Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean my clad with soap and a Scrub brush (unfortunately I don't have a tumbler) 3 years ago I took my clad to my bank and cashed them in with no problem. Today I went to the bank to cash in my new horde. I handed them over to the lady and she walked over to her manager... The manager looked at them in disgust. She grabbed a few in her hand, dropped them back in the bag, looked at her hand like she had contracted some sort of disease! She asked me where I got them. I wasn't in the mood to explain, so I just told her "It's a long story". She looked at the coins again and said "It looks like they were buried..." Well, she got that one right, haha. So I broke down and payed Coinstars 11% fee, which I hate (and yes, I did check the reject bin when I got there) Just thought I'd share my annoying experience with everyone.

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think people think iam kidding when i tell them that i put my clad in my washing machine and just leave them there for a couple of months,no iam not married.
brad

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does being married make your coins cleaner

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can a bank reject legal US currency?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I clean my clad with soap and a Scrub brush (unfortunately I don't have a tumbler) 3 years ago I took my clad to my bank and cashed them in with no problem. Today I went to the bank to cash in my new horde. I handed them over to the lady and she walked over to her manager... The manager looked at them in disgust. She grabbed a few in her hand, dropped them back in the bag, looked at her hand like she had contracted some sort of disease! She asked me where I got them. I wasn't in the mood to explain, so I just told her "It's a long story". She looked at the coins again and said "It looks like they were buried..." Well, she got that one right, haha. So I broke down and payed Coinstars 11% fee, which I hate (and yes, I did check the reject bin when I got there) Just thought I'd share my annoying experience with everyone.

My bank did the same thing. The head teller told me no. I now use the quarters in the newspaper machine. But since then I've gotten a premission to hunt an old home place that is on the tellers land. She said there are nothing but old bricks out there now. Say it ain't so.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just spent the day tumbling more than a thousand pennies, a lot more than that actually. I rolled up 20 rolls of the ones which weren't zincoln corroded.

Used aquarium gravel, water to the top of the coins, and just a touch of detergent for three hours. Got a gallon tub full remaining to be rolled - ran out of tubes right now - gotta hit Walmart!

Certainly separated good from corroded (maybe I'll bury the corroded ones in the back yard so 100 years from now someone might think they found paydirt!).

At least I was doing something today - the coming morn is supposed to be cool here and I need to get out for a while and find more zincolns....

If I were getting paid for the time I spent doing this, 4 hours for $10 = $2.50 an hour just cleaning them up and sorting them....

They say people like us are crazy. I just gotta say they might be onto something :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened an account with a bank that had a Coinstar.
If you have an account, you don't get charged when you deposit your coinstar total. If you're over sixty two, there is no minimum balance and no monthly account maintenance fee.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT YOU DO NEXT TIME IS- roll them - I put one new one at each end - so if they take a peak
up here they do to make sure its not a bar of steel - guess some yrs back - guys cut a bunch
of steel rod the length and size of quarter rolls - so some tellers will look at one end to make sure
its coins

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like Casper, I get coin rolls free from the bank. After I tumble my coins I roll them putting a shiny coin on each end. In the past, when we had vending machines at work, I'd put the brown clad coins in the vending machine and then hit coin return and pull new shiny coins from the return tray. I was hoping to pull a silver, but that never happened.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been thinking of taking the rotting zincolns and filling in some holes in my driveway!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think people think iam kidding when i tell them that i put my clad in my washing machine and just leave them there for a couple of months,no iam not married.
brad
Then you wash your clothes in the toilet using the plunger as an agitator? Those sani flush stick ons do a fine job on the whites! When I took my dog to the vet for her rabies shot, the vet asked how do you keep her teeth so white? I said one word Sani flush. The look I got as she got back up on the stool was priceless!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened an account with a bank that had a Coinstar.
If you have an account, you don't get charged when you deposit your coinstar total. If you're over sixty two, there is no minimum balance and no monthly account maintenance fee.
Wow! What bank is that????? All I get from my bank is the finger.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, but not being married makes your coins last longer.

I just spilled my glass of tea on my keyboard :BangHead:

I shook it and wiped it repeatedly. Lost one about a year ago for the same danged reason! Maybe I'm a tad incompetent in my elder years~

Back to the topic, I've a whole lot more to cash in, and about twice as many zincolns to roll above the ones I posted.

Hey! We got dirty coins no matter the lengths we go through to clean them.

I'll be plucking out the corroded ones - with a wee bit of leniency! Got about 2,000 to go yet in just converting coins into cash and giving me more storage space.

I don't think my bank will like me anymore.....

Such is life :(

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my bank only takes rolled coins, easy enough to put zincs in the middle of newer ones

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take my pennies to the coin star. I keep a jar at the house for the rejected pennies as well as the mutilated clad.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does being married make your coins cleaner

No, but being SINGLE does. If he were married, we all know those coins would NEVER be in the washer in the first place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread