My Piranha needs sharping bad, but how?

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dremel tool has many attachments to sharpen anything....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you own a file and can you spare 5 to 10 minutes?

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've just used a file before a it works great. Put it in a shop vice. I'm pretty sure that tool has been heat treated so I wouldn't use a grinder.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a flap wheel on mine and it works perfect. I take down any high or low spots with a file first. I think a Dremel is a good idea too

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A place that services lawn mowers, like a small engine shop, may be able to do it. Like sharpening a mower blade.

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a digging tool similar to the Lesche digger?

If so, I would use a good sharp file & only file the scoop side edges.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take my diggers to a knife sharpener. He is a Vet, that charges me $6.00 per tool to sharpen. I can cut paper with my Lesche, Sidekick, and Diamond Digger! :occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a Harbor Freight close by? $10 or $12 will get you a nice selection of diamond sharpeners so you can sharpen most anything you own. Not to mention that investment will last you years, And you can carry the stick sharpeners with you in the field.

WARNING! Stay away from the pink ones you chuck up in a drill!!!!!! They have a bad habit of blowing up!!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sharpen my diggers with the same gear I do my axes. 10" single-cut mill ******* file.

But in these politically correct times you can't say "*******" even though it is a recognized item available in file catalogs, as well as a condition of birth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a Harbor Freight close by? $10 or $12 will get you a nice selection of diamond sharpeners so you can sharpen most anything you own. Not to mention that investment will last you years, And you can carry the stick sharpeners with you in the field.

WARNING! Stay away from the pink ones you chuck up in a drill!!!!!! They have a bad habit of blowing up!!!!

I have a harbor freight 2 mins away. Is this a file you need a drill for?

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I sharpen my shovel, I carefully use a belt sander. I would attach your shovel to a work bench with a vise or clamp(s) so it is stable to work on. Keep the sander moving or the metal heat up. It only needs a few passes with the sander.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a water fed belt sand at where I work.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a harbor freight 2 mins away. Is this a file you need a drill for?
No. The ones to use are the flat ones like a regular sharpening stone. The they have a little one looks like a pen. Has a groove for fish hooks etc. a flat side and a round side. Great to hang on a key chain. The one I really like is the block in a holder. Four grits, you just flip the block. The single ones you can just leave in your goodie bag to touch up rock dings in the field. If you loose it it's only a couple bucks to replace.They're usually over by the scissors & magnifiers type stuff. So for $10 or $15 bucks at the most you can sharpen everything you own. $21 if you get a chainsaw chain sharpener. :icon_thumleft:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple 12" flat pɹɐʇsɐq file will sharpen almost any digger. If digger has teeth use a triangular shape.
Marvin

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With what I was suggesting buying from HF, you should be able to sharpen 99% of the things you own for under $20.

Since were talking sharpening without dinging your pocket book. My grandfather showed me a cool system back in the 50s. Get yourself a piece of glass about 24" square. Wet a piece of sandpaper & the glass with honing oil. In those days it was the little can of lubricating oil from Pep Boys. Work your edge through the grits by just wetting & changing sandpaper. I've got some 3200 grit from a hobby shop that'll put a beyond razor edge on a knife that shines like a mirror. If you're really cheap, save your sand paper by placing waxed paper between the sheets. I've got a slab of granite counter top I use now. Went to a shop that does granite & asked if they had any drops. They let me pick what I wanted & even squared it up for me. My cost? Two Pepsis and a cigarette.

Hope this helps you get going without much work & cash.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With what I was suggesting buying from HF, you should be able to sharpen 99% of the things you own for under $20.

Since were talking sharpening without dinging your pocket book. My grandfather showed me a cool system back in the 50s. Get yourself a piece of glass about 24" square. Wet a piece of sandpaper & the glass with honing oil. In those days it was the little can of lubricating oil from Pep Boys. Work your edge through the grits by just wetting & changing sandpaper. I've got some 3200 grit from a hobby shop that'll put a beyond razor edge on a knife that shines like a mirror. If you're really cheap, save your sand paper by placing waxed paper between the sheets. I've got a slab of granite counter top I use now. Went to a shop that does granite & asked if they had any drops. They let me pick what I wanted & even squared it up for me. My cost? Two Pepsis and a cigarette.

Hope this helps you get going without much work & cash.

It sure did. Thanks boogeyman those where all very helpful tips for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread