Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: I need some input please.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2018
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I need some input please.

Hello, I am new to metal detecting. I've been searching around in my yard and finding a few things and learning and now I have a few questions for the experts. My house was built in 1937 and there has been activity at my property since the 1830s as far as I can trace back through research. Which leads to my first question. The back yard is FULL of hits. Alot of iron and weak better hits. I have probably dug about 100 nails in the past 4 days. Is this common? Would this be a sign of the original homestead? I've also been finding peices of broken ceramic dishes in the holes as well. These hits have all been showing 6 inches on my machine, but in ending up finding them at 10-12 inches. I have also been finding 1930's and 40's zinc jar tops left and right at over a foot deep. Did people just chuck their jars in the yard back then? I get iron hits deeper, but I've gone 3 plus feet on holes and not found anything. As far as coins I have found some clad and one 1950 wheat penny all at 3 inches.. My question for that one is. If I am looking for older coins, should I be digging all these random deep trashy hits looking for coins 10 inches deep? It's just very confusing that I am only finding clad at shallow depth and iron and mystery jar lids super deep. Not much in between. Thanks for any info on my new hobby and my seemingly odd situation. I'm loving it!
    Kray Gelder and Nitric like this.

The big nail patches could be where earlier homes or outbuilding had burned or rotted into the ground. I hunt one 1911 house that was built on the foundation and using the same chimneys of a 1860s house that burned in 1900. So many nails that it will make you crazy, but there have been some good finds. Almost every old country house that I hunt has canning jar lids. Some were probably lost, but most places had a burn spot or pit or gully that junk went into. I would advise you to turn up your discrimination and pick the great signals first and then go back and dig it all. There will be lots of trash but I'm sure you will find some goodies. Practice digging nice holes while in your yard, so later you will feel good in that Nice Victorian Mansions yard when you get it.
    Wingrad, Nitric, tokameel and 3 others like this.

Sep 2018
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Steve View Post
    The big nail patches could be where earlier homes or outbuilding had burned or rotted into the ground. I hunt one 1911 house that was built on the foundation and using the same chimneys of a 1860s house that burned in 1900. So many nails that it will make you crazy, but there have been some good finds. Almost every old country house that I hunt has canning jar lids. Some were probably lost, but most places had a burn spot or pit or gully that junk went into. I would advise you to turn up your discrimination and pick the great signals first and then go back and dig it all. There will be lots of trash but I'm sure you will find some goodies. Practice digging nice holes while in your yard, so later you will feel good in that Nice Victorian Mansions yard when you get it.
    Thanks for the tip! I switched from all metal to the coin notch on my machine and turned the sensitivity down to 2 in order to cherry pick the shallow stuff for awhile. Once I cover the acre I'll start working on the trash/deeper stuff. If I do all metal my machine goes crazy on every inch of my yard haha. Found about 87 cents in clad in a small section of the front yard today. If I keep that up maybe I'll have enough for a better detector by the time I get to the deep stuff. As far as treasures, I did find an old wood splitting wedge yesterday and i found the houses original septic tank. I'll just keep picking away at it! I am coming to regret every time I ran over a pop can on the lawnmower. You had mentioned burned structures... that makes sense as I have been finding small peices of charred wood in the nail bed too.
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    6605 times
    Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. I would turn up the disc and dig high tones first them lower the disc and dig med. Tones. It should give you a little more confidence in yourself and the machine. And most of all go low and slow. Good luck.
    Nitric and Kray Gelder like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13983 times
    If a previous dwelling was razed/bulldozed ect. you will have a debris field.

Some old homesteads had multiple buildings. For livestock and other activities ,but also for assurance of shelter should the homestead burn. And fires were not uncommon.

Deliberate trash and debris were often concealed from foot traffic.
    Imagine the value of a horse ,then have it step on a glass shard...

More research might lead to better ideas of what structures existed at your place ,and what happened there.
    The depth of your targets suggest deliberate spreading of fill.
    I hunt one old park that is debris laden from a village fire in the eighteen hundreds.
    The "basement" of layers is around a foot deep.
    There is the burnt brick,nails ect from what was spread there.
    Below that is out of reach for me but contains drops before that fill/debris was added.
    The edges of debris fields there and at other sites is where I scrounge occasional recoveries from the more original ground in the thinner debris/fill layers.
    Or beyond the added material sites edges.

Noticed a large old tree stump was being removed today in that old park.
    Did the process bring soil up from below??
    Wingrad, Nitric and Kray Gelder like this.

Sep 2018
    25 times
    Thanks rook! I'm pretty sure my property hasn't been detected before.. it's kind of overwhelming the amount of tones I get. I'm half tempted to try to find somewhere with less stuff in the ground so I can figure out what I'm doing a little better. But I've been pulling clad every day, so I am either getting better, or there is that much cash in the ground. Haha
    Nitric likes this.

Sep 2018
    25 times
    That's good info. Makes sense that they would do that. And I live in a rural area, I'm thinking it was the original house (with all the broken dishware and porcelain. There was a home on the property in the 1879 survey map I found and I'm thinking it burned down and the current house was built closer to the road.
    releventchair and Nitric like this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    5071 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sounds like you are having fun! Typically I find concentrations of mason jar lids in areas around old home sites (early 1900s) toward the back of the dwelling, garbage dump area. Lots of nails (especially if they are hand forged square nails) let you know you found an old building. These are all good signs except the depth. I find old silver and copper coins from 3-6 around old sites. Your deeper targets sound like fill. Good idea to move to coin mode to limit the nails. Spread out your search. Try different areas. Your bound to start popping some old silver coins soon! Good luck!
    Nitric likes this.

Sep 2018
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    Sounds like you are having fun! Typically I find concentrations of mason jar lids in areas around old home sites (early 1900s) toward the back of the dwelling, garbage dump area. Lots of nails (especially if they are hand forged square nails) let you know you found an old building. These are all good signs except the depth. I find old silver and copper coins from 3-6 around old sites. Your deeper targets sound like fill. Good idea to move to coin mode to limit the nails. Spread out your search. Try different areas. Your bound to start popping some old silver coins soon! Good luck!

Thanks! I can tell there is potential. Having fill would explain why it seems pretty clean until about 6-8 inches in the back. Every time I go out in the front yard I've hit clad at 2-3 inches. I can go out for 2 minutes out front and come back in with a coin lol. I'll have to go and try the back yard some more with all the info you guys have shared and now that I've figured out how to make my cheapo machine work a bit better.
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    2501 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to TNet from Northern Virginia
    Nitric and Wingrad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    13931 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes very common. Where do you live I want to come over?
    Nitric likes this.

Sep 2018
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    Yes very common. Where do you live I want to come over?
    Southeast Michigan. Come on by and teach me some tricks!
    Truth1253 and Nitric like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    13931 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingrad View Post
    Southeast Michigan. Come on by and teach me some tricks!
    One trick is to get use it digging those nails lol
    pat-tekker-cat and Nitric like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6417 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Before any more advice can be dispensed,
    we may need pics of that yard

and your dog, or cat, any fish you caught,
    an old barn (if you have one), and some birds.

J/K, lol. Welcome to T-net & keep having fun!
    The folks here are full of great wonderful advice,
    (me, not so much, no advice, I'm like an ole farm cat,
    roams around, and yowls every now & then).
    Nitric likes this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    Jun 2013
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
    36 times
    hey wingrad sounds like a lot of fun and ground to cover! just out of curiosity what detector are you using?
    Nitric likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links