Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Best Tip Ive heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1001 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Best Tip I've heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

Probably the best metal detecting tip I've heard in my 49 years of hunting came from the late Charles Garrett when he said that you need to put 100 hours on your detector before you can really understand its capabilities. Truer words have never been spoken. Too many people, who are just starting out in this amazing hobby, allow others to talk trash about their "beginner detectors" and take their unwise advise to move up to a "deeper, better, or more expensive" metal detector before they've used the one they have for even 10 hours or less. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 several years ago but only this year decided to give it a real workout and learn what it could do. So I've let my more expensive detectors collect dust for the past few months and have used the 250 exclusively. Yesterday, I logged my 105th hour on that little detector and it has performed amazingly well. I regularly hunt with guys who use detectors that cost at least 3 times and as much as 10 times the cost of my Ace 250 and I usually come out with the best finds of the day. Let the other guys sit around at the coffee shop, bragging about their expensive detectors, while you get out in the field with yours and make some truly remarkable discoveries. Above all, have fun!
    ~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    12137 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post
    Probably the best metal detecting tip I've heard in my 49 years of hunting came from the late Charles Garrett when he said that you need to put 100 hours on your detector before you can really understand its capabilities. Truer words have never been spoken. Too many people, who are just starting out in this amazing hobby, allow others to talk trash about their "beginner detectors" and take their unwise advise to move up to a "deeper, better, or more expensive" metal detector before they've used the one they have for even 10 hours or less. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 several years ago but only this year decided to give it a real workout and learn what it could do. So I've let my more expensive detectors collect dust for the past few months and have used the 250 exclusively. Yesterday, I logged my 105th hour on that little detector and it has performed amazingly well. I regularly hunt with guys who use detectors that cost at least 3 times and as much as 10 times the cost of my Ace 250 and I usually come out with the best finds of the day. Let the other guys sit around at the coffee shop, bragging about their expensive detectors, while you get out in the field with yours and make some truly remarkable discoveries. Above all, have fun!
    ~Texas Jay

Yeah but then I wonít look cool

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    28808 times
    So the saying was not "it takes 100 metal detectors to understand how to detect" ? ? ?

Hmm somehow I think some got this wrong. heh
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - Lurking in The RCT - Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

de
    Apr 2016
    Makro Multi Kruzer / Fisher F11 with Nel Tornado coil
    120 times
    I used my detector for 3 years (hundreds of hours) and recently found out, that I can go without problems with 100% sensitivity instead of only default 80% (which means 25% more depth). So even after a long time you can learn something new about your detector.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre
    7323 times
    coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    i used my time ranger for 2 years hunting every day excluding rain

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    19062 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great! Now that you know how to use a beginner machine - and appreciate its capabilities, just wait until you get your Minelab Equinox 600. You'll be speechless.

If you're new make that 1,000 hours.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    If you're new make that 1,000 hours.
    Totally agree. To REALLY understand all that’s going on,especially if you don’t have a lot of the targets you want to find! I’ve got 300-500 hours on my CTX and I feel I’m still learning...

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12880 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    I must be doing something wrong then. Not enough hours. Maybe I should just put my stuff back in the ground.

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Great! Now that you know how to use a beginner machine - and appreciate its capabilities, just wait until you get your Minelab Equinox 600. You'll be speechless.
    Terry, my detecting buddy uses a Minelab Equinox 800 and I'm not impressed with it and I don't think he is either. He usually finds more modern coins than I do on each hunt but I almost always make the best finds of the day with the Ace 250. I've noticed lately that his 800 spends most of its time in the car and he uses his XP Deus that he's had for a lot longer.
    ~Texas Jay
    A2coins and Hillbilly Prince like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12880 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    My best gold coin was with a $329 beep and go. You never know.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17408 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have been using metal detectors since 1970 so it's only been 48 years for me. I have used everything from beep and dig,,, right on up to the arsenal I currently have. The machines I have used over the years have included numerous Garretts.
    To say that your ACE 250 will consistently outhunt my DEUS, CTX, E-trac, or Excalibur is a bunch of horse feathers.
    I suggest that you show the guys you hunt with where the on / off button is on their machines.
    Ol' Kentuck, chub, lastleg and 2 others like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3050 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post
    ~Texas Jay

The fact that people DONT follow this....is good to some point. Keeps the finds in the ground for us with patience. Even my hunting buddies of years have pretty much lost interest. Which sucks because I don't get to see them anymore.

But yea...my ACE 250, it took me a year or more to REALLY understand what it was telling me, same with my ATP, i don't think i ever stopped figuring out some of the little signs it was given me.

I have had the CTX now for over 2 years and find great things with it...but I surely havent "Figured It out"

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    4507 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Put a DD coil on your ACE 250 and youíll keep everything you like about it and gain another 1.5Ē of depth and have better separation in iron infested soil.

ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
    111 times
    While I haven't been hunting for long enough to even mark 50 hours of time with either of my machines... something I think is reasonable to say is the longer you detect regardless of what machine you use... the better a detector you'll be. You can walk out with a top of the line machine or a piece of crap and if you don't know how to hunt... then all the bells and whistles or lack there of won't matter a bit. You know after a dozen hours where people congregate and what earth is going to give you the most problems because of minerals and the fact that the crowd that is on the location is going to make detecting hell cause they're that kinda crowd... the machine doesn't do anything for you there... it's all the grey matter that you've primed with hours of labour... the machine will show you what is there... but it isn't going to tell you where you're more likely to find treasure or dross... it'll just tell you something is there and if YOU are adept enough... you can read the response it gives you and tell what it's going to be. I surprised myself yesterday when out in my local school back field... I was swinging away... listening and thinking... and heard a sullen little tone... kinda on the edge of what should be a nickel but not really sure... then I shook my head and said pull tab... and I dug it up cause I might as well know if I'm passing up a nickel... but no... my intuition was correct... the machine didn't tell me anything... but my head told me what it was and time spent out there listening and learning paid off.

So spend your hundred hours knowing the machine... but don't forget the most important machine is the one inside your skull.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links