Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Best Tip Ive heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    1536 times
    Very well said, HP.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13015 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (5)
    "Steam". I like it. And companies NEVER stretch the truth about their detectors. Never. No Company. Ever.
    Iffy Signals likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    12786 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I have the equinox and AT MAX the max signals are clear seoeraton much better easier to use hands down better machine
    See I liked my ATP better than my Max
    Iffy Signals likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2141 times
    Metal detecting is maybe 10% gear and 90% luck. Guy with a cheap machine has good luck one day and finds more and better stuff than guy on the same field the same day with a top end machine. Next day the opposite is true. I have hunted hundreds of hours with the same friends when we all had the same machines, and always one or the other will find more and/or better stuff on any given day. LUCK. I have seen this many times. No matter what machine one uses one still has to pass the coil over a good target. Most coins and jewelry in parks and yards will only be in the top 6" if the ground has never been landscaped or silted over by flooding. I think the hype for great depth is overrated unless one hunts landscaped or silted over areas, deep woods spots will have deeper items due to larger build up from fallen sticks and leaves than parks and lawns. Folks who use a lot of discrimination pass over a lot of goodies, no doubt about it. As I say over and over again, the only true target ID is when it is in your hand, and "he who digs the most holes finds the most goodies".
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    Metal detecting is maybe 10% gear and 90% luck. Guy with a cheap machine has good luck one day and finds more and better stuff than guy on the same field the same day with a top end machine. Next day the opposite is true. I have hunted hundreds of hours with the same friends when we all had the same machines, and always one or the other will find more and/or better stuff on any given day. LUCK. I have seen this many times. No matter what machine one uses one still has to pass the coil over a good target. Most coins and jewelry in parks and yards will only be in the top 6" if the ground has never been landscaped or silted over by flooding. I think the hype for great depth is overrated unless one hunts landscaped or silted over areas, deep woods spots will have deeper items due to larger build up from fallen sticks and leaves than parks and lawns. Folks who use a lot of discrimination pass over a lot of goodies, no doubt about it. As I say over and over again, the only true target ID is when it is in your hand, and "he who digs the most holes finds the most goodies".
    The secret to improving your chances of finding better targets repeatedly is not luck. It's research and knowing your detector. I've never known a successful detectorist who relied on luck and never researched his sites before hunting them.
    ~Texas Jay

Jul 2013
    880 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think the best tip Iíve ever heard and has gotten me more gold and jewelry than ever b4, is from the best treasure hunter around...Mr. Gary Drayton. ďNobody ever gets it all..The gold is there you just have to slow down and be methodical on your huntsĒ after reading and watching his videos Iím able to find more goodies on each hunt.

us
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Nov 2004
    NC
    WHITES DFX, TESORO
    42 times
    My best gold coin was with a $329 beep and go. You never know.

BEST ?? How many have you dug ??
    Last edited by TORRERO; Sep 24, 2018 at 09:17 AM.
    URBAN DISCOVERY !
    DISCOVERING, RECOVERING, PRESERVING AMERICAN AND WORLD TREASURES ONE PIECE AT A TIME

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post
    I invite you to come down to central Texas and see how you can fare against my Ace 250 and me.
    ~Texas Jay
    I bet you anything I could bring my mxsport and slay that 250 ten ways from sunday. My first machine was a bounty hunter time ranger I used for 2 years, hundreds of hours. Then upgraded to the mxsport which blows it out of the water, got easily over 1000 hours on the sport. now I'm learning the equinox. The finds difference from the mxsport compared to the cheap bounty hunter was incredible, at least 5 times more good targets being dug. If you learn your machine you will do better obviously, but theres no substituting the change in depth and seperation that my newer detectors get. Ask 3cylbill about how his tesoro stacked up against the mxsport on deep silver and indians at our spot. There were so many signals his detector couldn't even see, even when I pointed them out and let him test and play with his settings. So on a site with targets only around 6 to 8 inches max, sure I bet your 250 would mostly keep up, but come to some of my sites with heavy trash, mineralization, or deep targets and I guarantee you will see a complete lack of performance. I suspect your friends just don't know their machines well enough, or are digging far less target types than you, or possibly you tend to swing the better areas due to intuition and reading the site well.
    Last edited by Tpmetal; Sep 24, 2018 at 09:23 AM.

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    I bet you anything I could bring my mxsport and slay that 250 ten ways from sunday. My first machine was a bounty hunter time ranger I used for 2 years, hundreds of hours. Then upgraded to the mxsport which blows it out of the water, got easily over 1000 hours on the sport. now I'm learning the equinox. The finds difference from the mxsport compared to the cheap bounty hunter was incredible, at least 5 times more good targets being dug. If you learn your machine you will do better obviously, but theres no substituting the change in depth and seperation that my newer detectors get. Ask 3cylbill about how his tesoro stacked up against the mxsport on deep silver and indians at our spot. There were so many signals his detector couldn't even see, even when I pointed them out and let him test and play with his settings. So on a site with targets only around 6 to 8 inches max, sure I bet your 250 would mostly keep up, but come to some of my sites with heavy trash, mineralization, or deep targets and I guarantee you will see a complete lack of performance. I suspect your friends just don't know their machines well enough, or are digging far less target types than you, or possibly you tend to swing the better areas due to intuition and reading the site well.

There's only one way to find out. Get out your road atlas and set your car in the direction of Brownwood, Texas and give me a call when you're on your way. I'm in the phone book. Most of the sites I hunt have heavy trash and deep targets but very little mineralization issues. I was hunting with another CTTC member last Monday, who also uses and Ace 250 and is very experienced with it, and he found the oldest coin, ever found with a metal detector, in this county (which didn't have a settler in it until the late 1850s) - an 1805 Draped Bust quarter in Poor condition as it is nearly slick. It was about 9.5" deep.
    ~Texas Jay

us
    Mr

Mar 2013
    Meridian Id
    Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
    484 times
    I tell folks at least 100 coins on a new machine
    Texas Jay likes this.
    All the Best Richie Rich

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5147 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The big difference between the Ace 250 and the AT Pro is the amount of trash you will dig. I loved my Ace 250, but I dug way too much trash. Bottle caps ringing up as quarters drove me nuts! I rarely dig up steel bottle caps with my AT Pro. Bottom line, you will find more treasure if you dig less trash.

May 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times
    Jay I'm curious as to where you keep your 250 settings when you hunt. I have one, and to your point, not nearly enough hours to be an "expert," however, always looking for tips to improve.
    Last edited by TheRake71; Sep 26, 2018 at 09:19 AM.
    Texas Jay likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post

There's only one way to find out. Get out your road atlas and set your car in the direction of Brownwood, Texas and give me a call when you're on your way. I'm in the phone book. Most of the sites I hunt have heavy trash and deep targets but very little mineralization issues. I was hunting with another CTTC member last Monday, who also uses and Ace 250 and is very experienced with it, and he found the oldest coin, ever found with a metal detector, in this county (which didn't have a settler in it until the late 1850s) - an 1805 Draped Bust quarter in Poor condition as it is nearly slick. It was about 9.5" deep.
    ~Texas Jay
    Next time I am in texas I'm down for sure. also hollar at me if you ever find your way into south western/central ny or north western/central pa. Love me some digging, sounds like we could have some fun.
    Texas Jay likes this.

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    1021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRake71 View Post
    Jay I'm curious as to where you keep your 250 settings when you hunt. I have one, and to your point, not nearly enough hours to be an "expert," however, always looking for tips to improve.
    Hi TheRake71. I keep my Ace 250 set on Jewelry Mode most of the time and the sensitivity usually only one bar down from maximum because we don't have mineralized ground problems in my area of central Texas. Occasionally, I'll switch to all-metal to get a better understanding of a target. I don't mind digging pull tabs, pop-tops, pennies, or nickels to get the occasional gold ring or pendant. Once I got enough hours on the Ace 250 to understand it, I find that I'm not having to dig near as much trash as I was when I started using it. I have about 170 hours on mine now. In the past 2 evenings (3 hours total), I've dug 56 coins, a brass amusement token, and an 18k gold-plated man's wedding band from a small and very trashy lot where a tiny house once sat and I've dug very few pieces of trash.
    I encourage you to ignore the naysayers who claim that you need to buy a much more expensive detector to be successful and keep putting the hours on your Ace. It will surprise you.
    ~Texas Jay

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    1021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpmetal View Post
    Next time I am in texas I'm down for sure. also hollar at me if you ever find your way into south western/central ny or north western/central pa. Love me some digging, sounds like we could have some fun.
    Yes, I guarantee you that we'll have fun if we get to detect together in this very historic, but little-known, area of rural central Texas. Our Central Texas Treasure Club will be holding our Annual Fall Open Competition Hunt on October 13th. We will have detectorists from all over Texas and even have a couple coming from Alaska to participate. It will be our biggest and best Hunt in our club's 37-year history.

http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com

~Texas Jay

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links