Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am a newbie (a couple of months), but addicted the hobby. I have been swinging my F44 and enjoying it...a good starter detector.

Well anyways... I was coming back from a trip and decided to stop off at a county park (I have a county permit) that was on the way home, one that too far away to go to on a weekend, but it felt like a shame not to take a look around since I was passing it. I stopped by got out my detector and gear and stared to poke around. Found a clad penny right off, so I was excited. There was a baseball diamond and volleyball area and a bunch of benches and tables around them. I figured it looked like a (trashy) but good spot to start. If I picked it out, I am sure a experienced hobbyist already hit it.

I was right, somebody already hit it. They dug everything. They left the junk by the plugs, they left plugs open (in areas where people would run around). They left bottle caps and pull tabs in the bottom of the holes, on the edge of the holes. They left it a mess. I spent a hour filling holes and plugs. Some areas that they did fill they left the junk in the holes and covered them back up. I dug up a few and tossed the caps and tabs. It was sad to see.

Now I suspect it was someone new who got a metal detector and never bothered to learn the etiquette or a kid (bad parents?), but still. I research like a mad fiend when I am Interested in something, detectors, rules, permits...YouTube is a blast with this hobby.

What bad experiences have you had?

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We have a man in our area that got everyone banned from a high school because he did the same thing. Never covered a plug and the school closed the grounds to everyone.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, THANK-YOU for picking up their trash and filling in their open holes! The idiot swinging that detector is also an experienced litterbug! Go back there soon to see if that bozo has returned. I ran into the same situation in a massive park and here's what the county did about the problem...

Detecting Sign.jpg

No more detecting there!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I call people out when I see it. We have several here at local beaches. Leave the pennies and trash right next to the hole. Do they think that won't ever dig them again?..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came upon a site like that and felt obligated to pick up the trash and fill the holes. It was early January so I bet it was a noob who did this. Thanks for making things right.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found similar. But two miles out a 2 track, quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Dug with a large shovel, left open, holes big enough to trip in.

One guy at another similar place passed by while I was detecting. Some arrogant, old fart, know it all, wiener, with a CTX and a Jeep. Thought he'd give me a history lesson on the area. Said there was a nearby ghost town, and pointed in the wrong direction. I asked him if he was the one that left the holes and trash all around.....he said "It's the middle of the wood's, who cares?"......I told him I cared.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunate that some people think behavior like that is OK. Leaving holes and junk laying around is real bad, but even reburying found junk is kind of annoying. Time is taken to dig it up, so why not just be considerate and pick it up.
Good on you for taking the time to fix their mess

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I see it as well. I pick up their trash and fill their holes, too. It also usually means that they don't know what they are doing and I end up finding some goodies.

HH ALL

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost my ultimate honey hole park because someone jumped a fence in a non digging area, a fountain from 1904 with a black rode iron fence around it, hit a water line and left a mess. They did it at night they said. Now this is about a 2 acre area in a 3200 acre park. Made me sick when they told me. All the employees knew me and felt bad for me.

NO MORE METAL DETECTING (NEW RULE)

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It ain't that hard to cover remove the trash and cover the holes. I do that in the woods also to help prevent erosion and it is just a habit. When in the woods and i find larger iron trash I just put near a big tree so another detectorist will see it. I cannot carry out all the large trash I find in deeper woods that some people seem to leave. Mostly tin cans.

In parks and school grounds I try to make the hole invisible or at least to the point where the next rain shower will make it invisible. Also in parks and school yards I use a small spade instead of my Lesche. One day in the park I saw a guy digging with a home depot trench shovel. Boy did that make him visible to the public. But he was covering up his holes very good.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i do the same in the woods if i find a big piece of metal i don't want like plow pieces i sit them against a tree and my pawpaw gets them and takes them to the scrap yard and this is on family land when i do it

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is sad... Good on you, I commend you for doing that :headbang:. I have also filled holes on 2 occasions and there is nothing more irritating than coming up on a site that you detect on a regular basis that looks like gophers were there. Once though, I did detect a hole that someone left uncovered with can slaw and after removing the slaw and filling the hole I got a high reading , redug the hole and out came a merc… had to have been a noob

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos, Tikirob, for taking the time to repair someone else's mess...I think we will all see that at least once. I've noticed it right after Xmas, HUGE holes (not plugs), with all the trash laying on top of the ground. But I take solace in knowing that these noobs quit after they've spent 20 minutes and haven't dug a ring for every finger. Our town has a detecting ban due to these actions about 15 yrs ago, turns out a group of out-of-towners were showing up at dusk at our oldest and most renown city park, and digging well into the night. The next morning revealed what looked like a C130 or Warthog air assault. Unbelievable. It didn't take long for park officials to shut that s##t down! So we all pay the price. Ddf.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I call people out when I see it. We have several here at local beaches. Leave the pennies and trash right next to the hole. Do they think that won't ever dig them again?..

they are just like the idiots who...
let their dog poop on other people's lawns and don't clean it up.
throw cigarette buts out their car windows.
trow trash out their car windows.
drop gum on side walks.
don't hold doors open for women, children and older people.
we call them white trash in the south (and no people living in the rural areas and speak with a southern accent are not equal to white trash).

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're supposed to fill our holes?,,,,,It's not just the detecting hobby. Basic common sense and basic common courtesy are GONE.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
We're supposed to fill our holes?,,,,,It's not just the detecting hobby. Basic common sense and basic common courtesy are GONE.
this is it.....

i have a lil fishing cabin on a lake. grew up there. I've watch the constant decline of humanity. Etiquitte is non existant, i remember it, but all is lost. I've watched the appearance of at least 4 invasive species. I have no tolerance for towables, skiiers, jetskis, kayakers, tourists.....arrogant, selfish, scum that come to my world, destroy it, and go back home to their lives without a care

it's sad

sorry for the rant

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most of that detect have run across places where someone made a mess and never bothered to fill in holes or pick up trash. If I dig it I take it with me and cover my holes. I pride myself on not leaving a trace I been there. Yea not every plug I put back is perfect but I try and make it look good.
If I am detecting and hit a target I know is a can before I dig I won't dig it just to get rid of it. At 73 yrs old dropping to my knees 40 - 50 times digging presumably good targets is enough without digging targets I know are junk

Believe me even word of mouth about metal detecting slobs is bad. I got kicked out of a by a park official because they heard bad things about people that metal detect even though he couldn't tell where I had dug

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This sign is in a small park about 10 miles from home. I talked to a park employee and he told me that though no one ever caused any damage the powers that be want to make sure no one ever digs holes. IMGP0031.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread