A question of ethics - old abandoned graveyards - Page 8
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: A question of ethics - old abandoned graveyards

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    330 times
    abandoned? How so?

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
    4680 times
    I own property that has an old graveyard on it. It dates from the 1820?ish to the latest one I've found 1940ish...
    When I bought the land we knew of the grave yard but only 13 or so stones. Another neighbor bought the land next to me and put in a driveway up the hill to his new house. He hired a dozer and all of the sudden I had tons of rocks pushed up next to my fence line. They turned out to be cairn burial stones. We ended up finding at least 7 cairn burial sites and around 30 or so headstones in the piles. According to the guy running the dozer, the "rocks" were under every large tree. A previous owner had obviously stacked these stones in piles up against trees so they could brush hog the land. I'm guessing around 60-70ish graves exist on this hillside and a lot have been dozed onto my side of a newly erected fence. Their are CW headstones and Cavalry stones along with MANY small children's stones. I have to admit, before the new guy bought the land and made a driveway I detected all over that land. The only things I found were a bunch of lead (what I now know are stone "balancers") and bricks and a shovel....and a corner piece and hinge to a coffin.... Oh and barbed wire and some pieces of wrought iron fencing from way back when someone cared... I thought I was detecting the outskirts, but I was all over the major part of the original cemetery. I don't feel bad because I didn't know at the time, but I won't detect around the headstones anymore.....

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2140 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    This question is raised occasionally as you know. My standard answer is.... If you need to ask, you know in your heart it is wrong.
    Mackaydon and DeepseekerADS like this.

us
    May 2020
    Arkansas
    Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I always thought it was against the law to dig in any graveyard.

Apr 2020
    Humboldt.Ca
    Bandito Umax ll, Garrett AT
    8 times
    Lots of widows/widowers leave wedding rings on their beloveds grave....that's just bad jue-jue...there's soooo many other....other....places to hunt....good luck
    DeepseekerADS and Mackaydon like this.

us
    Relic Recoverist

Jun 2015
    BEAN FIELD ,IL
    Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
    236 times
    I will openly admit. That I have done this on a couple of long lost plots. My only rule is.....TAKE NOTHING. yes I have found coins, tokens. Even handmade trinkets. But you have to show honor. If I find an item that is next to a headstone. I won't place it on top. Instead I place it a few inches under the base of that stone, away from signals and anyone else's greedy eye. If you are talking about an old but modern day cemetery then I probly would shy away just from the scrutiny of it all. I've NEVER used any digging tool, nor removed, or exchanged an item.

us
    May 2020
    Teknetics T2 Se Ltd. Fisher CZ3D Minelab Etrac
    33 times
    Digging a battlefield is the same thing. You won't be digging but a few inches. I know the people who dig battlefields like to say they are "saving history" but that is just a way for them to justify digging in a graveyard.
    Mackaydon likes this.

us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Minelab equinox 800/ Deus XP
    148 times
    Relic Hunting
    I had a friend that would search out the Grave Yards....never could do it myself. His rationalization was grieving families would loose coins during the services.
    Have detector, Will Travel RJW

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links