Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After all these years, I've finally started asking for private home permissions recently. A few weeks back I got an ok to set up a time for a really great place, but they stopped communication with me so I didn't push it. I got 3 no's and 2 no one home all in the same day. I typically present myself very well, and try to let them understand that I've been in the hobby for many years and that no lawn damage would occur. I often offer a demonstration on how I would cut a hole and replace it. Even after that, the one gentleman declined my demonstration and said, "The house is so old and there are so many things in the yard, there will be holes all over the place". I go in with the assumption that "digging" would be the main consern of a property owner, therefore offering a demonstration. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for asking such a question, and I've been given a stern "no". I guess I have to get over the feeling of "feeling like a jerk for asking". It's only certain days that I can bring myself to knock on doors also. And those are the days that I can cover up feeling awkward doing so. Does everyone take a flat out "no" and just say thank you and walk away, or is there anymore convincing talk afterwards? I have scored a few permissions so far, but it seems that there are more no's than yes's. This is typical?

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After all these years, I've finally started asking for private home permissions recently. A few weeks back I got an ok to set up a time for a really great place, but they stopped communication with me so I didn't push it. I got 3 no's and 2 no one home all in the same day. I typically present myself very well, and try to let them understand that I've been in the hobby for many years and that no lawn damage would occur. I often offer a demonstration on how I would cut a hole and replace it. Even after that, the one gentleman declined my demonstration and said, "The house is so old and there are so many things in the yard, there will be holes all over the place". I go in with the assumption that "digging" would be the main consern of a property owner, therefore offering a demonstration. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for asking such a question, and I've been given a stern "no". I guess I have to get over the feeling of "feeling like a jerk for asking". It's only certain days that I can bring myself to knock on doors also. And those are the days that I can cover up feeling awkward doing so. Does everyone take a flat out "no" and just say thank you and walk away, or is there anymore convincing talk afterwards? I have scored a few permissions so far, but it seems that there are more no's than yes's. This is typical?

I still to this day can’t bring myself to knock on a door. It’s a bad handicap for me. I dread rejection and the feeling I get from it. I commend you for at least trying.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been door knocking over two yrs now and so far I've been getting yes more than no . My best finds were from premissions. I ride around old neighbor hoods and door knock or if I see someone out side I'll stop by and talk to them

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been door knocking over two yrs now and so far I've been getting yes more than no . My best finds were from premissions. I ride around old neighbor hoods and door knock or if I see someone out side I'll stop by and talk to them
It may take a bit to feel more comfortable with it, but I'm going to push on until it becomes 2nd nature. I have such a passion to hunt these old homes so in a way, thats more powerful than anything. I might set a goal to knock until I get a permission that day. I live in an area where the old homes are a dime a dozen.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every ‘no’ is one step closer to a YES.

Smile, thank em, and move on!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the yard is meticulously kept I do not even ask. I look for the older properties that are barely kept up.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not alone Jesse. I've never been able to do a door knock (or cold call) type of thing. A young friend of mine does it often, and I have gone with him a few times, but just cannot get past that awkward feeling, we did have some yes answers, but just felt like I was being "watched". I don't know, I'm sure it's just me. On my own?, just can't do it. Have always been my happiest somewhere out there detecting alone. It is a tough one, guess at this point and time in life (65), I'm just kind of set in my ways. Neither good or bad, just is. But keep with it Jess, still lots of good stuff out there, and most likely out in those yards.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
Don't sweat "no", its not personal, they just don't want someone around for whatever reason. Be polite, thank them for the time, and move on to the next one.

I have asked for permissions for hunting, everyone has their own comfort levels and ways, but when cold calling, I like to let people know who I am quickly. Something like, "Hi, my name is Jim, I've lived over on XX Road for 7 years (they know you are a local) and I like to metal detect. How is your day going?"

To me (I could be wrong) they know who you are, that your not some door to door salesman, an idea of why you are there, and you've been polite in asking about them.

Everyone likes to talk about themselves, its human nature, so from there, I'd ask them how long they've lived there, if they know the history of the place, etc. At some point in a conversation I'd ask about permission, but it wouldn't be first thing. They may make it that way, but its not the way I would go.

You could at some point tell them about some spots you've hunted, any good references if you have them. You might have a paper printed up with your name and phone #, so if you get permission, you give that to them to keep in touch? I dunno.

Just my two cents, good luck, keep at it!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minimize your conversations...
I tell homeowners that my hobby is to find old wheat pennies and Buffalo Nickels, and I’ll offer to give anything like keys or locks, or anything related to the history of the home, and leave it at that.
I don’t tell them of the potential for treasure, old silvers, or jewelry....
if I get a no, I’m cool with it, give them my card if they change their mind, or lose something.
If I get a yes, I pretty much stop he conversation with a thank you, and get to work.
Regardiing recovery efforts....don’t tell if they don’t ask. If they do, I’ll use the probe to demonstrate, the Lesche comes out after they retreat to their air conditioned comfort.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very interesting thread. I'm relatively new to metal detecting (2-3 months) and am still learning about the hobby and my machine. As I have said before, I'm doing research into the Rosenwald schools in the south and have located several sites, two with standing schools and one where the school was.

I'm 66 years old and have spent my career in talking with people and, in some cases, convincing them to see my point (state and federal regulators, and high school students). Even with this background, I have a hard time just knocking on someone's door to ask permission. I always feel that I am invading their privacy and imposing on their personal time.

I've come to the point that I can take rejection so, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll ask a property owner if I can search the site where the school is/was. So far, I've gotten no rejections for the school research. I think it helps to have a good backstory to why I want to research the property other than just looking for old coins. I always tell property owners that I'm interested in extracting history from the earth so it can be enjoyed by other history buffs. Still, I have a hard time making that first step onto the porch to ask permission.

@BigWaveDave, I like the idea of a card in case a rejection turns into a permission. I think that shows that there is no deception in what I am doing.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was in industrial sales for many years and over that time got many No's making cold calls. In My business if you didn't sale you didn't eat. I got use to the No's in a few years. I have even ask the owner to let me show him how the detector works throwing a relic on the ground. But never,never tell them you're looking for money. It's kinda like telling him or her you're taking money out of their pocket. I have taken 2 machines and ask them to go with me. Or if they have kids, offer to take them. Hang in there.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
man sorry about that

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still to scared to ask permission , but i have LOTS of other places i still need to hit that are open.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the boonies. Almost. Almost every time I ask the answer is yes, but what we are looking for are places there used to be houses but aren't any more, and in fields primarily.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you don't ask, you won't get. I've even mowed their yard.

sugarcreek

Mar 28, 2016
S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meticulously maintained yards, and fences/gates are signs of likely "nos". Stay positive. KNOW they will say yes. DO NOT over explain about digging. Be discrete as possible when digging. I get more yes than no, for sure....

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes some courage to door knock so you're doing great by even trying. I pretty much keep it as short as possible when asking. "Hi my name is X, I metal detect for a hobby and was wondering if you'd allow me to search your yard?" I might throw in a compliment of their old home or any extra info i might know about the property. Then I'd go from there if they have any concerns or hesitation, or if it's a flat out no I say thanks anyway, and if they say yes I say thank you that's very nice of you and get the search on.

The rejections can suck at times, but there are some really nice people out there that make it worth it. I'm kind of the same way though where it's not everyday I'm in the mood to knock on people's doors. Part of that is just time too, if I have less than 2 hours to go hunt I'd rather just go somewhere quickly rather than spend time finding a yard. One thing that has helped me at times is going in with the mindset of I may meet a great person, rather than just focusing on the yes or no answer they may give.
Good luck to you!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an excellent thread and I appreciate everyone's perspectives/experiences. I take a bit of a different approach in that I don't knock on doors. Instead, I get to know people and where they live and I talk about what I know of the area and how I enjoy history. Once I bring up metal detecting, I almost always get positive interest. I will say the interest is much more with men than women. I focus on small relics like skeleton keys, buttons, and thimbles I've found, and ask if they'd mind me checking their property. As with others, I also offer to show how I dig minimizes any appearance it's been done. As also mentioned, I offer to let them join me by offering use of my backup detector. At this point, I've found a lot of positive interest many times. It's double prizes: I get a permission and introduce someone new to the hobby.

If they hunt with you, and it's a positive experience, give them a few cards because they will likely tell others about the experience and will then have your card to hand out.

It's never easy, and I have had plenty of rejection, but in this approach, the rejection is generally like "I don't know about that..." rather than a stranger closing a door.

See if this works for you. I hope others will add more ideas to this thread -- we can learn a lot from each other!

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the guts is half the battle. I’d never try to convince a property owner, if they say noI’m done. I’ve heard some guys on Podcasts say they have business cards made up, I think that’s a pretty good idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread