ok i need some advice here

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one
ok well i have come to realize that my cheap $80.00 ebay detector is not too good .

yeah i know the saying you get what you pay for but is that fully true in metal detecting ?

i was thinking about trying to find a better detector on ebay or maybe on this board .

well i think that it should have these :
tells the approximate depth
and approximate find ,metal ,or type

also would $200.00 be enough or will i need more ?

so what do you think anything else i should look for ? Then second how do you pin point where the item is i have not had much luck with this cheap tector .

so PLEASE help me out ,i want cool coins too

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an almost new ace 250 for sale... I upgraded ... so check the forsale boards too.... I will gladly sell it to ya...I only had it a couple months and didnt even send in the warranty card.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people have said they like the Bounty Hunters and in the next breath they are talking about an upgrade.

For the money, near $200.00 or couple bits more you can get a NEW Garrett Ace 250. I haven't used one myself yet but there are many good reports of nice finds being made with the Ace 250. Go to the Garrett website and read the field tests or check out the Garrett forum page here.

You can also call Tony at tcmetaldetectors.com Tony has helped lots of guys get a good deal and won't steer you wrong. Buying from a real dealer with a store front and website will help save you from getting ripped off. There are good deals to be had on ebay, but what you have to ask yourself is, "Why is this dude selling this if it is so good?"

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd save up to about $350 and look for a used Minelab Sovereign GT in near mint condition. Watch the various online forums Classified ad sections. Don't be afraid to try to talk a person down on the price. I do this all the time.

If you're limited in spending money, buy used. A quality used machine in top condition is usually worth far more than a cheap machine brand new.

The meters can be fun but actually they're more of an hindrance than help. Sound hunting is far superior.

HH,

Badger

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish I could of found a used GT that cheap! The closest I came to that price range was the old xs sovereigns. Most GT go for 400-500 that I have seen. So if you do find one in the 300 price range JUMP ON THAT PUPPY! The ace is great, I love it for park hunting. It gives you depth and a meter that tells you what it thinks you are digging. I like those features, although most of the time when I dig another pull tab I am out in the middle of the field yelling you lying SOB. We have a love hate relationship.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
txkickergirl said:
wish I could of found a used GT that cheap! The closest I came to that price range was the old xs sovereigns. Most GT go for 400-500 that I have seen. So if you do find one in the 300 price range JUMP ON THAT PUPPY! The ace is great, I love it for park hunting. It gives you depth and a meter that tells you what it thinks you are digging. I like those features, although most of the time when I dig another pull tab I am out in the middle of the field yelling you lying SOB. We have a love hate relationship.

I have a similar relationship with my Explorer II. Just adding my 2 cents worth. I recently saw a Deleon on one of the forums for $345.00 This is one GREAT machine and that is a killer deal!! I love my Deleon, it is lightweight easy to learn and use and runs forever on a set of batteries. Again just my 2 cents worth. :)

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My lunch time hunting partner uses the Ace 250 and likes it also. She also has a hate for digging those dang pull tabs. I also like the Minelab's and the X30 while a bit more costly, is a great machine and worth consideration. Joe

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
dont let the lowend detector keep you from having fun. hit the totlots (kiddie playgrounds). i found many $$$ in clad with my radioshack detector in totlots. i wear boots to kick the sand around when i get a beep. beep, kick sand and check spot again. when "beep" is now in the sand you kicked over then spread sand lightly with foot and rescan with detector. usually you can uncover the item using this technique without bending down. deeper items can be uncovered using the heel of the boot to dig the sand out. yea, somethings may require a small shovel but most can be unearthed just using your boot. when you're done, kick the sand back in the hole and tamp it down.

i've found this saves time and backpain once you get the hang of it. i can cover a totlot faster than a guy using a shovel. it also makes the beep happy radioshack detector more enjoyable to use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have 4 detectors, New 1 I got from TonyinCt from here on the boards, great man to deal with, the other 3 (2 Excals and a Whites 6000 pro xl) I bought used and were working perfectly when I received them, so you can get a good deal and price used if you look.

One I bought on Ebay, (used creditcard through paypal for protection) one from a "for sale" board here and one from another site from a thread I bosted on several forums on looking for detector (both these sellers were respected members on the forums). I personally knew none of the sellers.

When I asked why they were selling them, all said basically the same thing, upgrading and have too many detectors, so you can get a good deal and price used if you look and protect yourself. I have been buying on EBay for well over 10 years, have only been ripped off once, never received a DVD I paid $10 for about 8 years ago.

Just my opinion, but if you have bought a cheap one and your not satisfied with it and you want to upgrade why not upgrade way up, save a little more money, and get a unit you will enjoy for years, and you can still resale or trade and get most of your investment back down the road if you want if you take care of them.

All 3 of the ones I bought used I can trade or resale and get most (70-85%) of my money back. Bite the bullet on a good detector, and the investment will reward you for years to come in many ways........ ;)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I agree with TH,if you are sure that you are addicted save all you can and get the best machine you can. I upgraded 4 times was a big PITA but now I have a machine that I dont have to think 'what would I find if I had X machine?' It also depends on what you want from a detector,the places you want to hunt. The very best tot lot hunter on this board hunts exclusively with a machine from like the 80's but he digs every single sound,no discrimination. Hes found enough this year to buy about any detector he wants but I bet ya next year hes still swinging the same detector. If you want to not find trash then basically dont metal detect. We all find trash dig up piles,barrels full of it. I may dump the trash out of my pouch 3 times in a day,but I dig anything that sounds interesting. Sure I can almost always tell when its a coin but its way more fun when I have no idea what it might be.

OP
OP
zartan7779

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one
thanks for the advice .

yes i know ill dig trash and thats fine i just remove it all and throw it in the trash can ,so i wont try and find it again

i went to a local tot lot that has a football field too found some trash but ill try again , how can i dig with out messing up the grass to much should i bring a bucket to put the dirt in that i remove from the hole ?

i can remove the top layer of grass by cutting it with the garden shovel and basicly fold it over , is that what you guy are doing too ?

hopefully you guys dont think im being a pain , but i just wanna find something good lol ill take a clad penny as good about now lol .

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
theres lots of digging techniques, they dont all work for everyone since there's soo much difference in soil composition.

i'm in miami and our soil is either black loam with mixed bits of coral rock or its like sugar sand with mixed bits of coral rock. what i have found works for me is to stab my garden shovel about 2/3 of the way into the dirt an inch or two from where the target center should be and then push the shovel towards the target. this gives me enough room to probe around and usually snatch the target out without having to dig out much dirt. then its just a mater of kicking the dirt in with my boot and tamping the grass back in place. in really well rooted grass i may cut a flap but i try to get my target out with as little digging as i can get away with.

i hunt mostly school yards, empty lots, and city parks so making it pretty is not as important as making sure its covered up solid.

some guys can plug coins out with screwdriver. i just havent gotten the hang of that.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Cibola, 340.00 new ,lifetime warranty , very lite with good performance. I bought one new and then my hunting partner tried mine and bought one the next day. Lots of bang for the buck. I have dug musket balls at over a foot with it.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
You want to try and dig a plug,leaving the roots quite long with a lot of dirt still attached to them. This gives the grass the best chance of staying alive. A flap basically rips the roots away from their supports and will generally kill the grass. I try and pop the coin out if its shallow or dig a plug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread