Classic IDX how good in trashy areas, should I use 5.3 coil or smaller one?

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone I have a Whites Classic IDX and was wondering how good of a machine is it? I used it a few days ago at an old plantation site, had alot of trouble finding my targets because there is alot of nails everywhere. Should I have gone with a smaller coil because there were so many nails. Any suggestions? Most of these old house sites have tons and tons of old square nails and if there are coins by them I am very sure it will mask out the coin. Should I get a different machine? Please help me with this because I need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks ;D

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Assuming you're using it correctly, that's a good machine for averaging through, and/or seeing through iron nail. That's a 2-filter machine, not know for depth, but for getting through/around junky sites. Generally machines that are power-house deep-seekers (4 filters), will tend to mask in junky/iron laden areas.

Shooter204

Aug 8, 2007
Central Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Classic
Hi
I am by no means an expert but here is my 2 cents.

I also own a Classic IDX , it is a very good machine but it does not have the depth that others have.
If you are running the stock 9.5 coil you can try turning the disc to a higher setting to eliminate nails. My machine
cuts most nails out at just past ring range, I run the sens at just past the preset.

One thing I have done to my machine is remove the Made in Usa label so I can adjust the ground balance. It tells you how
to do this in the manual. It only takes a very tiny movement of the screw to make a pretty big change.

I also have the 5.3 inch bullseye and it does a very nice job in trashy areas, with this small coil you may still need to adjust the nails
out if you get to much chatter. I also over lap a lot of my swings because it is easy to miss stuff with this coil.

If you have any more questions just let me know I will try to help.
Let me know what ya find cuase it sounds like a good sight.

Shooter

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
ive used a classic Id and found a nice buffalo nickle at 9" next to a chain link fence. most of the coins here are only a couple in. down. i thought that was pretty good.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the 6" would be best, ive used the 4x6 wich seperates great but lacks the depth about 4 to 5 in at best, the 8 inch goil also works great, just use slow sweeps

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Usually lots of nails means some kind if structure was there. Is it now an open area??? Or close to other structures?? It is possible if the area was not completely graded after buildings were torn down to find where the building was.Nails would be found on the outside of where the building was. If you find a spot where not too many nails are compared to close by. Detect very slow and you might find some good items.
If you dig all the nails( shallower than the coins) you will then be able to detect the deeper coins that the nails masked, because they were in the way.The smaller coil will help with separating the coins and nails better than a larger coil because of the smaller area it can detect. Overlap your swings and dig the nails. I know you are trying to avoid THAT but sometimes, good items are deeper and better you can scan the ground the better you won't miss any coins.
1 coin can be in a single square inch area. A 3 foot by 3 foot section of ground has 1,296 square inches at 1 inch depth..at a 6inch depth the square inches is 7,776. Cover the ground completely or you might miss the square inch that could hold a nice 1916D Mercury Dime worth thousands!!!!

The Dimeman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread