Ebay scams?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have 4 of my machines on ebay right now, after listing them yesterday.

I am now inundated with offers to buy them outright. I did not set it up to take offers, people are just sending them.

Has anyone seen this? It feels like a scam, I am getting 10 'offers' an hour.

I know detectors are popular, but this is the first time selling something on ebay that this has happened.

Anyone else see this?

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought offers to buy outright was not ok on eBay unless set up that way in the listing. I’d be careful and good luck.

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through that as well, there's a lot of illegal diggers looking for a machine.
You can set your items to sell to North America only.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not reply to them and don't ship out of the country. Tracking becomes impossible. I'd change my listing to ships to us only and cancel overseas bids.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok....Are you meaning they are offering to buy them outside of Ebay? Or are you getting "offers" ? This is something that is fairly new on Ebay. If no one has made a bid on the item an offer can be made through the messaging. It's still part of Ebay and they still have to pay through paypal. I noticed this starting to happen a few months back. Even as a seller, If someone asks me a question I have the option to send them an "offer" with my answer to the question too. I haven't sold anything in a couple of months and I'm not sure of all the details on how it works. But I'm just guessing that maybe this is what's going on....Along those lines somewhere.

It may not be a scam. I've also made offers through messaging even if they don't have an "make offer" on the listing and its all fair and with the rules as long as it all goes through Ebay....

:dontknow:

Last edited:

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I accept offers occasiinally on ebay,
the vast majority are lowball offers from cheap asses and resellers that buy, mark up, and sit on it til it sells.

if you have relatively low feedback, poor quality images, ir anything else that makes you look like a new or casual seller, it will often attract the resellers. As long as you use ebays offer system to complete the transaction, there is nothing wrong with accepting offers, however if you are getting that many offers, your stuff is probably reasonably priced to begin with and it will likely sell for what you are asking anyway.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I did not set them up to take offers, but they just came rolling in.

I will change them to keep it domestic, thanks for that advice.

I was a charter member here for a bit, but shied away from this entire forum due to some 'unusual' posts from a few mainstay members.

This is actually my first post in many months.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some forums you can advertise for free and some forums you can't even mention a vendor that doesn't advertise on their forum. I used to use ebay but the fees are to much for me. I have sold stuff on craigslist too and that's risky as well.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you listed them fixed price and did not allow offers you will get tons of offers through the mail. Lowball sob story offers to legitimate I just want to shave a few bucks. If you listed it as a bid item once you receive a bid you cannot accept an offer the auction has to run its course unless you end it early and you will get end the auction early offers out the wazoo. It is an endless stream of bottom feeders. I only list items at a fixed price with make offer tab activated. It makes it much easier to manage the bottom feeders You just have to click decline offer not deal with an email. Once BF's are managed you can see that 90% of eBay participation is legitimate persons buying product they need. I have also seen eBay sponsored "set up" emails sent by eBay to see if they can get you to break eBay rules. They have an entire team of people doing it to protect their revenue stream. Fun stuff. Craigslist is a nightmare and has proven at times to be dangerous. I stay away

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you listed them fixed price and did not allow offers you will get tons of offers through the mail. Lowball sob story offers to legitimate I just want to shave a few bucks. If you listed it as a bid item once you receive a bid you cannot accept an offer the auction has to run its course unless you end it early and you will get end the auction early offers out the wazoo. It is an endless stream of bottom feeders. I only list items at a fixed price with make offer tab activated. It makes it much easier to manage the bottom feeders You just have to click decline offer not deal with an email. Once BF's are managed you can see that 90% of eBay participation is legitimate persons buying product they need. I have also seen eBay sponsored "set up" emails sent by eBay to see if they can get you to break eBay rules. They have an entire team of people doing it to protect their revenue stream. Fun stuff. Craigslist is a nightmare and has proven at times to be dangerous. I stay away

Heck, just set it to automatically accept an offer over a certain amount, and reject offers under an amount. Then you don't even have to click reject offer.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you. Never do I purchase or sell there.

Great thing you guys don't utilize craigslist!! More for those of us who do!! I paid 300 for my ATP, 650 for my hardly used Excal, and just got an Equinox 800 for 750. All work fine, had no problems with transactions and got some great machines from people who just decided they had bought things they wouldn't really use much. Got my demo Safari on ebay, many good deals there too but one has to look a lot.

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it with gold, was offered 95% of value. Guy also told me how to change it on eBay but I don’t remember the details. Figured as long as he was paying me 1st with PayPal it was ok and it worked out fine.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some forums you can advertise for free and some forums you can't even mention a vendor that doesn't advertise on their forum. I used to use ebay but the fees are to much for me. I have sold stuff on craigslist too and that's risky as well.
A trick to cut your scammers down by 80% buying or selling on Craigslist. Set up a meet and tell them "You know where the ****** Police Dept. is on ***** street? I'll meet you in the front parking lot in an hour." About half the sellers I call will say "Whoops Lookie! I've got it sold just now. BTW the PD parking lot has the best CCTV cameras around & will commend you on your smart thinking if they want to see why you're sitting there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread