Attaching metal detector to drone

Airmetal

Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone attempted to attach a metal detector to a drone? I have a DJI mavic pro. Based on what I've read, it could lift and fly with a couple of pounds. Attaching a metal detector and flying low to the ground means it could cover a lot of area. I was thinking it could be rigged up where the camera is pointed to the detector and you set the flight path and then when the detector goes off you stop it and Mark where to dig. I live in Southern California and there is a lot of flat desert with not many obstacles. With all of the Lost Treasure stories, if you could cover a lot of ground with a drone...

Upvote 5

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds a little out there plus based of a friend of mine that has a pretty nice DJI( I think that's the name), battery life would be drastically altered. But go for it.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how would one know when a target is found at distances beyond blue tooth capabilities and how would you mark the target for further examination. You'd be chasing targets while the drone is finding more but without the ability to mark and examine targets as fast as the drone could maybe find them......I don't know sounds like a few bugs to work out on this one. But hey you know what they say " Necessity is the Mother of Invention"

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might also run into electrical interference issues. Some guys have issues around powerlines. The motors on the drones may cause issues. You may want to test for that as well.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and I obviously don't metal detect for the same reason.:laughing7:
Marvin

OP
OP
A

Airmetal

Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter46356 You can easily pinpoint Mark's on gps map while drone is flying. Metal detector goes off, you pinpoint on the map and keep going. Then later search the areas that are pinpointed on your map

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a drone would be more useful in locating cellar holes, ruins, or features to determine if greater effort hiking, climbing, stream fording, etc. is needed to reach the sites with metal detector in hand.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a drone would be more useful in locating cellar holes, ruins, or features to determine if greater effort hiking, climbing, stream fording, etc. is needed to reach the sites with metal detector in hand.

Agreed with the idea of using a drone for scouting areas. I can see that being useful to locate interesting places without having to hike all over the known universe. My extended family has a large farm in eastern North Carolina with the potential for some good sites to dig. It would be handy to do a fly-over and mark likely spots with GPS points.

I wish I could justify buying one but there are limits to my expendable income.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the only detector out there that would fit the bill is the xp Deus at 1.9 pounds. Everything else is bigger. Understanding where the target is when the machine goes off would be a challenge, as well as not crashing it into the ground!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter46356 You can easily pinpoint Mark's on gps map while drone is flying. Metal detector goes off, you pinpoint on the map and keep going. Then later search the areas that are pinpointed on your map

Not saying this Drone thing is a bust just yet.... but seriously....A drone flies over a target and sends a signal to the operator/ drone saves a GPS coordinate. Drone lands.... operator somehow receives target coordinates and walks to the target location ( needing a GPS to find target) and digs. If your going to walk to the target locations anyway what advantage is there in having the drone find a possible target. On top of that a target that has been swept over only one time.... unless you program the drone to know when the detector senses a target and sweeps it several times ( like you would do yourself before deciding to dig or not). Like I originally said if this is to come to reality....there's more than a few bugs to be worked out. I'm kinda old school.... been round for 63 years and the younger generations seems to be more interested in letting a machine do what people use too. Even if it means it may actually take longer but expend less energy. Part of what I enjoy in metal detecting is actually getting out and stretching the old muscles not really interested in sitting in the truck watching a laptop/ ipad for coordinates to eventually walk to and more than likely sweep again. Possibly needing a second detector (or removing the one attached to the drone) to decide if I really want to dig the target. Seems......I don't know kinda pretty far fetched....but hey there are tech-no people out there making leaps and bounds and probably a lot more money than I make a year....So go for it and prove me wrong. I'll be waiting patiently for the results.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like to much work for me to do. I will just walk and swing.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
001.JPG
Mount a LiDAR on Something like this 80 inch 8 pound Electric powered Cub and cover an area (in a 1/2 hr. flight),what would take Days to walk :)

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the utility of using a drone for scouting but to try to tie to MD seems a bit of stretch!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, pictures are being taken from space by cameras on satellites. The Geological Xrays and colors are being studied for possible future mining of precious metals. The pictures are analyzed for common signatures that certain ores have.
There are probably thousands of satellite scans that have taken so many pictures, you could spend a lifetime trying to decide which ones to physically investigate. Go big or go home. #rentasatellite

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to have EMI from the Drone engine and remember metal above detector coil sets off detector too, not just below.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son just got a Mav Pro. An incredibly impressive machine. He can fly all over our favorite local park 500 acres with pin point accuracy and incredible video footage. I’m looking forward to borrowing it to scout some other huge parks in the fall/winter when the foliage is down.

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think using it to scout would be a great idea, but when I swing, I have my detector about touching the ground. I don't have a DJI, but I know that my drones won't hover without a little fluctuation and I'd be afraid that I'd either be too high or bump the ground and crash the drone trying to keep the coil only 1" off the ground. If it were me, I'd look at using something with wheels like a R/C truck if was going to automate my detecting, maybe something with a custom wide wheelbase and a gantry arm so that I could swing the arm side to side 40" or so. I detect for a completely different reason though; I like to put on my headphones and relax as a form of unwinding from work and the kids and automating that would ruin my hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions