Need Serious Help / Choosing Metal Detector / Cool History

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry if my english seems off, my main language is french (I'm still pretty okay in english).

There's the story: My GF had a land, he passed away last year (may he rest in peace), the land is still in our family! I decided to search the history related with his land and I found interesting stuff.

There was most likely a house there (with cowshed and stuff) from 1670-1750 (300+ years ago). Then because of a war, all the people living on this island were evacuated (which was around 1750). Then 10k soldiers came to the small island (invader), and destroyed everything (on 300+ house there's only 3 that survived).

So my goal (and my only last hope to find ruins of the old house on my GF land) is to use a metal detector, and find stuff that could help me to locate the destroyed house that should now be burried underground. When I'm saying stuff, it's pretty much anything that could have been in the house at that time (nails, old pieces of iron, tools made of iron, etc). I don't care about finding coins or stuff, I just need a detector for deep researching (10-15 inches would be really great) that will be able to get good iron signal (but I wouldn't mind having a detector able to check for other metals, since this could become a hobby).

Nb. When people left the island because of the evacuation, I'm 100% sure some families burried their stuff underground and never cameback to get them since after all of this the house was destroyed and most people that lived on the island either died or were ruined and couldn't make it back on their property (rumors shared by native families of the island), but this is not what I'm looking for, I'm focused on finding the destroyed house on my GF property.

I started searching yesterday and I found the following metal detector that could fit my needs (relic hunting, at a pretty decent depth): Fisher F75 (could get one for $470 USD) or Teknetics T2 (could get one for $500). Please note that this is my price range ($500 USD max), I can't go higher.

The soil on my GF land is pretty dry (but at some place it's not that much), and it has a lot of rocks (particularly slate)!

I know some of you on this forum have a lot of experience with metal detectors, so I'm wondering if you could recommend me some detectors that would fit my needs. Is the Fisher F75 a good choice (it's the regular edition on amazon)? Teknetics T2 Classic would be better?

Thank you for your time and happy hunting :tongue3:

I hope I'm posting this under the right section of the forum, It's my first forum post.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i would go with a equinox 800

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And check out our Marketplace forum...I've gotten some nice deals from other members there.

OP
OP
I

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And check out our Marketplace forum...I've gotten some nice deals from other members there.

Seems like a good idea! However I don't feel 100% comfortable to buy a MD used if it's my first one (I really don't know much about general price/condition/etc.). I think I'll go with a new one.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like a good idea! However I don't feel 100% comfortable to buy a MD used if it's my first one (I really don't know much about general price/condition/etc.). I think I'll go with a new one.

Allow me to respond to this from my perspective:

You're new to the hobby, do not have a detector yet. Okay, just how serious are you about knocking on doors, finding permissions, and actually becoming as obsessed with the hobby as many of us here have become.

I did a 4 hour hunt in the water today, a two hour drive each way, to find 4 pennies = one crudded out such that it's a total loss = unspendable.

I've had many hunts with 2 (two) cents found = frustration. A whole lot of people have far greater luck than I have, but I'm still obsessed with the hobby. I'll drive 4 total hours again tomorrow for 4 cents, and then do it again the following day.

Is that the kind of obsession you see in yourself? It's really a great question for newbies.

Therefore, there are fantastic dependable detectors out there used, for sale by owners.

It's a chance to cut your losses in the event you can't deal with the hardships of the hobby. You can always sell it to someone else for your full money back - where is if you purchase a brand new machine = you'll take a loss when you abandon the hobby. I'd say there's many more than 50% who actually do abandon the hobby.

OP
OP
I

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DeepseekerADS,

Thanks for your reply and it's a good point. I don't know if I'll like this hobby or not (I think I'll like it since I love stuff related with history), but I think it's more a way to remember my GF (he would have loved to be able to search his land, and find a old house that was sitting there 300+ years ago), and even if I find nothing on his land then the thrill of the chase will be worth every dollar spent on this and I know he would be proud of me for trying!

Anyway thanks for your reply, and I wish you good luck on your next huting sessions!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F75 is a proven relic machine. It would serve you well until you decide whether this is something you want to continue as a hobby. Let us know what you find! :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both machines are good. Another one to consider is a Garrett AT Pro. A used one would be in your range. Most of the Tesoro machines are also in that range and they are unbelievable. I have had the Garrett AT Pro. I found it kind of heavy. The Tesoros are lightweight and easy to use. I also have an XP Deus but it and the Equinox 800 are out of your price range. The Deus is feather weight and goes very deep. The Equinox series seems to be best on salt water beaches, but is nose heavy.

It will be a matter of choice. Any dealers near you where you can test drive a machine? I'd recommend that if possible.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
In that price range you're fairly limited. $500 USD is about $660 CAD
I can't speak for a lot of machines but I can say that my Tesoro Outlaw kills it in the trashy areas and is a great relic machine. 1 coil Outlaw is $574 CAD with the 3 coil Outlaw at $720.

Lot's of people like the Tesoro Vaquero and it's $585
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 400i

A few other great machines are just slightly higher in the $700 - $900 range

OP
OP
I

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you all for your replies! I think I'll go with the T2 or the F75 (as smokeythecat suggested, I'll go to a dealer and ask some question/possibly test both MD). Tesoro seems really good too, but it doesn't have a screen and I'm pretty worried about that since I never used a MD before.

OP
OP
I

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the Fisher F75! Will receive it on Monday, start testing it on Tuesday and I will make sure to post my finds on the forum! Seems like a good deep relic MD. Thanks for the help :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you rely on a screen you may not do very well. I go by sound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread