Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean my clad with soap and a Scrub brush (unfortunately I don't have a tumbler) 3 years ago I took my clad to my bank and cashed them in with no problem. Today I went to the bank to cash in my new horde. I handed them over to the lady and she walked over to her manager... The manager looked at them in disgust. She grabbed a few in her hand, dropped them back in the bag, looked at her hand like she had contracted some sort of disease! She asked me where I got them. I wasn't in the mood to explain, so I just told her "It's a long story". She looked at the coins again and said "It looks like they were buried..." Well, she got that one right, haha. So I broke down and payed Coinstars 11% fee, which I hate (and yes, I did check the reject bin when I got there) Just thought I'd share my annoying experience with everyone.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a rock tumbler and tumble dimes pennies nickels quarters separately lemon juice and salt 1 hour perfect for the bank!!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go to a site and find lots of silver her and the kids seeded the place to keep you away for the day.!! When you see new appliances ie water heater check your gold rings.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it is about how much your time and effort is worth. If you have 2000 pennies, and they charge you 11% to convert them, that is $2.20.

How much time, effort, electricity, cleaning solvents, etc vs $2.20?

(Find a bank that has a machine and that charges 5%.)

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put the clad coins in a Cool whip container out side with water . Let them soak .
The Squirrels drink out of it and sometimes i find them tipped over .
Then when i get around to cleaning them i just rub them in my fingers and rinse them off to dry.
All the dimes and nickels that turned dark get put in the parking meters when i go to the clinic .
Kathy takes the heavy blankets to the laundry and uses the dirty quarters .
The bank won't take them. They say there counter wont recognise them.
A lot of the bad pennies go in the recycling container and maybe the employes fight over them.
I have put the old pennies in wrappers before and spent them .
:laughing7:I than told them not to open them in the till just send them to the bank.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My solution is to first tumble each batch of coins for a couple of hours, dry them, and put them in a coffee can. Every morning before I begin my day, I take a few from the can and put them in my pocket. I always use them to pay sales taxes and amounts over the highest dollar of my purchases. Never have a problem. For instance, if I make a purchase for $1.58, I give them a dollar and take the 58 cents out of my recycled pocket change. If you make a habit of this, you'll be surprised at how many coins you can get rid of in a month's time and you don't have to pay a machine a penny of your money to take them. I tumble my coins after every month of detecting and can usually spend the previous month's cleaned coins by the time I'm ready to tumble this month's coins. I work too hard to find this "legal tender" money to let a machine steal 11% of it or to take any crap from a bank teller about it.
~Jay~

centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the clad coins in a Cool whip container out side with water . Let them soak .
Then when i get around to cleaning them i just rub them in my fingers and rinse them off to dry.
All the dimes and nickels that turned dark get put in the parking meters when i go to the clinic .
Kathy takes the heavy blankets to the laundry and uses the dirty quarters .
The bank won't take them. They say there counter wont recognise them.
A lot of the bad pennies go in the recycling container and maybe the employes fight over them.
I have put the old pennies in wrappers before and spent them .
:laughing7:I than told them not to open them in the till just send them to the bank.
More likely, it gunks up their counter. Coin counters don't like any dirt or thicker coins from corrosion. They play H&LL counting them.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder what it is in the water that makes the squirrels tip over. I have plenty of the little varmints in my back yard and, since I'm not allowed to shoot them in town, will have to leave a few coins soaking in a bowl of water when it comes time to make some Brunswick stew. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions