A question of ethics - old abandoned graveyards - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: A question of ethics - old abandoned graveyards

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19225 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I do see both side of the question responses. Right at this moment, the voting is 6 against and 4 for.

As you can imagine, I got a side of me which is in favor of hitting it. And then there is that side which is horrified at the thought.

Won't be hitting it anytime soon. I do have the lust, but I also have the reverence.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8544 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It's been a subject debated for ages with good arguments on both sides. Take the people who have excavated various tombs around the world, including King Tut......archies or grave robbers? And we aren't even talking about digging up somebodies remains.....just surface finds from visitors. Unless it's forbidden at a particular site, I see it as a personal choice. I respect that decision either way.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    19225 times
    Cuda, I won't be hitting there this week, maybe next. I won't go on the graves.

A whole lot to think about on this. Faced right now on the "right thing to do"
    Kace, Hillbilly Prince and Truth like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

us
    Feb 2010
    1353 times
    Deep, my two cents is not in a graveyard. Outside is ok, but most here in Missouri have a fence around them, if nothing else, just to keep out cattle. It sounds like back where you are they, or most of them, are NOT fenced.
    In Northwest Iowa an original surveyor died while in the field. The crew buried him and pulled ties (noted distances from a describable object) to the grave from a section corner. The next year the crew brought back a headstone. 100 years later the farmer that owned the land had pulled said headstone and moved it to the fence line and planted corn over the guy. Do what your heart tells you. Good luck.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
    4972 times
    This is a decision only you can make. Personally, i have no problem hitting a place such as you describe. For those who consider this offensive yet relic hunt battle fields consider this... they are both grave yards. The difference is one has head stones where the other does not.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14443 times
    Metal Detecting
    Loved ones have left things on gravestones in memory of the dead,
    I would not want to be the person to take those
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3698 times
    I live in a very old area where there are many churches going back to the early 1700s. Many of these churches have ancient graves right on the church grounds. When I began hunting in 1970 I went to many of these old churches and asked permission to hunt the church grounds. EVERY pastor or minister (no early Catholic churches here) told me to hunt away, have fun, and said the grave area was OK to hunt around in too since they knew I was only looking for old coins and artifacts and that my detector would not hit much below eight inches. I have not been struck down by lightning and have no remorse, and I did find a lot of large cents. Back in the day folks picnicked at churches and kids played among the graves, people weren't uptight about hanging around the graves or letting their kids play there. Nowadays I think some people might get the wrong idea when seeing a person MDing in an old cemetery so it could stigmatize our hobby but if one is way back in the thicket where you won't be seen by the public I see no harm in it. There are many on this forum who have some inane disapproval of this practice. I have heard people here claim coins were left on grave markers but I have NEVER seen one and I used to clean a lot of cemeteries in the Boy Scouts and have visited a lot more and nobody in my family or any of my friend's families have ever done or heard of this practice. I think when it is my time my marker will have written on it "feel free to detect here, it doesn't bother me". Usually threads about this seem to get closed quickly.
    Last edited by gunsil; Aug 28, 2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    14915 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    The fact that you posted this, must give you some pause....
    There have been many threads about this here on Tnet, and you’ve been around here long enough to know what the general opinion is....
    If you really thought it was ok, you would have already done it by now.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600
    11796 times
    I asked and got permission to do the parking area around the cemetery where my parents are buried. There is an old church on the property that has been decommissioned. I was told by the grounds keeper who now is restoring the grounds and the church that I have no limitations around the parking area or around the church. I spent 2 hours detecting and found a lot of nails, aluminum siding pieces, pull tabs and beer bottle caps. I did find 16 cents in clad. I kept everything in my pouch to show anyone with questions about what I was doing. I was cleaning up the trash. I wanted to do this parking area because a lot of weddings also took place here. It’s fairly close to the road and out in the country but every vehicle that drove by would slow down and look at what I was doing. No hassles from anyone. I did not go on the cemetery grounds. I know most people in the area and I have many family members buried here. No regrets.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    4708 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    The graveyard is very close to me on a hilltop and heavily forested - thus long forgotten. My ancestors settled this holler around sometime early to mid 1700's.

There's no way in the world I'd even consider detecting on the graves themselves - though it was custom in the early days here to place a coin on the grave of a loved one. What I was considering is the area around the graves and not in the immediate yard itself where people would have crowded for the funerals.
    Here's a pic of a marker with coins on it for you. There's always been old coins on his and his family's markers. Whenever I'm up there I'll pick any of them up off the ground that have fallen or been knocked off by the grounds keeper and put them back.

It's a custom in some SWMO cemeteries to put coins on markers too.

My thoughts on Detecting cemeteries is No, because I consider all burial land to be hallowed ground.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Detecting parking areas though on the outside of old cemeteries.

JMO,
    Kace

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2353.PNG 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	1626315
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

us
    Apr 2011
    Wyoming
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, DetectorPro Headhunter & BlissTool
    1170 times
    Metal Detecting
    I can see both sides of the conundrum. Me personally, I would not go digging around grave sites unless you are well outside of the area. Think about it this way, if you saw folks digging around one of your loved ones grave, would you get upset? Probably, so this is why I would stay away. There are plenty of other areas to go detecting.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    19225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaveDave View Post
    The fact that you posted this, must give you some pause....
    There have been many threads about this here on Tnet, and you’ve been around here long enough to know what the general opinion is....
    If you really thought it was ok, you would have already done it by now.
    Thanks Dave, you really took it down to the basics.

You are right my friend. Tested as I was, I really can't do this. I am quite willing however to walk around the area with my detector listening to chirps.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
    4972 times
    Actually people do leave money at grave stones. My first encounter with this was in japan where money and food is left at family shrines. My first and only encounter with money being left at a grave here in the united states was a couple years ago when my son and i were out in the woods. He found a family cemetery. He did not take the money but put it back on the marker, tried to straighten up the flowers a bit and then left.

Fast forward to around the 4 min mark and you can see the graves and what he did.

DeepseekerADS, Kace and RustyGold like this.
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12680 times
    I lived in SW MO since 1970 and been in a few cemeteries. I have never seen a coin on a grave but maybe I wasn't looking. You know why pepple did that? I have a book about Ozark magic,superstitions, and folklore. I need to check it.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8544 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by mindcrime1988 View Post
    I can see both sides of the conundrum. Me personally, I would not go digging around grave sites unless you are well outside of the area. Think about it this way, if you saw folks digging around one of your loved ones grave, would you get upset? Probably, so this is why I would stay away. There are plenty of other areas to go detecting.
    It wouldn't upset me any more than someone running a lawn mower or weed whacker over the grave......or even the area being dug up to be resodded. Like I mentioned before, my loved one is 6 feet under ground, not barely under the surface.
    gunsil and Tpmetal like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links