likely out in those yards.

us
    Dec 2010
    62 times
    Don't sweat "no", its not personal, they just don't want someone around for whatever reason. Be polite, thank them for the time, and move on to the next one.

I have asked for permissions for hunting, everyone has their own comfort levels and ways, but when cold calling, I like to let people know who I am quickly. Something like, "Hi, my name is Jim, I've lived over on XX Road for 7 years (they know you are a local) and I like to metal detect. How is your day going?"

To me (I could be wrong) they know who you are, that your not some door to door salesman, an idea of why you are there, and you've been polite in asking about them.

Everyone likes to talk about themselves, its human nature, so from there, I'd ask them how long they've lived there, if they know the history of the place, etc. At some point in a conversation I'd ask about permission, but it wouldn't be first thing. They may make it that way, but its not the way I would go.

You could at some point tell them about some spots you've hunted, any good references if you have them. You might have a paper printed up with your name and phone #, so if you get permission, you give that to them to keep in touch? I dunno.

Just my two cents, good luck, keep at it!

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    13999 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Minimize your conversations...
    I tell homeowners that my hobby is to find old wheat pennies and Buffalo Nickels, and I’ll offer to give anything like keys or locks, or anything related to the history of the home, and leave it at that.
    I don’t tell them of the potential for treasure, old silvers, or jewelry....
    if I get a no, I’m cool with it, give them my card if they change their mind, or lose something.
    If I get a yes, I pretty much stop he conversation with a thank you, and get to work.
    Regardiing recovery efforts....don’t tell if they don’t ask. If they do, I’ll use the probe to demonstrate, the Lesche comes out after they retreat to their air conditioned comfort.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    831 times
    This is a very interesting thread. I'm relatively new to metal detecting (2-3 months) and am still learning about the hobby and my machine. As I have said before, I'm doing research into the Rosenwald schools in the south and have located several sites, two with standing schools and one where the school was.

I'm 66 years old and have spent my career in talking with people and, in some cases, convincing them to see my point (state and federal regulators, and high school students). Even with this background, I have a hard time just knocking on someone's door to ask permission. I always feel that I am invading their privacy and imposing on their personal time.

I've come to the point that I can take rejection so, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll ask a property owner if I can search the site where the school is/was. So far, I've gotten no rejections for the school research. I think it helps to have a good backstory to why I want to research the property other than just looking for old coins. I always tell property owners that I'm interested in extracting history from the earth so it can be enjoyed by other history buffs. Still, I have a hard time making that first step onto the porch to ask permission.

@BigWaveDave, I like the idea of a card in case a rejection turns into a permission. I think that shows that there is no deception in what I am doing.
    ---------------------
    To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.
    Therefore, remember your creator in the days of your youth.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    24557 times
    I was in industrial sales for many years and over that time got many No's making cold calls. In My business if you didn't sale you didn't eat. I got use to the No's in a few years. I have even ask the owner to let me show him how the detector works throwing a relic on the ground. But never,never tell them you're looking for money. It's kinda like telling him or her you're taking money out of their pocket. I have taken 2 machines and ask them to go with me. Or if they have kids, offer to take them. Hang in there.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    16943 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    man sorry about that
    Hoping to join the Marines one day

'Give me liberty or death'. Patrick Henry

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter Prospector Fisher CZ6A
    1542 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm still to scared to ask permission , but i have LOTS of other places i still need to hit that are open.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    20174 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I live in the boonies. Almost. Almost every time I ask the answer is yes, but what we are looking for are places there used to be houses but aren't any more, and in fields primarily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links