waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I finally got my DD coil (6x10) yesterday for my DFX. USPS priority mail took 7 days to travel 180 miles :-[

Anyway I took it out for a test spin and was really impressed with it's ability to distinguish between good targets and trash in close quarters. It also worked quite well on a local beach. It was a short hunting day but I still pulled 64 coins; several in locations I had hunted before, but that were around structures I couldn't get close to with the stock coil. I'm looking forward to giving it a strenuous workout in the next few days.

My question is about pinpointing. I've always used the stock coil so pinpointing was pretty straight forward as I focused on the center hole of the coil. Since the DD coil is "solid" I seem to be a bit off in my target location. I think a lot of it is just going to be getting my eyes "adjusted" to finding a spot after I move the coil away.

Is it correct that I should dig directly under the center of the coil once I've done the pinpointing to determine depth, etc.???

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
After you pull the pinpoint trigger, sweep the coil left and right the find the center
<-- x --> then slide the coil back toward you. When the coil goes silent the target will be at the tip of the coil. Rob

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had to try this one before I responded since there was still about 10 minutes of daylight left.

Seems to work just fine. For my coin it stops just above the Whites logo about 1" short of the tip of the coil. It sure is easier than trying to find the center and keep my eye on that spot while I move the coil to the side.

thanks again for the tip

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
On my T2 I use a +, left- right, then move 90 degrees and left right again it's within 2 inches of the center of the +(I could never get he hang of the X getting closer than 4 inches...must be bad eyesight or something :D)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eagle77 said:
On my T2 I use a +, left- right, then move 90 degrees and left right again it's within 2 inches of the center of the +

I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN !!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is move completly off the target.
switch to all metal
swing slowly side to side
moving closer to the target.
As soon as I hear it.
it is either right in front
or directly under the tip of the coil.
Depending on depth.
Turning sidways & doing the same can narrow it fruther.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using it on one of my M-6s and it pinpoints right at the "ears" of the coil..

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
TORRERO said:
eagle77 said:
On my T2 I use a +, left- right, then move 90 degrees and left right again it's within 2 inches of the center of the +

I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN !!!

Instead of X pinpointing, I do a +, same apples but diff color.
All the books say to pinpoint making an X, I prefer the method I described.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cosmic said:
I'm using it on one of my M-6s and it pinpoints right at the "ears" of the coil..

That is the way I initially started doing the pinpointing and I seemed to be a bit Northwest of the ears. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong, if it was just my coil, or my eyes weren't tracking properly.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the 6X10 quite a bit lately. Yes it does slip through the trash pretty well for a larger coil, much better than the 9.5, but the 4X6 is superb for that use. I find that on mine the pinpoint seems to run near the coil ears or just a bit ahead. All in all, I'm finding that I like the 6X10 a lot and it currently is my most used coil.
HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread