A question of ethics - old abandoned graveyards

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

RevAndy

Jun 16, 2018
RI
Detector(s) used
Teknetic 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This referee has toss a red flag on the field, 15 yards, automatic 4th down, for even thinking that this is OK!!!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This referee has toss a red flag on the field, 15 yards, automatic 4th down, for even thinking that this is OK!!!

And THAT my friend is why I haven't hit it!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eh, in my book if you cleaned up the graveyard and markers first all would be forgiven.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No No. Taboo.!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, the problem is PUBLIC PERCEPTION. If someone saw me detecting in a graveyard, no matter how old or abandoned, I would be labeled a grave robber. If I was there with a small group of people wearing orange vests, working in taped off grids with digging tools and clipboards, in all probability no one would bat an eye. :skullflag:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, I would not

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe in karma. The hindus can't even agree on it.
Anyway,are you talking about using a MD to look for coins and such in the area? That doesn't seem out of bounds. Although if you are seen it would ptobably be thought ghoulish.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never ever detect inside a graveyard no matter how old it is. now on the other hand, I would not have a problem detecting the area surrounding where people could have dropped change or other things when visiting the graveyard or attending funerals.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never ever detect inside a graveyard no matter how old it is. now on the other hand, I would not have a problem detecting the area surrounding where people could have dropped change or other things when visiting the graveyard or attending funerals.

The graveyard is very close to me on a hilltop and heavily forested - thus long forgotten. My ancestors settled this holler around sometime early to mid 1700's.

There's no way in the world I'd even consider detecting on the graves themselves - though it was custom in the early days here to place a coin on the grave of a loved one. What I was considering is the area around the graves and not in the immediate yard itself where people would have crowded for the funerals.

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I detected a farm field, we were joking that there was a civil war hoard buried in the field; when about 10 feet outside, repeat "outside" a fenced in family plot I got a signal, dug it and 3 feet down was a casket. We contacted the Farmer, he had us dig more to confirm it was a metal casket. He was shocked and didn't know who it was or why it was "outside" the plot....strange things do happen.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You got a signal, 3 feet deep, with your Garrett? What coil? lol

Go for it DeepseekerADS. The coin placed on a grave is one not to disturb. Anything accidentally dropped in the area is the same as if it were dropped in a park.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The graveyard is very close to me on a hilltop and heavily forested - thus long forgotten. My ancestors settled this holler around sometime early to mid 1700's.

There's no way in the world I'd even consider detecting on the graves themselves - though it was custom in the early days here to place a coin on the grave of a loved one. What I was considering is the area around the graves and not in the immediate yard itself where people would have crowded for the funerals.

Personally, I'd have no problem with it, but, I'm not religious or superstitious. It's not as if you're digging up their grave. You're looking for shallow targets, not something 6 feet under. As mentioned, I'd show respect for the area by cleaning the place up, mow the brush, straighten the headstones, pull some weeds, pop some large cents! Anyone who wants to detect on top of my grave, is welcome to do it! Hopefully, that will be way in the future though! :laughing7:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...….

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I do see both side of the question responses. Right at this moment, the voting is 6 against and 4 for.

As you can imagine, I got a side of me which is in favor of hitting it. And then there is that side which is horrified at the thought.

Won't be hitting it anytime soon. I do have the lust, but I also have the reverence.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a subject debated for ages with good arguments on both sides. Take the people who have excavated various tombs around the world, including King Tut......archies or grave robbers? And we aren't even talking about digging up somebodies remains.....just surface finds from visitors. Unless it's forbidden at a particular site, I see it as a personal choice. I respect that decision either way.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cuda, I won't be hitting there this week, maybe next. I won't go on the graves.

A whole lot to think about on this. Faced right now on the "right thing to do"

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Deep, my two cents is not in a graveyard. Outside is ok, but most here in Missouri have a fence around them, if nothing else, just to keep out cattle. It sounds like back where you are they, or most of them, are NOT fenced.
In Northwest Iowa an original surveyor died while in the field. The crew buried him and pulled ties (noted distances from a describable object) to the grave from a section corner. The next year the crew brought back a headstone. 100 years later the farmer that owned the land had pulled said headstone and moved it to the fence line and planted corn over the guy. Do what your heart tells you. Good luck.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a decision only you can make. Personally, i have no problem hitting a place such as you describe. For those who consider this offensive yet relic hunt battle fields consider this... they are both grave yards. The difference is one has head stones where the other does not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread