I need a Detecting Tutor...

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m usually good at figuring stuff out on my own and I’ll eventually figure out how to use my CTX 3030 proficiently, but I would love to have just one day hunting with someone who really knows what they are doing and doesn’t mind answering newbie questions. There are no clubs near me and the closest detector dealer (I won’t say the name) is 1.5 hours from me and I had a very bad buying experience from them, so no help there. I bought the Andy Sabisch book and read it twice. It was a huge help, but not the same as being taught in the field by someone that knows what they’re doing. I live in Charlestown, Indiana (near Louisville, KY). If any experienced diggers out there are willing to meet up with me for a day of hunting and teaching, I’d be grateful.

Upvote 0

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Callred...I felt exactly the same way a couple of years ago when I first got my Etrac. After about 20 hours, I was looking for a tree to wrap it around. Same boat...no one in the area with one, or willing to have me tag along. Like you, however, I kept plugging (no pun intended) away, and all of a sudden, one day, what I'd read and the numerous different settings I'd tried finally 'clicked'! I'd been working an old football field for probably the 9th or 10th time...pulling nothing but shallow clad when it happened. That day, when it finally sunk in, I walked out with a silver GW, 3 Mercs, a buff and two wheaties...all at 6"+. �� It. Will. Happen!

Most people who stick with FBS/FBS2 long enough to realize the “a-ha” moment will say just what you said,and it really happens that way. The biggest mistake I personally made was trying too hard,I was digging stuff that had NO chance. Great view Ogre,my experience to a T!

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of an issue I don’t understand (I’m gonna attempt to attach a short video). This is in my test garden. I’m sweeping my coil over a silver dime buried 7-8 inches below the surface. The CTX is giving me inconsistent ID numbers (by inconsistent I mean it doesn’t give me an ID with every pass), but it’s also not making any sound when the coil passes over the target (even when giving me a target ID number). Even if the target is deep and faint, shouldn’t I get some sort of audible response?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That swing speed might be ok for pin pointing, but, it's too slow for normal detection of a target. Try a faster swing speed. At 7-8", you're about at the limit of an air test on an FBS machine. Freshly buried targets are just as limited......maybe more.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I myself have a detecting book out, but the site here has plenty of folks that I see are replying. I was going to suggest youtube videos and see someone has already posted one for you to check out. Watch as many of those videos as you can, little tricks to the hobby come in time. There are many types of hunting based upon site types and such, in time you will be posting some good stuff I am sure.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is an example of an issue I don’t understand (I’m gonna attempt to attach a short video). This is in my test garden. I’m sweeping my coil over a silver dime buried 7-8 inches below the surface. The CTX is giving me inconsistent ID numbers (by inconsistent I mean it doesn’t give me an ID with every pass), but it’s also not making any sound when the coil passes over the target (even when giving me a target ID number). Even if the target is deep and faint, shouldn’t I get some sort of audible response?

Try running it in manual sensitivity and getting it into the upper 20's.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. So it is normal for the CTX to “see” something, but not provide an audio response?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread